Disney's Hollywood Studios Name Change

MickeyMouse10

Well the park has already changed names more times than any other Disney park correct? It’s a major cost to rebrand something, and it causes confusion to guests. (People still are confused about Disney springs).

But I agree.... the name doesn’t really fit the park at all. Which again I think is kinda sad.... I miss what it once was, even though I still enjoy visiting it.

Yep, it's too bad they didn't stick with the original plans for the Muppets and Roger Rabbits sections. It would have made it so different then any of the other parks.

I'm glad they didn't go with the D*ck Tracy (Buzz Lightyear) ride though. Although the Chicago setting would have looked cool, giving kids tommy guns probably isn't. It was either that or the Indiana Jones Adventure like ride version. But D*ck Tracy's relevance like most live actions quickly faded from memory like Madonna's acting career.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

The more I think about it the more I question how different the millennium falcon attraction will be compared to star tours. Seems a full budget plus of star tours and 1 additional ride with some build out of shops / restaurants would have gotten Disney pretty much the same thing without losing so much property and existing attractions.

MickeyMouse10

The more I think about it the more I question how different the millennium falcon attraction will be compared to star tours. Seems a full budget plus of star tours and 1 additional ride with some build out of shops / restaurants would have gotten Disney pretty much the same thing without losing so much property and existing attractions.

Yeah, I know. It just seems like it's the baby of Star Tours and Mission Space. I was hoping for something different. ….But oh well, at least the 2nd ride in GE sounds unbelievably amazing.

gorillaball

Yeah, I know. It just seems like it's the baby of Star Tours and Mission Space. I was hoping for something different. ….But oh well, at least the 2nd ride in GE sounds unbelievably amazing.

So you guys must have gotten a special advanced preview ride to be able to tell us what caliber of ride it is. Can you tell us how we can get on it early too?

TrainsOfDisney

Of course not, it just seems comparable to Star Tours. I’m sure it will be a great attraction, and I’m sure it’s going to wow me. (It better for that price tag!).

Bleed0range

Perhaps "Disney's Hollywood" Studios would be apt. It's a reflection of the part of Hollywood that is exclusively Disney's, i.e. the IP.

They should called it Disney’s Hollywoodland because the original Hollywood sign read as Hollywoodland when it was first built. It also sounds like the name of a park “I.e. Disneyland,” fits better than the studios moniker, is a throwback to old time Hollywood and in a way represents a Hollywood that never was since they dropped the land portion eventually.

lazyboy97o

They should called it Disney’s Hollywoodland because the original Hollywood sign read as Hollywoodland when it was first built. It also sounds like the name of a park “I.e. Disneyland,” fits better than the studios moniker, is a throwback to old time Hollywood and in a way represents a Hollywood that never was since they dropped the land portion eventually.
The Hollywoodland sign was built to advertise a housing development in Hollywood, a neighborhood of Los Angeles, located in the Hollywood Hills, that had briefly been its own city. Hollywood is not named after Hollywoodland.

thequeuelinelectures

I always thought the super old rumor of “Disney’s Hollywood Heroes” was pretty good. It at least sells the IP angle in a palatable way, but maybe it doesn’t conjure up enough imagery of this being a tangible space vs a concept

DisneyfanMA

It’s a major cost to rebrand something, and it causes confusion to guests. (People still are confused about Disney springs).

Whats the story there anyway? I’m confused....the Disney Springs name isn’t intuitive at all. I had to search a few times to understand what the heck it was...and what was wrong with Disney village or Downtown Disney which both at least made some sense to me?

Bleed0range

The Hollywoodland sign was built to advertise a housing development in Hollywood, a neighborhood of Los Angeles, located in the Hollywood Hills, that had briefly been its own city. Hollywood is not named after Hollywoodland.

I’m aware of that - but it would be Hollywood Land not Hollywoodland. You see?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Whats the story there anyway? I’m confused....the Disney Springs name isn’t intuitive at all. I had to search a few times to understand what the heck it was...and what was wrong with Disney village or Downtown Disney which both at least made some sense to me?

"Springs" sounds more resort-y and less mall-y.

Tom Morrow

It's named after the "Springs" in question, which is found in Town Center. Disney Springs has a semi-vague overarching theme of an industrial/waterfront town which has been gentrified, with many of the former industrial buildings being re-purposed as shopping, dining, and entertainment offerings.

World_Showcase_Lover007

The name is fine...it celebrates the productions of a major Hollywood studio and the environment that such productions come from. It honors the idea and concept of a studio...it doesn’t have to BE a studio.

It’s no longer a working studio bc moving production to Orlando was a mistake to begin with. Nearly everything and everyone (i.e. every producer, animator, director, etc.) is based on the west coast. That’s just reality. To try to set up something in Florida that isn’t for local news just doesn’t work for the long term.

Also having a live studio for theme park guests didn’t make sense bc making movies and television is boring when watching in real time. Retakes, repositioning for lighting, breakers and tons of other things make for a lackluster experience.

lazyboy97o

It’s no longer a working studio bc moving production to Orlando was a mistake to begin with. Nearly everything and everyone (i.e. every producer, animator, director, etc.) is based on the west coast. That’s just reality. To try to set up something in Florida that isn’t for local news just doesn’t work for the long term.
Atlanta is on the west coast?

World_Showcase_Lover007

Hollywood South such as Atlanta and New Orleans are temporary tax havens for film production. They are considered “on-location” as 95% of the cast and crew live else where, primarily the west coast. As soon as it is no longer cost effective to produce there, the will all go back home to Los Angeles. It’s simply how the industry is set-up and established.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom