Disney testing allocated seating for Fantasmic! at Disney's Hollywood Studios next week

Jeffxz

Are they going to distribute paper fast passes for this?

If not, they are going to have to scan at least one member of the parties band at every seat/row/section which seems like a nightmare scenario to me.

gwhb75

I'm interested in how this plays out.....
I think the larger issue in play is that if people sit there for 1 1/2-2 hours, thats time theyre not in the park spending money.

that's the exact thing I said to my wife last night. In all honesty I like the idea of reserved seating for popular shows. A lot of movie theatres offer this now (at a premium of course). Yesterday my son and I went and saw Antman, and we did the reserved seat thing, which meant we didn't have to line up way before to get good seats. I guess we'll see how this plays out.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
People get to the show early to reserve the best seats. All the early birds go to the center section and then fan out from there in a circular pattern as space permits. The first time I saw the show I was very tempted to buy the dinner package because I assumed they would get the best seats. However, I discovered that those poor soles ended up being jammed into the far right of the theater (stage left).

Do they still do the comedy preshow at Fantasmic?
The dinner package is now in the center and FP+ is on the sides. Been like that since they started FP+. :)

Yankee Mouse

Good idea. My Mom in her ECV was basically run down from people trying to get in and get a seat! I believe it's a safety issue! We had "special" seating from the Fantasmic Dining Package, but it didn't matter! It was horrible!:(

Except it isn't being done for safety, it is being done for $$$$$$$.
I like the idea, we have avoided fantasmic for years because of the long waits.

Last edited:

Phil12

The dinner package is now in the center and FP+ is on the sides. Been like that since they started FP+. :)
Ok thanks. That makes sense. They used to have a separate backstage entrance for all the dinner package guests and they entered on the right. The far right side of the theater was roped off and the dinner package guests were segregated in that area. I guess they did it that way so it would be easier for CM's to spot rope jumpers but those seats were certainly not the best in the house so I really can't imagine anyone wanting to jump the rope. :)

DABIGCHEEZ

I am curious though as to what would happen if it were all FP+ seating and a show an early show was canceled. Normally guests would just hang around and go to the later shI would hate to be in Customer Service then.

We usually never have a problem with getting seats, but we experienced the canceling of an early show a few years back... the late show was absolute chaos at the gate/queue. It was so many people, even more than usual, and I for one get claustrophobic. I really thought I was going to lose it, with people pushing up on me. Then they were not letting us in as there were still storms in the area and they were not sure if the later show would be canceled. They finally let us in about 15 minutes before the show started.

I for one have no need to go back to DHS until there are new attractions... my wife and kids will go though.

FerretAfros

This surely creates an interesting challenge for no-show guests. There are plenty of reasons that guests might get a FP in the morning, but not actually go to the show in the evening (especially in a half-day park). Under the existing system, it's easy enough to just fill in the back of each section before the show starts with standby guests. But with the proposed system, it's a lot harder to actually fill the space completely, since the empty seats will be scattered all over, and may not be the right size for the guests who show up late. It really takes a lot of flexibility out of the system

When DL switched their Fantasmic! to a FP system late last year, it vastly reduced the viewing capacity of the show because of this. Previously, they crammed as many bodies as possible into each corral. I visited the day after Christmas (peak-of-the-peak crowds) and had enough room around me to swing my arms and not touch another guest. All the while, CMs were diligently kicking rope jumpers out of the sections that they snuck into, lest the show play to a half-full audience on one of the busiest days of the year
I'm interested in how this plays out.....

I think the larger issue in play is that if people sit there for 1 1/2-2 hours, thats time theyre not in the park spending money.
I think the real issue is that the park has so few attractions that large numbers of guests don't mind waiting 90-120 minutes for the show. If there were other worthwhile options, I bet those crowds would start to dissipate pretty quickly around the park. I don't even think the park has enough interesting shopping to occupy the average guest for that length of time.

It's not like this show is brand new, or even considered the best version of the production; there's really no good reason to wait that long for it

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Ok thanks. That makes sense. They used to have a separate backstage entrance for all the dinner package guests and they entered on the right. The far right side of the theater was roped off and the dinner package guests were segregated in that area. I guess they did it that way so it would be easier for CM's to spot rope jumpers but those seats were certainly not the best in the house so I really can't imagine anyone wanting to jump the rope. :)
Yeppers agree! Lol and yeah that's what they used to do before FP+ as to why and other reasons we never did the Fantasmic dining package. We go alt slower times so never had to go way ahead and wait in line etc. Usually we walked in maybe 5 min prior and got a seat and have continued to do
that with now having the FP+. We go Oct-Mid December sometime every trip so no long lines over an hour prior to wait in for us thank goodness! :)

StarWarsGirl

I like the idea. Will be interested to see how this plays out. It would be nice to reduce the stress of having to get into the show. I have a family member on the autism spectrum, so trying to get in and get a seat (he will not stand when he thinks he is supposed to sit; I can tell you that) and getting in on time always worry us because if the show fills up and we can't get in, we'll likely have a meltdown on our hands. Now we can get a FP for Fantasmic and be guaranteed a seat. Now, if we're guaranteed a seat, the only possible cancellation we'd have to worry about is weather, which would reduce everyone's stress level.

As for those who say that there is the possibility of a guest getting in a seat they don't want to be in, seems simple: The guests can pick their seats, and guests who want the back or who don't want the "wet zone" can request it.

My only concern is that if you are hopping from a different park, you won't be able to get at FP+ for Fantasmic ahead of time, even if you have it for other rides at DHS. Seems smart to eventually be able to book it day-of on the smartphone app.

Lakeisha Hutto

I believe it's a safety issue!
7m.jpg

Vegas Disney Fan

When DL switched their Fantasmic! to a FP system late last year, it vastly reduced the viewing capacity of the show because of this. Previously, they crammed as many bodies as possible into each corral. I visited the day after Christmas (peak-of-the-peak crowds) and had enough room around me to swing my arms and not touch another guest. All the while, CMs were diligently kicking rope jumpers out of the sections that they snuck into, lest the show play to a half-full audience on one of the busiest days of the year.
I hated the idea of FP on Fantasmic at DL but it's really helped with crowd control and eliminated the need to go really early to get a good spot. They have also started stand by lines, not only does this fill all the sections but it has also made it possible to see the show if you arrive after the FP are gone for the day, you're not guaranteed a spot but the CMs do their best to fit in as many people as possible in the last 5-10 minutes before show time. I hated the concept but after using it a few times really like how simple it's made the process.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The system should be as it's been created for WoC and used since... the point of the system is to avoid the 'camping wars' -- where people continue to camp out earlier and earlier to get a spot. By forcing the area to be cleared and you are put in areas by batches... you achieve that simple goal. You also have the byproduct that you are able to set sections aside for value-add/u;sell purposes.

What @FerretAfros is valid and should be a concern.. it's a lot easier to tell people to 'take 2 steps foward' when its a corral, and much harder when everyone is on benches.. besides simply 'squeeze to the right.. etc'.

The thing about sections is it takes a lot more staff and space for staging. But I still think the FP by section is still the best hybrid.

Betsyboo

Hopefully I'm not asking a question or making a statement that's already been made, but are the seats numbered as they are now? I don't have any memory of seeing numbers on those bleacher style seats.

jaypking1983

As a dad who's daughter loves the show.....I do not want assigned seats I love picking and choosing our seats..... that being said I dont mind change.... what I would like would be a better exit strategy for leaving the show

ToTBellHop

Hopefully I'm not asking a question or making a statement that's already been made, but are the seats numbered as they are now? I don't have any memory of seeing numbers on those bleacher style seats.
No. This is curious to me, too. I can't see how they can specify anything beyond a row. But, as others are saying, it should just be an assigned section and let people choose from there.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
No. This is curious to me, too. I can't see how they can specify anything beyond a row. But, as others are saying, it should just be an assigned section and let people choose from there.
Yeah they could assign a row and section and then have people sit all the way to the center of their assigned row as it fills in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom