Disney and Havaianas announce strategic alliance and will open flip-flop stores inside Disney Parks

Next Big Thing

It's becoming a themed mall with a $100/day cover charge
Tbh, I think we're being a tad bit contradictory when it comes to these 3rd party vendors in the parks. I was joking (while being somewhat serious) in my post, but look at Epcot and World Showcase. Almost every country has vendors or Table Service restaurants that are 3rd party. The only difference is it all blends in a tad better there because those are countries mostly foreign to the US visitor.

StageFrenzy

You know they might as well sell crocks with little Mickey holes in the breezeway of Innoventions.
They already did

rob0519

Face it. This is the Disney Marketing Machine Cash Grab. BOG breakfast going up. Room rates going up. That new app where you can buy almost anything in the parks or DTD. As long as we keep giving them our money they will find newer and faster ways to take it. I'm as guiltiy as anyone. I think our bill at The world of Disney was about $400 last week. Shopping for 5 grand nieces and nephews ain't cheap.

Ronald Wallace

the Disney parks continue their trend of turning into glorified malls
8ce4.jpg

Nmoody1

I don't see a major problem. As long as they keep to selling the Disney themed havianas in the parks. From my understanding there isn't going to be actual Havianas stores in the park is there?! Disney already sell disney themed flip flops... at least the havianas ones will be more comfy! :)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Tbh, I think we're being a tad bit contradictory when it comes to these 3rd party vendors in the parks. I was joking (while being somewhat serious) in my post, but look at Epcot and World Showcase. Almost every country has vendors or Table Service restaurants that are 3rd party. The only difference is it all blends in a tad better there because those are countries mostly foreign to the US visitor.

Yes sales of merchandise have always been part of the Disney park experience from day 1 at Disneyland, but the corporate branding of the stores has always been subordinate to the park's theme (the biggest longterm exception of course is Mitsukoshi at Japan but that store is part of Japanese culture).

Now we are seeing 'Branded' stores cropping up in prominent locations where they do not contribute to the theme, Do I mind seeing non-Disney items in the parks of course not. Do I mind seeing Mall Themed stores in the park Yes, Yes I do.

note2001

I honestly don't care if Disney creates dedicated, branded flip flop stores in the parks or not. I too have fallen prey to park blister syndrome and have needed a quick reprieve from ripping more skin off.

What I want to know is which quaint, well themed little stores that exist today are being ripped out and turned into these generic flip flop stores. Shall we start making bets? Closest to the target wins? (5 o'clock charlie style)

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I honestly don't care if Disney creates dedicated, branded flip flop stores in the parks or not. I too have fallen prey to park blister syndrome and have needed a quick reprieve from ripping more skin off.

What I want to know is which quaint, well themed little stores that exist today are being ripped out and turned into these generic flip flop stores. Shall we start making bets? Closest to the target wins? (5 o'clock charlie style)
None. Flip Flops are going to be sold in existing clothing stores in the parks.

So basically, people are mad because they want Disney brand flip flops? Bizarre.

note2001

None. Flip Flops are going to be sold in existing clothing stores in the parks.

So basically, people are mad because they want Disney brand flip flops? Bizarre.

"... this new agreement will see dedicated retail stores open inside Disney's theme parks, including the Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon water parks and Disney California Adventure. In addition, 22 existing stores through the parks will carry the Havaianas flip-flops."

I hope you're right. I understand they'll have walls of flip flops in the existing stores (Don't they already? Maybe I'm just confusing them with the wall of crocs), but how am I mis-reading the part in blue, which to me sounds like the sunglasses hut treatment?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
"... this new agreement will see dedicated retail stores open inside Disney's theme parks, including the Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon water parks and Disney California Adventure. In addition, 22 existing stores through the parks will carry the Havaianas flip-flops."

I hope you're right. I understand they'll have walls of flip flops in the existing stores (Don't they already? Maybe I'm just confusing them with the wall of crocs), but how am I mis-reading the part in blue, which to me sounds like the sunglasses hut treatment?
Keep reading. Blizzard beach and Typhoon Lagoon. And California Adventure. We are talking WDW though, so new store fronts will be limited the two water parks.

Sunglass Hut at MK really ticks me off, switching out Flip Flops made in Taiwan for Flops made in Brazil is irrelevant to me.

Next Big Thing

Yes sales of merchandise have always been part of the Disney park experience from day 1 at Disneyland, but the corporate branding of the stores has always been subordinate to the park's theme (the biggest longterm exception of course is Mitsukoshi at Japan but that store is part of Japanese culture).

Now we are seeing 'Branded' stores cropping up in prominent locations where they do not contribute to the theme, Do I mind seeing non-Disney items in the parks of course not. Do I mind seeing Mall Themed stores in the park Yes, Yes I do.
I'd say flip flops are a pretty good "theme" fit for a water park (as well as sunglasses at Typhoon with the Sunglass hut).

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

I read this as NEW Mall Stores will be opening in the parks along with being sold in existing stores.

When do the Victoria's Secret, Coach, Sephora and Wet Seal stores open on Main St???, Perhaps replace the ice cream shop with a Pinkberry or Coldstone Creamery

Looks like losing 'The Bakery' on Main St was only the first step in making WDW a "Mall with a Cover Charge" when will Main St look like the entrance plaza in "Jurassic World" ?

Disneyhead'71

I read this as NEW Mall Stores will be opening in the parks along with being sold in existing stores.

When do the Victoria's Secret, Coach, Sephora and Wet Seal stores open on Main St???, Perhaps replace the ice cream shop with a Pinkberry or Coldstone Creamery

Looks like losing 'The Bakery' on Main St was only the first step in making WDW a "Mall with a Cover Charge" when will Main St look like the entrance plaza in "Jurassic World" ?

We're getting there!
info-pandora.jpg

ABQ

We're getting there!
info-pandora.jpg
This picture is not from Main Street though, is it? Not with the palm trees and dinosaur bones in the reflection. I'm not saying Pandora is not in Uptown Jewlers, but the implication that this is how Main Street appears today is incorrect. Even the ugly Starbucks sign hanging outside the bakery is more subtle than this Pandora window sticker.

DisneyOutsider

The scope of this announcement's impact at WDW is new flip flop stores in the water parks.. and basically nothing else.. unless it just absolutely irks you that they will continue to sell flip flops in the Orlando parks or you are some sort of flip-flops aficionado who is not a fan of the brand.

The announcement specifically mentions DCA as a future destination, so I imagine that the exclusion of any other WDW parks means that they only be added to the product line within existing stores at the four WDW gates, at least that is the implication by the way they have worded it.

note2001

The scope of this announcement's impact at WDW is new flip flop stores in the water parks.. and basically nothing else.. unless it just absolutely irks you that they will continue to sell flip flops in the Orlando parks or you are some sort of flip-flops aficionado who is not a fan of the brand.

The announcement specifically mentions DCA as a future destination, so I imagine that the exclusion of any other WDW parks means that they only be added to the product line within existing stores at the four WDW gates, at least that is the implication by the way they have worded it.

Note that Disney did not specifically exclude the possibility of developing dedicated stores within the four WDW theme parks either.

Not taking what is announced at face value comes from historical announcements they've made in the past such as the addition of Starbucks brand coffee to the parks (hip hip hooray), but was then followed by Disney ripping apart the much loved Main Street Bakery location and removing other options (such as a relaxing place to enjoy main street in the morning) all for that beverage to be served up.

The blind trust in announcement wording has disappeared for some of us and we question what the outcome may really be. It's not a bad thing to analyze announcements and question what may be written between the lines. However, I can understand how others feel we're spewing negative energy into a simple announcement. Which is not the intent. :)

DisneyOutsider

Note that Disney did not specifically exclude the possibility of developing dedicated stores within the four WDW theme parks either.

Not taking what is announced at face value comes from historical announcements they've made in the past such as the addition of Starbucks brand coffee to the parks (hip hip hooray), but was then followed by Disney ripping apart the much loved Main Street Bakery location and removing other options (such as a relaxing place to enjoy main street in the morning) all for that beverage to be served up.

The blind trust in announcement wording has disappeared for some of us and we question what the outcome may really be. It's not a bad thing to analyze announcements and question what may be written between the lines. However, I can understand how others feel we're spewing negative energy into a simple announcement. Which is not the intent. :)

I understand. You will imagine the worst-case scenario, and possibly even expect that scenario, when it comes to park changes/announcements. Bad things have happened (or rather some things have had a dramatic lack of happening), and your reaction draws off of that.

However, just because I don't think in the same manner doesn't mean I'm doing so blindly.

I don't wish to over-analyze an announcement that is not very detailed, but I don't think you should mourn the demise of Main Street just yet. Though I would also prefer to have the bakery back, at the very least Starbucks, a coffee shop, is a thematic fit for Main Street and (imo) was tastefully done. If they did want to install a stand-alone storefront for these, it will not be on Main Street. Maybe Adventureland, but I don't think that's what they have planned.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom