News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Bocabear

The whole interior overhaul for Soarin' that was supposed to look like an airport was just kind of wrong... and instantly dated looking. They need to bring some design and wow factor inside... Less Mall Food Court, but make it really feel like the pavilion celebrates The Land...water features, Giant trees holding up the vaulted roof, some fantastic kinetics...Going inside should be amazing...and Living With The Land needs it's theme some back and a better finale... a better throughline and story....

Epcot82Guy

The whole interior overhaul for Soarin' that was supposed to look like an airport was just kind of wrong... and instantly dated looking. They need to bring some design and wow factor inside... Less Mall Food Court, but make it really feel like the pavilion celebrates The Land...water features, Giant trees holding up the vaulted roof, some fantastic kinetics...Going inside should be amazing...and Living With The Land needs it's theme some back and a better finale... a better throughline and story....

I liked the concept they went with, but I thought it needed to tell more of a story. Like going through major eras of airport design or flight. Or going through a stylized version of major biomes around the world. Or the LandPort - exploring the various ways we use flight to understand our planet (like use in agriculture, weather, and - of course - travel). Just something more than "generic office pretty".

Modern Disney seems to nail it when the queue has an IP to use (and with new stories - not rehashing the existing ones). But, they somehow lose all storytelling when there isn't one used.

James Alucobond

I think the Soarin' queue is the least of their concerns in there even if it could be more. I agree with you that the rest needs to be more reflective of visual trends from modern sustainable architecture rather than just looking like a food court, though. Just changing the railing, adding more natural materials like woods cladding, bringing in a new color scheme, and adding some actual flora (even if it's in the form of some fairly basic "green" planted walls or whatever) would do a lot.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Don’t know what that walkway level beam structure is, supposed to be a planter but looks like it could be a structure for interactive lighting or a fountain or maybe a splash pad. We can call it the Spalash Pad of Nations 🤣

Attachments

• 03FAB328-B1EB-448D-AC3D-1EFC8C0E1E4D.jpeg
    03FAB328-B1EB-448D-AC3D-1EFC8C0E1E4D.jpeg
    55 KB · Views: 134
  • 12A371B7-6982-4418-A0E2-CE0AD2B1C365.jpeg
    12A371B7-6982-4418-A0E2-CE0AD2B1C365.jpeg
    45.8 KB · Views: 135
  • 2B8F511E-5DB1-4C20-B0AD-9769148732D4.jpeg
    2B8F511E-5DB1-4C20-B0AD-9769148732D4.jpeg
    71.6 KB · Views: 132
  • E14414D2-083B-409B-85ED-2E460C448AB6.jpeg
    E14414D2-083B-409B-85ED-2E460C448AB6.jpeg
    206.9 KB · Views: 122

GladToBeHear

Unless the airport looks like this: https://www.architecturaldigest.in/...s-tallest-indoor-waterfall-safdie-architects/

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Vinnie Mac

Therein lies the problem. Out of all the parks in WDW, Epcot should especially be designing for the future. Not the present.
When I say "for today's time" I'm more so referring to the fact that the futurism theme is unfortunately not necessary. In terms of an educational futuristic theme at least. I dont know if theres a lot of appeal for an informal futuristic park in a world where we have all the information we could ever want at our finger tips. The future that was talked about in the 80's is already here.

UNCgolf

When I say "for today's time" I'm more so referring to the fact that the futurism theme is unfortunately not necessary. In terms of an educational futuristic theme at least. I dont know if theres a lot of appeal for an informal futuristic park in a world where we have all the information we could ever want at our finger tips. The future that was talked about in the 80's is already here.

There's a huge difference in watching a video or reading about something and experiencing it in person, though. It's the reason they still have trade shows for new technology/products, and why people still actually travel around the world. Or even visit WDW itself, for that matter.

James Alucobond

I didn't notice it before in the photos @Lands of Wonder posted above, but it looks like some of the larger plantings might be going in for the quadrant of the World Celebration gardens right outside of Creations (see right arrow below). The arrow at the left just verifies that it seems decent progress is being made on the southward-bound interior path on the World Nature side of the plaza.
celebration_progress.png

tparris

I didn't notice it before in the photos @Lands of Wonder posted above, but it looks like some of the larger plantings might be going in for the quadrant of the World Celebration gardens right outside of Creations (see right arrow below). The arrow at the left just verifies that it seems decent progress is being made on the southward-bound interior path on the World Nature side of the plaza.
View attachment 706941
I’ll be taking a trip on the monorail in the next hour, I’ll post some photos shortly after.

James Alucobond

Might be difficult to glimpse from the monorail, unfortunately. I was only able to catch it very briefly on a video while they were circling in front of the World Showcase promenade. Trees cut in front too quickly near the path to The Land, though it might be possible to see it through the awning over the stage at certain points, I suppose. It’s also possible some might be visible just over the wall from the ground near Creations if they’re tall enough.

Also worth noting that the last little chunk of path at the exit from Journey of Water has been poured as well as most of the path toward backstage from the pumping facility.

James Alucobond

Found another bit of footage from the monorail this evening. Looks like there's even more planted in the gardens than in the video I found originally, so it may indeed be viewable from within the park itself.

Other notes:
  • It looks like there might be some sort of cladding or sheetrock going on a northern wall of Communicore Hall. Very hard to tell due to poor video quality.
  • I think they may have added an attendant's podium to the entrance of Journey of Water between the three poles that will eventually support another canopy.
  • Lots of the lighter landscaping fill that typically appears just before trees go in has been deposited in the fenced-off area next to Guest Relations / Connections.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom