Glidden's Colortopia opening in Epcot's Innoventions later this year

Cmdr_Crimson

alright going to get nerdy here... this is the CONTROL console of a TARDIS... the exterior of a TARDIS is whatever the chameleon circuit deems is non-obtrusive(a roman column, say); Most TARDIS' anyway (of course on the type 40 TARDIS the Doctor travels in is stuck on 40's era police booth, the chameleon circuit is 'damaged')

Uh..Huh...
I_dont_understand1.jpg

Cosmic Commando

I caught this in soft opening today; the CM said that the official opening should be Friday. The Power of Color is a pre show narrated by Ty Burrell. He's sort of the attraction host, because he also appears in the "finale" experience. The Power of Color takes place in a circular room about 12' across (not very good at guessing distances, but it's a small room). The walls are bare white, and the narration accompanies changing lights in the room. Yellows are happy, reds are hot, greens are earthy, etc. The colors are very vivid and enveloping. I liked the script and the performance by Ty Burrell.

The two small experiences I didn't spend a lot of time with, because the exhibit was getting ready to close and I wanted to see the big Color Our World. They seem like fun things, but not a ton of depth. The TARDIS consoles are RGB color mixing games, and the wheels on the wall spin to show how the brain mixes colors together. Worthwhile, but I just don't think you'll spend a lot of time there.

So... Color Our World. It's a really nice idea. The preshow is cool; you're in a room with many different colored spotlights that create triply, multicolored shadows for everyone to play with. Then, you get these "magic" electronic paintbrushes. The bristles are fiber optic, and can light up similarly to the bright colors of the preshow. The meat of the experience is another circular room, but with TV walls this time. The screens have black and white murals on them, and there are "paint buckets" in the middle of the room. Dip your brush in the paint bucket, the brush will light up in that color, and you can paint on the walls in that color. Dip your brush in a different bucket to change colors. Colors will trigger different effects on the mural. It could be animations, or painting something a certain color could change what the item is. There's two big drawbacks that I see, however. First, the colors that showed up on the mural felt pretty drab compared to the paint brushes/buckets and the rest of the exhibit. Second, the painting was more like using the fill tool on Paint than using a paintbrush. For a thing sort of about imagination and all that, I felt pretty constrained in what I could actually do in this area.

Next Big Thing

This is interesting. Thr Orlando area recently opened the Crayola experience in the Florida mall.
And it's not worth the price of admission.

While small, this is a smart move by Glidden to continue to get their name out there while giving guests the same type of experience (obviously a much smaller scale try at it) that Crayola has without paying extra.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.

While small, this is a smart move by Glidden to continue to get their name out there while giving guests the same type of experience (obviously a much smaller scale try at it) that Crayola has without paying extra.

Well.. Technically those 30 valuable minutes of my $100 theme park ticket are wasted in Epcot with this thing when I could be doing..... Uh.... Well......

.....Yea. Smart move, Glidden. o.o

disney4life2008

Though, I am not sure the Crayola Experience is marketed towards tourists. While I am positive its a lure for those with kids especially given that the Florida Mall is a major tourist destination. I think the crayola experience is more locally marketed.

Kevin_W

I didn't know what to expect when this was announced, but it sounds pretty cool to me and in keeping with the Epcot theme. I hope it sticks around long enough for us to see it some day.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Curious which theme that would be?
I think you need to refer to the dedication plaque:

To all who come to this Place of Joy, Hope and Friendship
WELCOME

Epcot is inspired by Walt Disney's creative vision. Here, human achievements are celebrated through imagination, wonders of enterprise and concepts of a future that promises new and exciting new paint colors for all.

May EPCOT Center entertain, inform and inspire and, above all, may it instill a new sense of color and pride in man's ability to paint a world that offers hope to people everywhere.

E. Cardon Walker
Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
Walt Disney Productions
October 24, 1982

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member

WELCOME

Epcot is inspired by Walt Disney's creative vision. Here, human achievements are celebrated through imagination, wonders of enterprise and concepts of a future that promises new and exciting new paint colors for all.

May EPCOT Center entertain, inform and inspire and, above all, may it instill a new sense of color and pride in man's ability to paint a world that offers hope to people everywhere.

E. Cardon Walker
Walt Disney Productions
October 24, 1982
Interesting. I guess my ADHD always kicked in before I got down to that last part because I don't recall that particular phraseology.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

WELCOME

E. Cardon Walker
Walt Disney Productions
October 24, 1982

Well slap me with a silly paint stirrer and color me impressed. Colortopia is just what the doctor ordered!

Last edited:

Mukta

I recently visited this attraction and I really enjoyed it. Is it necessary for a first time visitor? no. For those of us who go frequently and enjoy something new to do, it is a breath of fresh air. Fun, interesting and entertaining.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom