Kali River Locker Test

Kamikaze

Just saw this up on Orlando Theme Park News stating a new Test about Kali River and guests being forced to use Lockers ala Universal...

From Orlando Theme Park News....

IMO I wasn't a big fan about this..And since Universal started this it was much more fustrating having to wait and find a locker...Let's hope this doesn't catch on or it's going to get ugly..

Your Thoughts?

Six Flags does this, but the lockers aren't free.

JohnD

I think they have had lockers at Kali for a while. You just had to pay for them and they weren't mandatory.

Incorrect. I've never had to pay for them. I've always used the lockers and put everything in them. You just go up to the kiosk, enter a code to request a locker, and one is assigned to you.

JohnD

Really? I just went in March and used the lockers at Kali but I didn't remember paying for them. I was pretty sure they were free for the first hour or two or something... let it be known though that I could be remembering incorrectly...

Yes. Exactly.

Jon81uk

But you have to put your crap away on The Mummy and there's no way your stuff will hit another guest

That's why you only need to put larger items in lockers at Mummy. The outdoor coasters all have metal detectors to ensure every last coin is out of your pockets as there were reports of guests throwing things off the ride.

Maybe at Disney the guests behave slightly better. But also a coin thrown from the railroad would do less damage than a coin thrown from the Hulk.

Jon81uk

Incorrect. I've never had to pay for them. I've always used the lockers and put everything in them. You just go up to the kiosk, enter a code to request a locker, and one is assigned to you.

My last visit was five years ago so I either things change or I was wrong. But there has been lockers there for a while!

msteel

It may be partly to speed up getting people seated and seat-belted in the raft. A lot of people stow their things in the middle of the raft while they're still standing, and meanwhile CMs are yelling at them to sit down.
Carowinds had a "no loose items" policy on a few key rides this summer and loading time was the reason in that case. Of course the way Carowinds handles bags with bins at the unload platform is a big efficiency killer.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Having used the lockers at both Forbidden Journey and Gringott's (and the traffic jam/lack of availability), I can see this being a real issue, especially since Disney has fastpass with a schedule time, as opposed to Universal's express pass (which, btw, isn't available for Forbidden Journey or Gringott's). Unless Disney carefully thinks through the process, I can see upset guests who may miss their FP+ window as they scramble for the few available lockers.

We have a zip lock bag in our backpacks for our phones and cameras for rides like Kali and Splash. Once again, if a guest doesn't consider how wet Kali is (stand on the bridge and observe the ride) and plan accordingly to protect their electronic/digital devices - why is that Disney's (and subsequently ours) problem? Install a BIG sign that says, "You WILL get wet on this ride" and hand out plastic bags for those who want them. And then have a CM at the exit whose sole purpose is to throw in the trash all the plastic bags people will drop on the ground as they leave. Oh, wait, I forgot, this is Animal Kingdom, so they probably won't hand out plastic bags. Oh, well. Bring your own.

BTW, not all the lockers at Universal are free - only those at rides where you are forced to put your stuff in a locker....

DisneyGigi

One of things I hate most about Dollywood is you have to leave your bags in their bins. Nothing permitted on the rides. I know how to hold onto by bag and I am not keen on leaving it in their bins. We paid for a locker but it was such a pain, not like they have them everywhere. I get the point for people who carry a lot of stuff but not small bags, that is just overkill. Most people have the common sense enough to know how to store their bag/belongings without losing them, at least I would hope. As far as Kali, store your stuff, sit down and buckle up, shouldn't take people that long.

blu3

But you have to put your crap away on The Mummy and there's no way your stuff will hit another guest. I love that Disney has the pouches like on SM and EE and 7DMT. But I'm assuming this has to do with people having a phone, an iPad, a DS, a laptop...
You don't have to put most personal items away on The Mummy. You only have to store larger bags in the locker. Keys/Phones/Wallets you can keep on you.

G00fyDad

This would actually keep me from riding Kali. If I want to take my belongings on a ride where they may get wet then that is my choice. Also, I have never ridden Kali and seen anything fly up and out of the middle area and hit anyone. There is no danger here. Our cell phones go into a quart size Ziploc baggie anyway (1.0567 liter baggie to you metric people.). They'll be fine.

DisneyGigi

Actually, the CMs want you to sit down, buckle up, and then store your stuff.
If people didn't stand there looking stupid for so long it wouldn't matter. Move people move! Everybody in that ride load takes forever, almost like nobody knows what to do.

Tom Morrow

People taking too long too secure their belongings is actually a huge issue at Kali and causes the line to increase constantly. No joke. That would be the reasoning behind this.

G00fyDad

How hard is it to get in, sit down, store your stuff in the middle console, and buckle up? If people cannot handle that then they probably barely survived getting out of bed that morning. Add a puzzle too hard for these people to figure out so it thins out the herd some. Oh, wait. They're already doing that. Its called a key to be turned and a locker door to open. That might be too difficult for some that cannot open a plastic flap on the ride vehicle.

French Quarter

This would actually keep me from riding Kali. If I want to take my belongings on a ride where they may get wet then that is my choice.

Contrary to popular belief, there is no right to risk getting your stuff wet. ;) So, good luck arguing that one with the CM at loading time.

G00fyDad

Contrary to popular belief, there is no right to risk getting your stuff wet. ;) So, good luck arguing that one with the CM at loading time.

And exactly why would I argue with the CM at the gate? Where on earth did you read that I said I would argue with a CM? I stated my own personal preference. I thought that was still allowed here. o_O

French Quarter

And exactly why would I argue with the CM at the gate? Where on earth did you read that I said I would argue with a CM? I stated my own personal preference. I thought that was still allowed here. o_O

It was a bad joke. Sorry. I was picking up on your language, where you said it's your choice whether your stuff gets wet or not. I didn't actually think you would argue with anyone.

Lucky

How hard is it to get in, sit down, store your stuff in the middle console, and buckle up? If people cannot handle that then they probably barely survived getting out of bed that morning. Add a puzzle too hard for these people to figure out so it thins out the herd some. Oh, wait. They're already doing that. Its called a key to be turned and a locker door to open. That might be too difficult for some that cannot open a plastic flap on the ride vehicle.
Could be, but it won't slow operation of the ride if people have difficulty with the locker.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
But you have to put your crap away on The Mummy and there's no way your stuff will hit another guest. I love that Disney has the pouches like on SM and EE and 7DMT. But I'm assuming this has to do with people having a phone, an iPad, a DS, a laptop...

I don't see people carrying around a laptop in the parks anytime soon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom