Tables in Wonderland dining discount program price increase begins today

MrPromey

Wow! Disney has found a way to even make discounts too expensive!

You've got to first go buy a hat - probably at an expensive new store in Downtown Disney Springs - and then tip it to them for this piece of evil genius. o_O

Some people say they are trying to get rid of annual pass-holders, others say they are trying to get rid of offsite guests. I'm starting to think they're trying to get rid of anyone with basic math skills.

docdebbi

at the new price it will still work for my family of six when we go in April. CRT, Crystal Palace, California Grill and at least six more sit down meals x 6 people makes it financially beneficial. which really kills me, because I would also like to say, "$@#%$% you disney!", but I won't cut off my nose to spite my face.
on the other hand.......if they really are trying to phase it out, then "HA, gotcha disney, take my money, even if you don't want it!", at least not for TiW.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

You've got to first go buy a hat - probably at an expensive new store in Downtown Disney Springs - and then tip it to them for this piece of evil genius. o_O

Some people say they are trying to get rid of annual pass-holders, others say they are trying to get rid of offsite guests. I'm starting to think they're trying to get rid of anyone with basic math skills.

Tend to agree with that because if you run the numbers as a guest they are increasingly not viable as a vacation destination. Disney seems to be aiming for the 'once in a lifetime' guest who has no gauge of past quality or pricing. Even the Motley Fool thinks that Disney may have gone TOO far with its current pricing model which seems to be weighted against the repeat visitor.

The fly in this ointment is DVC where collectively we as DVC owners have committed to decades of repeat visits. So what is WDW going to do about making the DVC owners happy especially since WDW is now so dependent on DVC sales...

matt9112

at the new price it will still work for my family of six when we go in April. CRT, Crystal Palace, California Grill and at least six more sit down meals x 6 people makes it financially beneficial. which really kills me, because I would also like to say, "$@#%$% you disney!", but I won't cut off my nose to spite my face.
on the other hand.......if they really are trying to phase it out, then "HA, gotcha disney, take my money, even if you don't want it!", at least not for TiW.

Sounds like you don't need to save money ;)

docdebbi

Sounds like you don't need to save money ;)

I must agree, I am blessed that I can afford to go to nice places while we are there, but I do count on the discount to make it work for my budget.. Same as room discounts, without a discount, I find the prices prohibitive, but I book planning on getting that discount.

BTW, if my daughter and son-in-law would stop reproducing, I wouldn't need discounts at all. Three kids in five years.

I may soon qualify for a group discount :rolleyes:

JWG

The fly in this ointment is DVC where collectively we as DVC owners have committed to decades of repeat visits. So what is WDW going to do about making the DVC owners happy especially since WDW is now so dependent on DVC sales...

Unfortunately, why does Disney need to care about this demographic? You've paid your money, you're covering the cost of staffing and maintaining the resort property on their behalf, the parks are overloaded and they don't need the attendance bump (evident in their lack of care/concern for the passholder). Frankly, they don't need to care about you (me). Even if you get upset, stop coming, go as far as selling your DVC interest - they don't care. You or someone else are paying the dues.

I hope things don't go that far, but the reality is until another dramatic economic downturn they don't have to care about DVC.

Edited to add: Other than to care enough to keep selling. If they ever decide to stop selling, members should really watch out. They have to be caring enough to get buyers.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Unfortunately, why does Disney need to care about this demographic? You've paid your money, you're covering the cost of staffing and maintaining the resort property on their behalf, the parks are overloaded and they don't need the attendance bump (evident in their lack of care/concern for the passholder). Frankly, they don't need to care about you (me). Even if you get upset, stop coming, go as far as selling your DVC interest - they don't care. You or someone else are paying the dues.

I hope things don't go that far, but the reality is until another dramatic economic downturn they don't have to care about DVC.

You are correct, Disney does not at the moment need to care about the DVC membership, Unfortunately they are mistreating their most loyal customers which even now is hurting sales of DVC as their properties are not selling out as fast as they have in the past. DVC is very much a 'word of mouth' product I bought in after another of my friends bought in and raved about it. (as did I for a very long time)

Had you asked me in the '00's through about 2012 is DVC something you should buy my answer would have been 'Hell Yes', Now it's stay away until things get better. Like so much else at WDW it's gone from being a 'top of the line' product which really was unique to just another overpriced timeshare.

tribbleorlfl

It's clear TDO doesn't want DVC and AP's taking up precious ADR's just like they don't want us taking up space in the parks during the Holidays.

I work in pricing, the only time we institute these kind of price hikes and benefit cuts is when we're passive-aggressively trying to blow bad business off the books rather than taking the PR hit and canceling it outright.

Let that sink in for a minute. Disney considers its most loyal customers "bad business."

JWG

It's clear TDO doesn't want DVC and AP's taking up precious ADR's just like they don't want us taking up space in the parks during the Holidays.

I work in pricing, the only time we institute these kind of price hikes and benefit cuts is when we're passive-aggressively trying to blow bad business off the books rather than taking the PR hit and canceling it outright.

Let that sink in for a minute. Disney considers its most loyal customers "bad business."
Well, Disney considsers its most loyal theme park guests bad business anway. This has been true in California for a long-time (even though that park lives off of repeat customers). I'm somewhat surprised it took WDW this long to start catching up. WDW is much more about the one-time / infrequent guest but had the more favorable AP/DVC/Resident policies. DVC is undersized in CA, AP discount for DVC is only $20, etc. Beware WDW loyalists... there's a story in CA that's bound to continue unfolding in FL.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Any chance of Disney 'buying back' the DVC interests so they can convert to cash since DVC is now considered 'bad business'?

matt9112

It's truly unbelievable to me how in the span of just 3-5 short years, Disney has priced my family out. Between ticket and resort increases and discount decreases, and the current state of the parks, they have reached a point I never thought they would for me - It's just no longer worth it. It really makes me sad.

universal is waiting for you. =) they have alot to offer.

but im in the same boat....we save for two years roughly to do each trip. and thats for a moderate and counting on the DDP promotion. so 2000 or so plus airfare.

Kevin_W

It would have been worth it this past year for us with the # of TS meals we ate - although, obviously, not as good of a deal. But part of TS meals for us has been to take a forced "break" in the parks. As my DD gets older and we don't really need those as much, we might do more QS/packed snacks and save the $$ overall.

I love the experience of eating at the TS restaurants; for us it's been a big part of the vacations. But as the vacations themselves have gotten more expensive, we'll probaly make do with less. (Which seems to be what they want us to do.)

JohnD

My current card expires 12/31. Obviously, I'll use it on my next trip in 25 days. I'll wait until my next trip to determine whether to renew. Since there is no renewal rate, there is no rush.

rucifee

It's the best way to kill them. Raise the break even point to where nobody will buy it, and then when no-one buys it they will have the statistics to kill the program due to lack of participation.

note2001

It's the best way to kill them. Raise the break even point to where nobody will buy it, and then when no-one buys it they will have the statistics to kill the program due to lack of participation.

First, I am a multi-year TIW card holder, so I'm certainly not putting down any of us who have bought one... but...
I find it ludicrous that Disney ever instituted a system we had to buy into in order to get discounts. But then again, this is the same company that charges $100 for a day pass to enter a park with 5 rides and the option to spend more money shopping and eating.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom