9/11

vonpluto

Around noon on 9/14/01, WDW had a Resort wide moment of silence. Guests and Cast Members were asked to take a moment to remember the victims of the attacks. IIRC, God Bless America was then played over the resort sound systems.

We were on the path between the train station and Rafiki’s Planet Watch,
standing with a few Cast Members in the rain observing the moment.
TS Gabrielle was passing and the rain seemed somehow appropriate.

We were at the Studios on 9/11, when the World shut down.

Polydweller

I don't think the original post meant anything by a celebration. I think they were talking about a remembrance of some sort.
It would be nice of them to do something however small, If I'm not mistaken wasn't Sept 11 the last day Disney theme parks closed?

I'm sure there will be something given its the tenth anniversary but would be surprised if it's park wide. The Flag retreat would be a good time.

It wasn't the last day the parks closed. They were closed for Hurricane Charley in 2004.

TP2000

Please...they didn't do anything to acknowledge 9/11 when it happened. It doesn't go with the "most magical place" theme they got goin' on... :p

Perhaps you've forgotten, but both WDW and Disneyland solemnly observed the national moment of silence on 9/14/01 as decreed by the President, in addition to closing all five American theme parks for the day on 9/11/01.

Other than that, and since I don't believe the President has decreed a national moment of silence on 9/11/11, I would think it to be in rather bad taste for Disney to do something out of the ordinary to observe 9/11, other than perhaps an appropriate mention at the Flag Retreat ceremony that afternoon.

I'm actually quite surprised (although I shouldn't be) that someone would think Disney World or Disneyland would be doing something special in the parks on 9/11. It's tacky to think of that, honestly.

DisneyDebNJ

I can't imagine Disney doing anything to commemorate 9/11 for a number of reasons. It was a dark day in our nation's history. Any commemoration would probably require a solemn tone, which is opposite of what most go to Disney for. Other possible reasons I would prefer not to go into. I just don't imagine there would be any commemoration of the event.

I completely agree, however, all park goers can always bow their heads and observe a moment of silence on their own. I don't think such a dark hour in our nation's history, would be reminded in Disney. Again, all park goers can show their respect in so many ways, and give thanks for our military

wedenterprises

I was in Epcot that day, riding spaceship earth actually. We came out and hordes of people were leaving the park and the wait time board said everything was closed.

A cast member said there had been a national emergency in new york but didn't elaborate, we overheard one guy say that the pentagon had been attacked. we were like well which one is it? little did we know.

It was very confusing and weird. The poly bar and restaurants were packed when we got back to the hotel and the pools were closed IIRC because of a lightning storm...

very surreal day but I do remember the cast members being super awesome and they brought mickey and the gang to the hotel for the kids. I vividly remember everyone being really nice to each other that day though lol.

jlevis

We will be in EPCOT on Sunday. We will observe our own moment of silence at 8:46AM to remember those lost that day and since. Then we will go about living as free Americans and to spit in the face of those who want to destroy our way of life.

menamechris

Perhaps you've forgotten, but both WDW and Disneyland solemnly observed the national moment of silence on 9/14/01 as decreed by the President, in addition to closing all five American theme parks for the day on 9/11/01.

Regardless of that - they didn't do anything special or acknowledge it in any way other than what the rest of the country was doing. In fact it would have been in bad taste for Disney to NOT do that... As far as closing the parks - yes, they did - because here in Orlando, the rumors were running wild that an attack would happen here, because of the parks - that an attack could happen at one of the parks. All of the downtown Orlando buildings were evacuated as well.

jlevis

I'm not sure what Disney can do beyond something at flag retreat. Have you ever taken a look at the crowd at a sporting event during the national anthem? Morph that to the crowd at Disney after an announcement over the load speakers. If Disney did announce a special ceremony at flag retreat how many people would head over to participate?

ddrongowski

Not sure if this needs to go in another thread, but I would really like to hear stories from people that were in the parks 9-11-01.

I was in Animal Kingdom with my wife and son. They had gone to the restroom and I was standing at the t-rex bones outside of the dinosaur ride. A cast member came up to me and told me that there had been an incident, and that they are asking all the guests to head to the front of the park. While walking out, I overheard someone saying that a militia group had blown up a building in New York, and that is why we had to leave the park. Once we got to our rental car and turned on the radio, we heard what was happening. This occurred around noon time. When we pulled up to our resort, we could no longer use our key to the world, to open the gate and had to show a drivers license to get in.
I found this interesting because they did not compare my id to anything, they just looked at it, looked at me, and opened the gate. So I called the front desk and asked why the check was being done. They said well there was an attack and they needed to check id's. I said that was fine, but explained that looking at my drivers license, and comparing it to nothing, and then opening the gate, was false security. After all the terrorists had to have shown id to get on the planes that day. The cast member said oh that makes sense, please hold on and I will get the manager. I spoke with the manager for a little while and she admitted to me that they were not sure what to do. I guess if you "make someone feel safe" it is as good as real safety.:lookaroun

The pool at the resort was packed that day, and the clorine level was high enough that your eyes would burn when you got ~10 feet near it.

The next day they had temporary security checks at the gates of all othe parks to look into bags, etc... Security at Disney is still a joke to this day, but whatever. As long as people "feel" safe, that's what matters.

mpaul32001

There will be a special Patriot Day Flag Retreat Ceremony featuring the Voices of Liberty, Main Street Philharmonic, and a special Color Guard made up of Walt Disney World Cast Members currently on active duty with the Armed Forces and Reserves.

majorrfb

This is most appropriate!

There will be a special Patriot Day Flag Retreat Ceremony featuring the Voices of Liberty, Main Street Philharmonic, and a special Color Guard made up of Walt Disney World Cast Members currently on active duty with the Armed Forces and Reserves.

A time to reflect, if even for only a moment. Thank the thousands of Americans and their families who serve(d) to protect us. Especially remember those who lost their lives and/or wounded protecting our freedom!

Rob562

The Voices of Liberty also tend to make a mention of "Patriot Day" during their performances at American Adventure that day.

-Rob

Polydweller

Just to add a note of broader perspective, the 2606 victims in the towers included citizens from 90 different countries. A local paper here has been profiling the 24 Canadians for the 24 days leading up. It would be appropriate for all in Disney this Sunday, regardless of where they are from, to take a moment to remember. We will here.

erasure fan1

Not sure if this needs to go in another thread, but I would really like to hear stories from people that were in the parks 9-11-01.

My sister and her family were at the animal kingdom that day. She said that they didnt really say too much, just a vague statement and said for the safety of the guests they are evacuating the parks. They spent the rest of the day visiting some of the different resorts.

I dont have a problem with a short moment of silence right before the park opens.

828tnt

A time to reflect, if even for only a moment. Thank the thousands of Americans and their families who serve(d) to protect us. Especially remember those who lost their lives and/or wounded protecting our freedom!

here, here!

Xethos

I dont mean to sound inconsiderate in any way at all but if I was at the parks I would not want to be reminded in any way of what happened that day. I personally had a front row seat that morning in Manhattan and would very much not want to be reminded of it at all while on vacation, at the very least not in the parks.

If the local fire department would like to set up the hook and ladders in the traditional fashion with the flags between them somewhere in the transportation area, or maybe along the parkway leading into the disney area so that the busses and cars passed under them, that would be respectful and non intrusive into peoples vacations. But within the parks... i dunno, maybe a parade for the firefighters without too many visual cues that would stir up questions or memories.

Many of us need to remember that a lot of children either do not remember or fully understand what happened that day. I dont have kids personally but if I was taking my neice to the magic kingdom for the first time and I had to explain to her that this day 10 years ago thousands of people died, and hundreds of fire fighters sacraficed themselves trying to save them while at the same tme shes supposed to be experiencing one of the greatest moments in her life ( as a child at least) it would just create too many mixed feelings.

Im not saying that children shouldnt be made aware, just that they dont need to be reminded about it nor do I, while in Disney World. I always thought that that was the idea of having that long road leading up to the area... Its supposed to be the transition between "the real world" to "Disney World", leaving all you troubles behind or something to that affect Walt said...

jlevis

Xethos, you needn't worry. In ten more years 9/11 will just be another date much as 12/7 is today or Memorial Day is just a day for a picnic. We, as a nation have short memories.

ddrongowski

Xethos, you needn't worry. In ten more years 9/11 will just be another date much as 12/7 is today or Memorial Day is just a day for a picnic. We, as a nation have short memories.

You my friend speak the truth. It sickens me how short the U.S. citizens' memory is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom