"it's a small world" Closing for month long refurbishment August-September 2016

admiral-ari-x

Three week refurb might be enough to do some touchup painting and cleaning...but I would not expect much more...not with the glacial pace they move when they are building...lol

I hope they can do a bit more than that, I want them to fix the rotating sun that's been stationary for months.

I wish the outside of our small world was actually outside. And I wish it was colorful.
Honestly, ALL the buildings should get outdoor facades somewhere down the line like Disneyland... the festival tents look like an outdated nightmare :(

MagicHappens1971

Honestly, (this would never happen), but they should completely gut Peter Pans Flight, move it to where Philarmagic is, redo the facade, build a Tangled themed trackless dark ride where Peter Pans Flight was. But other then that, yes all of the facades need redos.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
They could (very unlikely) use LED panels (with frosted cover / chloroplast / plexi whatever... or lighting to illuminate the backdrop and have it change color palettes / simple looks to colorful arrays. Would be awesome touch during seasonal changes as well. July 4th, Halloween, Christmas etc...

Last edited:

Brian Swan

Christmas overlay?

LOL.

Just kidding.

Tokyo got ours. Just like they got our Nightmare Before Christmas overlay for Haunted Mansion. They wouldn't spend the money on it.
I LOVE the DL overlays; I've seen them many times. I've always heard that the reason WDW has never gotten the overlays is because DL deals with a much larger local crowd, and WDW deals more with the out of town crowd. Closing the attractions for a month or so on each side of the overlay works in DL (and keeps the locals coming back), but would be viewed as a negative for those coming for their once every 3 or 4 years (or one time only) vacation. Also, the MK version of iasw is so ugly compared to the DL version, it would be like putting lipstick on a pig.

Brian Swan

These dates come direct from Disney and are subject to change. This is one of many newly published refurbishments and I want to get the information out there for all planning their trips.

"it's a small world" is scheduled for closure August 22, 2016 through September 15th, 2016.

it's a long, long time!
I wonder if they are going to add the "Disney" characters the way the did at DL...

Brian Swan

Now we need a schedule that show the following getting done in the next 12 months:
Space Mountain - New Track
Energy or Imagination - Then the next one right after
Peter Pan - Add the DL features and clean it.

My hope list.
The DL SM track is SO much better than the MK version. But I have NO idea how they could build an entirely new coaster inside of a building that has no room for the cranes needed to to an installation (let alone even get the parts and pieces inside). I'm not a construction guy, but I just don'r see how it could be done without leveling the whole structure and starting from scratch.

gmajew

Premium Member
The DL SM track is SO much better than the MK version. But I have NO idea how they could build an entirely new coaster inside of a building that has no room for the cranes needed to to an installation (let alone even get the parts and pieces inside). I'm not a construction guy, but I just don'r see how it could be done without leveling the whole structure and starting from scratch.
They did it in Disneyland

skimbob

I wish they would get this refurb done before my trip. 9/11-914. DL IASW will be closed for the two week changeover to Christmas on my November trip. I hate to miss one of my favorites.

brb1006

I hope they can do a bit more than that, I want them to fix the rotating sun that's been stationary for months.

Honestly, ALL the buildings should get outdoor facades somewhere down the line like Disneyland... the festival tents look like an outdated nightmare :(
I wish Fantasyland decided to make outdoor facades for the older attractions if that was ever possible at this point in time. It would make a great edition for the 50th Anniversary.

WEDwaydatamover

Yep this sounds about right!

It's no easy task to drain out all the water, vacuum up all those coins, transport them AND then deposit them into all the Coin$tar machines of greater Orlando.

Last edited:

MagicHappens1971

I thought this was the thread but I don't really know. I know when It's a Small World reopened a member noted that these walls were still around parts of the facade, that was a while ago. This picture was taken today, they're still there. The crowds were insane today so it was hard to get a good pic
IMG_0540.JPG

Sped2424

I thought this was the thread but I don't really know. I know when It's a Small World reopened a member noted that these walls were still around parts of the facade, that was a while ago. This picture was taken today, they're still there. The crowds were insane today so it was hard to get a good pic
View attachment 174796
It was open at night and the lines were out the door. Tonights crowds were VERY heavy at the mk.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom