NBA Experience at Disney Springs

DreamfinderGuy

Huh? DisneyQuest was completely demolished.
I'm well aware, I spent quite a bit of time watching them pick away at the site as it was going down. Have you put the floorplans for NBA up against DisneyQuest? NBA Experience was pitched and developed as a retheme of the DQ venue, when the decision was made (very late in the creative process) to remove the original venue the rebuild kept what was built around the existing DisneyQuest structure intact. That's why the lobby of NBA looks like a dethemed Ventureport, that's why City Works is on the same footprint as the DisneyQuest emporium, etc. etc.

The current NBA building is essentially the first two floors of DisneyQuest with a handful of small changes. It's akin to how they ripped out CommuniCore Southwest at EPCOT to put a similar building right back in the same place, except NBA and DisneyQuest are much more similar venues than the old and new CommuniCores are. Hence my joke of "If they tear down the NBA building, they should just put it back but smaller like they did the first time"

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I'm well aware, I spent quite a bit of time watching them pick away at the site as it was going down. Have you put the floorplans for NBA up against DisneyQuest? NBA Experience was pitched and developed as a retheme of the DQ venue, when the decision was made (very late in the creative process) to remove the original venue the rebuild kept what was built around the existing DisneyQuest structure intact. That's why the lobby of NBA looks like a dethemed Ventureport, that's why City Works is on the same footprint as the DisneyQuest emporium, etc. etc.

The current NBA building is essentially the first two floors of DisneyQuest with a handful of small changes. It's akin to how they ripped out CommuniCore Southwest at EPCOT to put a similar building right back in the same place, except NBA and DisneyQuest are much more similar venues than the old and new CommuniCores are. Hence my joke of "If they tear down the NBA building, they should just put it back but smaller like they did the first time"

I think the confusion is that they didn't keep vertical structure of DQ at all, right? just rebuilt what was basically a lot of the same footprint that was there before...for some reason.

If the overall budget did go a lot more into the demolition and rebuilding of the structure, I wonder what they could have done with a larger budget.

Anyway, the idea of forcing everyone in the party to pay for the admission price, even if only one family member was actually interested doomed it from the start. It should have been "pay as you play" like DQ had at one time with everyone free to walk in and look around (IF what they had made was actually worth trying out)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not sure what you mean by 8-10 are losing money. If you mean that those teams are losing money prior to receiving revenue sharing, that might possibly be true. The only team to lose money after revenue sharing is the Nets because of their obligations to the Barclays Center arena. But there are teams which are losing money before any revenue sharing in all major league sports with the possible exception of the NFL. A league which generated $10.5 billion in revenue last year is not in trouble. The current agreement between teams regarding revenue sharing expires after this season I believe. A renegotiation is certainly more than likely. But highly doubtful that any teams will go under.
Not sure what you mean by "the owners will go after the players" though. If you mean that future contracts will be for less money, I guess that is possible. But then again, that would be determined by the contract between the owners and the player's association which requires a certain percentage of league revenue be spent on player contracts.
Full disclosure - I haven't watched or been to an NBA game in probably 30 years - just not my thing. Much prefer college basketball to pro.
The nba cba is the most player friendly one in sports history…I doubt that will hold for much longer

DreamfinderGuy

I think the confusion is that they didn't keep vertical structure of DQ at all, right? just rebuilt what was basically a lot of the same footprint that was there before...for some reason.
Correct. The existing DisneyQuest structure was fully removed. It just so happens that the final NBA building is more or less identical to part of the building they tore down. Even though the old building is long gone, the current one is basically it with a haircut and some bling on the outside.

WDWTank

An authentic Pizza Planet with the robotic guards at the entrance and the rocket would be the ideal replacement. Complete with exclusive games & vending like the claw, whack-an-alien, giant raygun, and slime dispenser. Redemption, retro, and pinball are a must.

Disstevefan1

NBApopeIger.jpg

Cmdr_Crimson

An authentic Pizza Planet with the robotic guards at the entrance and the rocket would be the ideal replacement. Complete with exclusive games & vending like the claw, whack-an-alien, giant raygun, and slime dispenser. Redemption, retro, and pinball are a must.
Well, one out of 15 ideas happened...They had it on the Midway on the moon area.

Last edited:

SoFloMagic

Just turn it in a ESPN sports bar along with the gambling aspect they are involved with at this time
If only they hadn't led the charge on an amendment that made expansions of gambling in Florida virtually impossible.

And against the amendment that would have legalized online sports books in FL

But also, isnt espnbet just a licensing agreement? Not sure they have actual skin in the game on profits

Comped

If only they hadn't led the charge on an amendment that made expansions of gambling in Florida virtually impossible.

And against the amendment that would have legalized online sports books in FL

But also, isnt espnbet just a licensing agreement? Not sure they have actual skin in the game on profits
Disney can own up to I think 15% of Penn, the people they're signing the deal with, and can get a couple of seats on the board.

SoFloMagic

I'm not privy to their contract talks, but I would assume there's some level of revenue sharing involved.
I was curious, so I did a bit of research. Sounds like it's a licensing deal:

"The 10-year, $1.5 billion deal with ESPN gives PENN access to ESPN personalities and channels, which include live sports, studio shows, and written articles."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom