Lower Resort Mug Price

Do these changes make you want to buy a mug more or less?

• Total voters

Monorail_Red_77

and by making it one price the only thing the RFID RapidFill now does is stop you using a mug from a previous trip.

They should have still offered two prices, maybe $11.49 for up to five days then $16.49 for length of stay, that way its better value than the pointless one day option and short stays save $5.

But I do agree that the one day mug is pointless as you get three refills in an hour or two on a paper cup.

One time I got 4 refills on a paper cup. Typically we get about 3. I only use the paper cups when we stay on-site. We typically stay on-site at least 3 or 4 times a year as we only live about 1.5 hours away anyway.

allgiggles

You joke but years ago back in the day of the big mugs we use to do something similar staying at Dixie Landings a couple weeks a year. We'd have breakfast rinse the mugs and shove the 4 of them in the lockers by the main pool and hop on a bus to the parks. Upon returning we'd grab the mugs, fill them heading back to the mansions that were not exactly close to the food court.

Those pool lockers back then were only a couple quarters to rent. Gone after 9/11. :(

I don't think they're gone everywhere (or maybe they are by now) because I've done that same thing but at Pop Century and that resort didn't even open until 2003. I know I used those lockers in 2009 because that was when our room was really far away from the main building *and* it rained all week and we tried to minimize our time outside once we got back from the parks.

sheriffwoody

We had them with the dining plan on our first trip and used them a lot because we were RIGHT by the food court at POFQ. The next time we bought mugs, but we were a good 5 minute walk from the food court at POR, so we didn't really get our money's worth. So the last trip we just bought some sodas and kept them in the room fridge. That's the way to go for us! If we get a room super close to a food court again, I might buy a mug, but otherwise, nah...

MrPromey

Well, sort of. The lowered it for the top side of the price point but the eliminated the 1, 2, and 3 day options which were lower prices. So, they actually raised prices while sorta lowering it too.
So If I were staying for 1 day. Instead of me paying $8.99 I now have to pay 16.49 That is almost double the price it used to be, and then it goes down from there. The only savings is at the top end.

That's what Disney wants you to think. "Hey we are lowering our prices" ;) :cautious:
This is key and it's the same crap they are looking into pulling on people with the ticket pricing survey. Ignore the incredible price hike that will affect a lot of people and instead, focus attention on the price reduction (or in the case of the tickets, price hike that isn't happening or is smaller) instead, even though many people will pay a lot more, relative to the original price.

The thing is that for those people only staying for a few nights, an extra $3-$8 per person isn't going to seem like that much extra money compared to how much people are already blowing on ticket prices and room rates. That's how Disney wants* you to see it because over millions of customers, that extra $3-$8 adds up quickly without them having to do a single thing extra.

*It's a form of price anchoring which is a whole field of marketing. When people learn about this they think "I'm to smart to fall for that" but research shows that pretty much everyone is susceptible to at least some degree - even those who are aware the practice is being employed on them.

Last edited:

Cmdr_Crimson

I hope they will bring it back down to the $13.99 price which makes sense..It was pointless to do the tiers when all we are paying for is an extra bit of cash for a little chip-in-a-cup.

Doug Means

boy i'm really confused...i never stayed in a resort where the refillable mug was not included in the stay, and i've never stayed during free dining. so, there r times of the year where people that stay in a WDW resort have to pay for a refillable mug?

dreamfinder

boy i'm really confused...i never stayed in a resort where the refillable mug was not included in the stay, and i've never stayed during free dining. so, there r times of the year where people that stay in a WDW resort have to pay for a refillable mug?

Refillable mug has never been (as far as I am aware) included in your room cost. It is however included in pretty much every dining plan. So if you had any dining plan attached to your reservation, then you would get the length of stay mug for free. But everyone else (except for the the inevitable guest I always see just grabbing one off the display and trying to use it) has to pay for it.

GrumpyFan

Lowering the price seems like a good move, not sure about the elimination of 1, 2, 3 day options though.

I always found the $17.99 price to be too high, and I couldn't justify it. On a 5 day trip we took last year, we waited until we only had 3 days remaining and then bought our mugs. Kind of silly, I know, but I just couldn't stomach the cost of the 4+day.

Seanual757

Disney should offer a $9.99 plan if you bring your mug back to re-uses on other visits. No send in me bring it back if it's the same price we might as well get new cups.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
We are about to do a split stay next week (a first for us): three days at POP and remainder at SSR on points. so I can get length of stay at Pop using TIW discount and the mugs will still work at SSR?
Yes they will work. "Length of stay" gives you two weeks of mug usage. We bought our mugs at POFQ using TIW and used them for our split stay at GF.

Dwarful

Once they went to the tiered pricing we've never bought the mugs. There is no value for us. Usually we drive so we already have bottled water and soda in the fridge. For quick meals at the resort we opt for water or buy individual cup of soda.

Squigglove

Does anyone have a picture of said "mug?"
We are all huge ice water drinkers when it's hot and we plan to carry these mugs around for our entire trip (we're getting them with the DDP). But people are saying they're small.

Pluto15

Our trip is 15 nights so works out about a dollar a day. Given then can be used at any resort a dollar a day is stunning value. That includes the tea coffee powerade options and iced tea. Even staying for a few days it's great value of you think a single drink is $3

dreamfinder

Does anyone have a picture of said "mug?"
We are all huge ice water drinkers when it's hot and we plan to carry these mugs around for our entire trip (we're getting them with the DDP). But people are saying they're small.

They are small only if you fill them full of ice, or are used to drinking from a big gulp. A 16oz mug is a fairly normal size for a beverage container.

Dwarful

I am an admitted iceaholic. I like my drinks super cold, tend to drink iced tea, so it melts the ice. I'd say I get about 8 - 10 oz. if I am lucky. But the plus side is so far the iced tea isn't timed. I do add ice every time I add tea though....instead of asking for free ice water I usually ask for a cup or two of ice. I do prefer the cups from Silver Dollar City or Dollywood because for home / travel purposes it holds a full serving for me. which is about 12 - 16 oz. with all of my ice. lol

Although they are just right for coffee or hot tea. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom