Disney CFO Jay Rasulo to resign end of June 2015

asianway

Wait a minute...we are classifying Iger as cancerous now? Once again a perfect example of people thinking WDW is a reflection of the company as a whole. While I do not agree with every decision the guy has made, he certainly knows how to run a BUSINESS.
He's taken one of the most creative companies out there and turned it into a real estate and brand holding company. I guess...

GiveMeTheMusic

Wait a minute...we are classifying Iger as cancerous now? Once again a perfect example of people thinking WDW is a reflection of the company as a whole. While I do not agree with every decision the guy has made, he certainly knows how to run a BUSINESS.

He certainly does! He knows very well how to run a business in the short-term. He's made many wonderful decisions in some areas, but he's not done well in choosing his subordinates. As a result, there are lots of problems swept under the rug that great short term numbers mask.

The damage of many of Iger's initiatives will take years to surface, and by then he'll be long gone. But he'll have made a poop ton of money and retired and that's all that matters.

As a result, I would classify him as long-term cancerous. He's lucked out in many ways, but short term number padding via stock buybacks, underinvesting in infrastructure and numerous "brand withdrawals" masquerading as "repositioning" make him a loser in my book.

JordanNite

Rasulo didn't even have a pony in that horse race.

jayrasulo__121205201412.jpg

Oh wait, you probably meant that as some sort of metaphor. My bad.

A man in a suit - and he was supposed to be one of the creative geniuses at the parks?

JordanNite

He certainly does! He knows very well how to run a business in the short-term. He's made many wonderful decisions in some areas, but he's not done well in choosing his subordinates. As a result, there are lots of problems swept under the rug that great short term numbers mask.

The damage of many of Iger's initiatives will take years to surface, and by then he'll be long gone. But he'll have made a poop ton of money and retired and that's all that matters.

Fantastic post. Totally agree.

PhotoDave219

You mean a business with a lack of ethics and lack of morality. One that puts profits, short-term profits evening, before everything else.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
What good is a Captain that neglects ship? Iger knows how to run a business, not a theme park. He cat even surround himself with people that know how to run a theme park.

Mouse Trap

You mean a business with a lack of ethics and lack of morality. One that puts profits, short-term profits evening, before everything else.

I totally get its not the popular opinion to praise Iger here. But for how long do we need to hear "eventually we'll see the damage Iger has done" (beside the poor condition of WDW) Iger has been at the helm for 10 years now, how long am I supposed to wait before seeing the company tank? I'm not saying anyone is wrong in their predictions here, but the Disney doomsday predictions here are beginning to sound like sheep following sheep. That being said I'll be the first one on here apologizing if Disney goes bankrupt and they start auctioning off the likes of Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars to Netflix.

And let's not even get into the "lacking ethics and morality" joke. Anyone with a single lick of business experience knows the term "business ethics" is the biggest oxymoron in the book no matter what company we are looking at. Can't single out Disney for that one.

Last edited:

Marriedatdisney

I think the sentiment is that these guys might run a business that Wall Street likes but they're not mission oriented like Walt was. This isn't about building a place for families and kids to enjoy. It's about turning a buck. That's the point.

Long time lurker.....like years. And as my handle implies, love Disney.....at least the idea of it anyway.

What's disappointing is that you never feel like these execs 'love' what they're doing. Pull them out and plop them into any Fortune 100 company and they're interchangeable. Which if you're McDonalds or Macy's or anyone else that's ok I guess. But to contrast with Apple, the new CEO is no Jobs, but he sure seems to love Apple for Apple. I don't think he'd hop over and run Samsung if given the chance.

PhotoDave219

I totally get its not the popular opinion to praise Iger here. But for how long do we need to hear "eventually we'll see the damage Iger has done" (beside the poor condition of WDW) Iger has been at the helm for 10 years now, how long am I supposed to wait before seeing the company tank? I'm not saying anyone is wrong in their predictions here, but the Disney doomsday predictions here are beginning to sound like sheep following sheep. That being said I'll be the first one on here apologizing if Disney goes bankrupt and they start auctioning off the likes of Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars to Netflix.

And let's not even get into the "lacking ethics and morality" joke. Anyone with a single lick of business experience knows the term "business ethics" is the biggest oxymoron in the book no matter what company we are looking at. Can't single out Disney for that one.

Just because everyone doesn't have any ethics is business doesn't mean Disney has to be that way.

You can still do things ethically and do the right thing and still run a business.

Simply saying "everyone else does it" doesn't excuse their behavior.

Mouse Trap

Just because everyone doesn't have any ethics is business doesn't mean Disney has to be that way.

You can still do things ethically and do the right thing and still run a business.

Right. And by no means did I say Disney should do it, or it is justified in any means because of how rampant such practice are. My point was just to clear up the fact that we can't make it seem like Iger is pulling a big no-no unheard of in the world of business. Power and cash corrupts anyone in time. More than half of corporate CEO's would be in prison if there was something truly done about "business ethics".

Then again, what is ethically correct in the world of business is another argument for another time and place.

DGracey

The passion against Rasulo, Iger, Staggs, and execs at large comes from being emotional about the company.

Unfortunately, emotions and capitalism don't mix well (Apple Inc. aside).

Everything changed when it went from Walt Disney Productions, to the Walt Disney Company.

This is now the biggest media company, in the biggest capitalist economy, in the world.

Capitalism is about making profits. Disney makes huge profits.

I'm the first to be nostalgic for everything Walt believed, built, dreamed and created. But this isn't Walt's company anymore. And we aren't going back to Disney 1955.

The sooner one comes to accept the reality the current company operates in, the less painful on the heart it will be to get excited about it's future. I'm excited for the future of the Walt Disney Company, while at the same time knowing it will never be the same as it once was. Because it simply can't be.

matt9112

To add to Dave's point remember at some point in your life when you paid for goods or services and they went above and beyond...you could have had something just as well down the road but this paticular vendor made it great....a relationship was born. (It's the feeling I get walking into ANY chicfila)

I'm so tired of the well its JUST a business as if people have never gotten rich and built empires while at the same time having a little morality and care.

matt9112

The passion against Rasulo, Iger, Staggs, and execs at large comes from being emotional about the company.

Unfortunately, emotions and capitalism don't mix well (Apple Inc. aside).

Everything changed when it went from Walt Disney Productions, to the Walt Disney Company.

This is now the biggest media company, in the biggest capitalist economy, in the world.

Capitalism is about making profits. Disney makes huge profits.

I'm the first to be nostalgic for everything Walt believed, built, dreamed and created. But this isn't Walt's company anymore. And we aren't going back to Disney 1955.

The sooner one comes to accept the reality the current company operates in, the less painful on the heart it will be to get excited about it's future. I'm excited for the future of the Walt Disney Company, while at the same time knowing it will never be the same as it once was. Because it simply can't be.

By your logic the American republic is long dead (aftermath of civil war) and well its not 1776 so oh well mind as well let the world burn....I mean that is the next logical step... (collapse into rebirth)

So back on topic if you believe what you just said than you believe what I just said. That it's inevitable and no single person can change otherwise....you sir have no faith in humanity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom