Disney CFO Jay Rasulo to resign end of June 2015

Vegas Disney Fan

The damage of many of Iger's initiatives will take years to surface, and by then he'll be long gone.
And when they do surface Disney will still be seeing massive profits and record visitation numbers from Marvel, Pixar, Star Wars, California Adventure, New Fantasyland, Pandora, Disney Springs, etc, etc... No CEO is perfect and you can't please everyone all the time but he has set up the Disney corporation for decades of growth and success.

imagineer boy

The passion against Rasulo, Iger, Staggs, and execs at large comes from being emotional about the company.

Unfortunately, emotions and capitalism don't mix well (Apple Inc. aside).

Everything changed when it went from Walt Disney Productions, to the Walt Disney Company.

This is now the biggest media company, in the biggest capitalist economy, in the world.

Capitalism is about making profits. Disney makes huge profits.

I'm the first to be nostalgic for everything Walt believed, built, dreamed and created. But this isn't Walt's company anymore. And we aren't going back to Disney 1955.

The sooner one comes to accept the reality the current company operates in, the less painful on the heart it will be to get excited about it's future. I'm excited for the future of the Walt Disney Company, while at the same time knowing it will never be the same as it once was. Because it simply can't be.

Well there is that whole thing about using your profits to benefit your product and build bigger and better things to better society or just put it in your wallet...

PhotoDave219

And when they do surface Disney will still be seeing massive profits and record visitation numbers from Marvel, Pixar, Star Wars, California Adventure, New Fantasyland, Pandora, Disney Springs, etc, etc... No CEO is perfect and you can't please everyone all the time but he has set up the Disney corporation for decades of growth and success.

Why do you assume the company would still be raking in massive profits?

Remember that whole bit from history class, where many leaders mistakenly believed "It will always be this way!" (See also, "British Empire, The")

Disneyhead'71

The passion against Rasulo, Iger, Staggs, and execs at large comes from being emotional about the company.

Everything changed when it went from Walt Disney Productions, to the Walt Disney Company.

This is now the biggest media company, in the biggest capitalist economy, in the world.

Capitalism is about making profits. Disney makes huge profits.

I'm the first to be nostalgic for everything Walt believed, built, dreamed and created. But this isn't Walt's company anymore. And we aren't going back to Disney 1955.

The sooner one comes to accept the reality the current company operates in, the less painful on the heart it will be to get excited about it's future. I'm excited for the future of the Walt Disney Company, while at the same time knowing it will never be the same as it once was. Because it simply can't be.
There are still visionaries in the world. But the Iger's of the world think they are nutters. No one pays attention to them until they quietly change the game. (See: iPod, Amazon, Elon Musk).

spacemt354

Chili's
He could at least try to please the larger fan base by giving them something to continually come back to Disney World for. In his 10 years as CEO there has been 1 E-ticket attraction added, which was already under construction before he took over.. so really that shouldn't count. And in that time he has been CEO, park ticket and hotel prices have increased dramatically, for basically the same Disney World product.

I think the acquisitions of Marvel and Lucasfilm were fantastic, but Mr. Iger has no creative input over either of those. So why should he get all the credit and not someone like Kevin Feige?

It's just a philosophical difference between fans and Iger. He doesn't view the parks as a work of art. He views them as a cash cow, and is simply trying to milk as much profit with little investment into WDW as possible. It may work for the short term, but sooner or later that bubble will burst. He'll probably step down by then and it will be someone else's mess to clean up.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
He could at least try to please the larger fan base by giving them something to continually come back to Disney World for. In his 10 years as CEO there has been 1 E-ticket attraction added, which was already under construction before he took over.. so really that shouldn't count. And in that time he has been CEO, park ticket and hotel prices have increased dramatically, for basically the same Disney World product.

I think the acquisitions of Marvel and Lucasfilm were fantastic, but Mr. Iger has no creative input over either of those. So why should he get all the credit and not someone like Kevin Feige?

It's just a philosophical difference between fans and Iger. He doesn't view the parks as a work of art. He views them as a cash cow, and is simply trying to milk as much profit with little investment into WDW as possible. It may work for the short term, but sooner or later that bubble will burst. He'll probably step down by then and it will be someone else's mess to clean up.
To be fair, though, he did spearhead (or maybe I should say initiated / green-lit?) the improvements at DCA.

His quote:

“Like all of our parks, this one was a work in progress. In this particular case, there was a lot about it that wasn’t working,” Iger said. “We probably underestimated how much people would demand Disney when they come to a park that has the Disney name on it.”

And, the modern DCA is a very impressive park (in line with Islands of Adventure, but that's what it should be).

Add the expansion of DCL as well as a bunch of stuff overseas (some good some bad). So, I'm not sure it's not his general feelings about Parks and Resorts (I loosely lump DCL in with that, as basically it's a floating resort)...it's his specific feelings about how to treat WDW.

I think part of it is exactly what you said, and you are spot on. WDW isn't the "crown jewel" to him that fans would want it to be. It's the mass product cash cow.

You make an interesting point about Kevin Feige as well...hadn't thought about that, but I think you are right. And, Iger is smart to stay out of it, imho. Marvel (as we all know) has been knocking it out of the park.

hopemax

And then we're back to the business analyst who said he downgraded Sears because, in part:

In analyzing their passionate responses, I was left with an impression that Sears personally hurt them, as if the poor physical conditions and buying experiences at the majority of the store base were a kick to the face of the pleasant, simpler times of shopping the brands at their operational peaks as children.

And Disney's business reality is that they also have to operate in a world where their customers have an even stronger emotional attachment than those customers to Sears, and to damage that relationship could result in an even bigger blowback, which would be bad for business. The relationship between Disney and its customers given the ways they describe it is... like a relationship. So far, that's helped Disney rise to the standing that it has. But divorce can get, really, really ugly. Capitalism doesn't mean "business decides, and consumers have to accept" its a push/pull relationship, and consumers have to be free to yank on that rope too, and part of that is getting emotional. The more emotion you see, the louder that roar gets...closer to that proverbial tipping point, and businesses that ignore it, do so at their own peril.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I'm a DL AP holder so my view is probably opposite WDW regulars. Between the DCA revamp, the DL upkeep, and the studio acquisitions Iger has been golden for us.
Yes. Yes he has. I didn't realize how much until I visited and saw it for myself. :bored:

(don't even get me started on how they shoehorned scenes into our already inferior POTC based on scenes that didn't even exist there but did exist in Disneyland...there's a video someone did about that somewhere on youtube, I'll need to dig that up sometime...wish I'd bookmarked it)

Vegas Disney Fan

. WDW may have gotten the short end of the E-ticket stick but they've done tons during those 10 years: the DCA makeover was not only a massive undertaking but is incredible, New Fantasyland was a massive expansion, Pandora is a massive expansion, Disney Springs is a massive project, the hub is a massive project, Disney Shanghai is a massive project and will probably break MKs attendance records in its first year, etc and that was done during and following the worst economy since the great depression. That's not even factoring in all the behind the scenes planning work being done for Epcot and HS. If (and it's a huge if) they do projects on the scale of DCA in Epcot and/or HS over the next decade that were started under Iger I think people's opinions of Iger well trend towards positive.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
. WDW may have gotten the short end of the E-ticket stick but they've done tons during those 10 years: the DCA makeover was not only a massive undertaking but is incredible, New Fantasyland was a massive expansion, Pandora is a massive expansion, Disney Springs is a massive project, the hub is a massive project, Disney Shanghai is a massive project and will probably break MKs attendance records in its first year, etc and that was done during and following the worst economy since the great depression. That's not even factoring in all the behind the scenes planning work being done for Epcot and HS. If (and it's a huge if) they do projects on the scale of DCA in Epcot and/or HS over the next decade that were started under Iger I think people's opinions of Iger well trend towards positive.
To some extent, the same has happened with Eisner. People tend to gloss over the later years (even though they all know about them) and focus on what he did. When Eisner was firing full cylinder (80s through the mid 90s) he was amazing for WDW.

Vegas Disney Fan

To some extent, the same has happened with Eisner. People tend to gloss over the later years (even though they all know about them) and focus on what he did. When Eisner was firing full cylinder (80s through the mid 90s) he was amazing for WDW.

To me the Eisner and Iger eras couldn't be more different but I think they both did what made the most sense for the state of the company (for the most part). Eisner took over a company on the brink of collapse and saved it partially by going on a building spree, unfortunately he took a lot of short cuts while doing it. He gave us 3 parks but I don't think any of them were fully thought out and they were all done on the cheap. The last few years he was just surviving a post 9-11 travel nightmare. Iger on the other hand took over a relatively strong company but with a new set of problems, most noticeably 2 "half day" parks at WDW and 1 "failing miserably" park at DLR. I think he correctly chose to address the failing miserably park first, now it appears he's moved on to the 2 half day parks, personally I think he made a mistake investing so much in New Fantasyland before addressing Epcot and HS but I love the end result. He also got sidetracked with a massive economic recession. The reality is both have spent Billions on the parks, they just did it in completely opposite ways because of the financial climates, Eisner gave us quantity, Iger is giving us a higher quality. As a fan I'd love more at a faster rate but from a business perspective I think they've both been good for Disney.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
To me the Eisner and Iger eras couldn't be more different but I think they both did what made the most sense for the state of the company (for the most part). Eisner took over a company on the brink of collapse and saved it partially by going on a building spree, unfortunately he took a lot of short cuts while doing it. He gave us 3 parks but I don't think any of them were fully thought out and they were all done on the cheap. The last few years he was just surviving a post 9-11 travel nightmare. Iger on the other hand took over a relatively strong company but with a new set of problems, most noticeably 2 "half day" parks at WDW and 1 "failing miserably" park at DLR. I think he correctly chose to address the failing miserably park first, now it appears he's moved on to the 2 half day parks, personally I think he made a mistake investing so much in New Fantasyland before addressing Epcot and HS but I love the end result. He also got sidetracked with a massive economic recession. The reality is both have spent Billions on the parks, they just did it in completely opposite ways because of the financial climates, Eisner gave us quantity, Iger is giving us a higher quality. As a fan I'd love more at a faster rate but from a business perspective I think they've both been good for Disney.
A lot of what Eisner pushed out in WDW wasn't "on the cheap"...it was later when that happened. I think some of that was the loss of Katzenberg over in the Studios dept, and the debacle that happened after the death of Wells, where Eisner brought in Ovitz, who turned out to be a terrible choice, and cost Eisner a lot of his "Golden Touch" status with the board and shareholders.

Frankly, and this is just my opinion, but I think after the Ovitz situation, that's when Eisner just, for lack of a better term...gave up.

I'd be curious to see where the company would be had Wells not passed away...as I think he was the Yin to Eisner's Yang, just like Roy was to Walt.

Again, just my opinion...

spacemt354

Chili's
I've been to DCA twice since the expansion in 2012, and Cars Land is incredible. Nothing bad I have to say about that. It's pretty awesome. But it wasn't all Iger's decision. Disney was forced into doing it because it wasn't good for the Disney "brand" and Anaheim had a lot of influence over the investment getting done. That being said, my gripe is with the seemingly lack of enthusiasm and drive to offer more than just MagicBands, merchandise, and increased prices to WDW guests. But then again, WDW makes money and draws crowds, unlike DCA did, so in Mr. Iger's mind, why add anything substantial?

I wouldn't call NFL a massive expansion. In fact, it's not really an expansion at all. Just reusing space that was once taken up by 20K Leagues Under the Sea. The only part that wasn't used before out of the property was the Beast's Castle Area. Everything else was just re-purposed, and also took too long to build compared to the Orlando competition that puts out new E-tickets consistently and efficiently.

Pandora was announced in 2011 and is opening in 2017. While I hope it's incredible, again, when your competition is putting out new attraction after new attraction and you're just coasting along, it's going to catch up to you eventually.

Disney Springs, while a massive project, is not something that I would personally travel to Florida to see. In fact there's an outlet mall on I4 called Orlando Premium Outlets. If we ever wanted to go shopping, we just go there for cheaper prices.

Epcot and HS is very much blue sky at this point, and circling back, that's why I think a lot of Disney fans are upset with leadership. There are rumors and hearsay but nothing to show for it. Epcot is getting Frozen and a 3rd Soarin' building - not really too glamorous, imo. For DHS, changes are coming, just when and what is the question.

I don't hate Mr. Iger as much as some people do around here, but I don't like how the WDW parks have been treated under his leadership. Then again it's also not about one person. It's a chain of command.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Iger was pressured to do something with DCA by the city of Anaheim. Who knows what the park would be like had the city not intervened.
Funny, I wonder what Anaheim would be like if Disney hadn't intervened in the 50's. Can you possibly explain what pressure Anaheim was able to apply and why?

Vegas Disney Fan

DCA was done on a tight deadline after Westcot fell through. IIRC Westcot was going to be a nearly $10 Billion project but was dependant on the government for not only hundreds of millions for road improvements and parking garages but also assistance with eminent domain to acquire needed property. The feds offered something like $40 million and Anaheim simply didn't have the kind of money needed to make up the difference, there was also massive blowback from residents and businesses in the area. DCA was done quickly so they could still receive the funds that were allocated for the garage and roads but at 1/10th the cost of the original plan. I've never heard of Anaheim putting pressure on DCA improvements, I just heard it wasn't even pulling 50% of estimates and the only solution was to fix it or close it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom