PHOTOS - Electric Vehicle charging now available at Disney's Animal Kingdom

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
ADAPTER GUIDE

Most outlets are either standard 110 volt outlets or higher powered 240 volt outlets. Higher powered outlets charge between four and six times faster than standard household outlets. If you plan to install an outlet in your garage, we recommend a NEMA 14-50 240 volt outlet.
Model S comes standard with three adapters which connect to most of the outlets you’ll find at home and in the wild: a NEMA 5-15 110 volt adapter, a NEMA 14-50 240 volt adapter, and a J1772 public charging station adapter. Additional adapters are available for sale online.

VOLTS / AMPS KILOWATTS MILES OF RANGE PER HOUR OF CHARGE
NEMA 5-15 Standard Outlet 110 V / 12 A 1.4 kW ----- 3
NEMA 5-20 Newer Standard Outlet 110 V / 15 A 1.8 kW ----- 4
NEMA 14-50 RVs and Campsites 240 V / 40 A 10 kW ----- 29
NEMA 10-30 Older Dryers 240 V / 24 A 5.8 kW ----- 17
What I was meaning was they'll need to track down an outlet close enough to the car to be usable, and then you have the problem of whether security or whoever will be OK with it being used.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Reading all of this is making me really wonder why people fork over thousands of dollars for electric vehicles. Seems like a lot of effort to make sure your car is actually driveable for the distance you want to go. Seems like it takes some spontaneity out of going places. Can't go too far because you might not be able to get back. I live in NJ and see tons of Teslas driving around. Yet I've never seen a charging port anywhere around. Guess it is all about looking cool puttering around town.

halltd

The only car that can get to AK is a Tesla. All but the Tesla have very short ranges and I doubt you would make it to AK from just about anywhere in Orlando. The EV hype is just that, hype.
I hope this is sarcasm, because there are plenty of all-electric cars that would make it to DAK and back (and then some). I live north of downtown which is about a 20-mile drive one-way. PLENTY of EVs have a range longer than 40-miles...usually much more. Ford Focus, BMW i3, Nissan Leaf, and plenty others have 80+ mile ranges.

alphac2005

This years models have gone up in range but real life driving is a different matter. Heat is a big factor in vampire loses so is speed, think highway driving etc. etc. What's on the road from previous years don't have that much of a range. The big thing being pushed by auto companies is hydrogen cars and I don't think EV's will survive. Doesn't matter only time will tell. Real world Leaf range has been about 30 miles up to this year BTW.

Do you own an EV? I heard many people say EV's are great yet I never talk to anyone who has one. I have a neighbor with a Tesla and he got it just for show. He also owns other exotic cars. Never have I talked to a person who has an EV who isn't buying it because it's odd.

It's very questionable if a battery powered car is actually greener then an ICE car. That's a whole other conversation.

I'm an EV owner. And to be very honest, you're quite off on your perceptions of an EV. Real world range of the Leaf at 30 MPG? That isn't even close. You're also completely off about heat. The warmer the temperature, the range improves. The sweet spot is 75-80 degrees F for battery mileage. As for highway driving, it's just like an ICE, go too fast, you effect your range (or MPG in ICE terms), but most EVs outside of Teslas have a lower maximum speed. I can only go 83 MPG max, which is fine by me. You fail to mention that EVs work like hybrids and regenerate, but in this case, regenerate the battery pack propelling the car. I have a stretch of highway that one way I can lose 8 miles of range, but going the other way can gain 12 miles of range. It all depends.

And, even the latest study, which was published within the past few weeks, has proven without a doubt that even an EV that has all of its electricity generated from a coal powered plant is vastly more friendly than an ICE for the environment.

I'd be happy to fill you in on any questions that you have. The area where I live has one of the highest concentrations of EVs in the nation. I literally can't go a quarter of a mile without seeing several.

alphac2005

I hope this is sarcasm, because there are plenty of all-electric cars that would make it to DAK and back (and then some). I live north of downtown which is about a 20-mile drive one-way. PLENTY of EVs have a range longer than 40-miles...usually much more. Ford Focus, BMW i3, Nissan Leaf, and plenty others have 80+ mile ranges.

You're right and I was hoping that was sarcasm, but I'm not so sure about that. I'm a proud EV owner and there continues to be a relentless disinformation campaign around the country about EVs. It's no surprise, the industry (GM) buried the EV1, but what most people don't understand that between CARB and CAFE, we will have a sizable amount of EVs around the country within a matter of years. I'm in the second highest concentrated market in the country and it's staggering. Once you own an EV, it's incredibly hard to imagine buying anything but especially since the concerns about range are all but going to vanish within the next two or three years.

Padraig

I'm an EV owner. And to be very honest, you're quite off on your perceptions of an EV. Real world range of the Leaf at 30 MPG? That isn't even close. You're also completely off about heat. The warmer the temperature, the range improves. The sweet spot is 75-80 degrees F for battery mileage.

EV range suffers loses in both temperature extremes. Anything above 30celsius will result in range loss. However if someone has a leaf and is only getting 30 miles distance, then there's something extremely wrong with the car.

alphac2005

EV range suffers loses in both temperature extremes. Anything above 30celsius will result in range loss. However if someone has a leaf and is only getting 30 miles distance, then there's something extremely wrong with the car.

Do you own an EV? I've not suffered range loss at 86 degrees. I'm not trying to sound combative, but us EV owners and enthusiasts get rather tired about all of the misinformation. Your range varies upon so many factors including terrain, temperature, driving style, and driving type (highway, in-town, stop and go regenerative). My only range loss occurs when temperatures are in the 60s and below or if the overnight charge is cold. We have days right now at 80/50 F and I'll have a charge up to 72-76 miles at that overnight temperature versus 78-84 when the temperature overnight is warmer.

DisneyOutsider

Reading all of this is making me really wonder why people fork over thousands of dollars for electric vehicles. Seems like a lot of effort to make sure your car is actually driveable for the distance you want to go. Seems like it takes some spontaneity out of going places. Can't go too far because you might not be able to get back. I live in NJ and see tons of Teslas driving around. Yet I've never seen a charging port anywhere around. Guess it is all about looking cool puttering around town.

That's the ticket! Condescendingly judge a whole group of people based on a tech they use that you obviously know nothing about.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
It varies depending on the individual, but in many cases, a typical daily drive is less than 50 miles. Take something like a Volt or Leaf, which can both do 50 miles on electric. That means they charge overnight, do the daily driving on pure electric, return home, and recharge. There is rarely any need to actually charge outside of the home. In the case of the Volt, it then has a gas engine that fires up after the first electric 50 miles to allow continued range like a regular car.

Goofyernmost

Wow WDW charges a lot...

(like 'charge, and, erm, 'parking lot', and...yeah...)
Yup, that's pretty unusual for them to charge a lot for things.;) Maybe it was just a mistake and they actually pay you to let them charge up your car as a gesture of appreciation for helping the environment. Hey, it could happen, but, don't count on my opinion, my pacemaker is running low.:in pain::jawdrop::joyfull:

TomHendricks

Since you seem pretty ignorant about electric vehicles, the Tesla Model S gets over 200 miles to a charge. So you can go from NYC to Baltimore on a single charge, it is only about 188 miles. So those Teslas you see puttering around, can do that for days without charging really. So I guess you don't have a cell phone? Because after some use, you will have to plug it in.

chargerag

Disney should do a ride where you get to ride around in a Tesla on a race track. My understanding is the Ludicrous mode on the Model S is a lot like taking off on the Aerosmith ride.

Bret with 1t

Disney should do a ride where you get to ride around in a Tesla on a race track. My understanding is the Ludicrous mode on the Model S is a lot like taking off on the Aerosmith ride.
It's better than the Aerosmith ride. Ludacris mode is 0 - 60 in 2.8 seconds. Rock 'n Roller Coaster is 0 - 56 in 2.8 seconds.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom