High ranking Imagineers Joe Rohde and Bob Weis expand their roles with Walt Disney Imagineering

BrianLo

Geez, that certainly took no time flat to completely veer off topic.

I haven't followed much about the DCA Marvel stuff... what is the "single ride"? Isn't there going to be a full land developed for Marvel?

It's going to be more of a mini-land with an E-ticket anchor. Think Ratatouille in Paris or Mystic Point/Grizzly Gulch in HK.

I assume the actual guts of the land (M&Gs, retail, ?food) were not the problem, meaning Joe's just there to help with rethinking the anchor attraction.

MarkTwain

From what I understand, the DCA Marvel mini-land/coaster has been completely scrapped, unfortunately.

It's a shame, since DCA really needed something else new with Disneyland now getting Star Wars. Like @PhotoDave219 said about MK, Disneyland really didn't need any more crowds than it's already gotten the last few years, so DCA getting some counterbalance would be nice.

FigmentForver96

From what I understand, the DCA Marvel mini-land/coaster has been completely scrapped, unfortunately.

It's a shame, since DCA really needed something else new with Disneyland now getting Star Wars. Like @PhotoDave219 said about MK, Disneyland really didn't need any more crowds than it's already gotten the last few years, so DCA getting some counterbalance would be nice.
It wasn't scrapped, plans were sent back and had to be approved again. The land is still a go.

*Read this from an insider somewhere in the Disneyland forum, its not my information.*

MarkTwain

It wasn't scrapped, plans were sent back and had to be approved again. The land is still a go.

*Read this from an insider somewhere in the Disneyland forum, its not my information.*

Oh really? Maybe my information is outdated. I've heard projects have been getting scrapped left and right under a WDI downsizing. Fingers crossed though.

Marc Davis Fan

As many others have said here, IJA and/or JTTCOTE would be outstanding additions to MK.

I know that MK doesn't need an attendance boost, but WDW *does* need to remind people to spend their vacation there rather than spending more time off property, and MK is the park that represents WDW to people, and by which people seem to judge the value of spending more time at WDW.

Also, this may be a controversial opinion, but MK doesn't really have a truly top-level-immersiveness attraction at the level of IJA/JTTCOTE/TOT. I don't mean those are necessarily better quality attractions than Splash or HM, but they have an *additional* quality of really dotting their i's and crossing their t's thematically that makes them a special experience. I think having at least one ride of that type at MK would add greatly to the park's overall quality and thus guest experience.

(Plus, adding something in Adventureland would finally help move forward the long-awaited removal of the Aladdin spinner!)

ToTBellHop

I don't disagree with anything here, but your previous post said "the opposite side of the park getting a new headliner" and I was just curious as to what this was in reference to since we have not heard about any "new" headliner coming to MK (and none of what you mention here would be a "new headliner"). The "opposite side of the park from TL" would imply Frontierland or Adventureland to me and any Frontierland work seems to be separate from the allotted $350M so...
Frontierland has a new E ticket in development west of Big Thunder.

DDLand

That's interesting, and it does make sense in this context. I wonder if the Avatar ride system would meet DCA's needs. Seeing as more Pandoras are unlikely, a Marvel attraction built around the same simulator tech could make sense. Joe Rohde would have expertise in working with that ride system and would already know the specific set of challenges associated with it. Of course DCA already has Soarin... Not that the two should really feel the same at all, but it could dissuade porting it over.

It's funny they probably won't be letting Rohde get a crack at designing a themed environment. Even more than attraction design, I think of him first and foremost as an incredible architect. All the same, I'm excited about it!

JohnD

As long as thread is bumped, I wonder if he had anything to do with the Three Calleberos AAs in Mexico?

Last edited:

TP2000

Oh really? Maybe my information is outdated. I've heard projects have been getting scrapped left and right under a WDI downsizing. Fingers crossed though.
That was the word back in August. The Marvel coaster went in for a full rework and the land was put on hold for 90 days. The project is back on track and headed to DCA sooner rather than later.

Last week's Miceage Update has the full scoop.

And since then Rhode has been spotted in DCA and another solid insider here said the DCA project is moving quickly once again.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
That's interesting, and it does make sense in this context. I wonder if the Avatar ride system would meet DCA's needs. Seeing as more Pandoras are unlikely, a Marvel attraction built around the same simulator tech could make sense. Joe Rohde would have expertise in working with that ride system and would already know the specific set of challenges associated with it. Of course DCA already has Soarin... Not that the two should really feel the same at all, but it could dissuade porting it over.

It's funny they probably won't be letting Rohde get a crack at designing a themed environment. Even more than attraction design, I think of him first and foremost as an incredible architect. All the same, I'm excited about it!

What do you call AK - You do know Rohde led the team which designed that park.

DDLand

What do you call AK - You do know Rohde led the team which designed that park.
Indeed, and he's also led the park forward as well. He's also collaborated and developed some pretty amazing projects along his way.

When I say I think of him first and foremost as an architect, I don't mean it as a dig at his attraction design. Quite the opposite. I just think he's probably one of the best Imagineers at creating meaningful spaces that tell stories. DAK is known for not just being a place with awesome attractions, but also for some of the best themed environments ever in a theme park. Even an attraction like Expedition Everest benefits greatly from his innate ability to weave story into his architectural spaces.

What some of the posters here are saying is Rohde will not get a crack at designing the space that will hold the attraction he's creating. It's a drag and drop of one of his ride designs into a preexisting land concept. That to me seems like a waste. After seeing what he can do with immersive spaces, I'd much prefer him taking a for the entire land much like Avatar.
Wow, My thinking is that Joe is our best hope for great themed environments in the future.
He is phenomenal. It's just been said it's unlikely he's taking the lead on the Marvel land that will hold his attraction. Which like I said is strange.

janoimagine

And then there are the new DCL ships.
Curious, and I am not asking you to name your sources, but has that been confirmed? I know several peoples in various roles at DCL and none of them seem to believe they have anything on the radar like that over the next 5 years.

FOH Jim

When I say I think of him first and foremost as an architect, I don't mean it as a dig at his attraction design. Quite the opposite. I just think he's probably one of the best Imagineers at creating meaningful spaces that tell stories. DAK is known for not just being a place with awesome attractions, but also for some of the best themed environments ever in a theme park. Even an attraction like Expedition Everest benefits greatly from his innate ability to weave story into his architectural spaces.

I see what you are saying, Yes in that aspect Joe is certainly more of an architect. I don't know Joe, But having seen his work (AK Aulani etc) I think he has the ability to see the big picture, not miss the details, and work the politics in order to see the project through without losing the artistic integrity. I can only imagine how many meetings there were while AK was being designed and built where the number crunchers said "you can't do that, it'll cost too much" (because that is how every project is everywhere) and somehow things got completed in a way that is, in my opinion (and yours as well?), the most meticulously themed park of them all.

Personally I was hoping that they would put him in charge of the refurb of Epcot, Marvel is Meh to me, so having him in charge of that seems to me to be a waste of his talents. I understand that marvel is a big deal for Disney, 'cause there are a lot of people who think it's great. That is just not me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom