Castle Ramp Smoking Section Eliminated

Status
Not open for further replies.

googilycub

So @StarWarsGirl95, tell me how many people have died from exposure to a whiff of too much perfume or how many diseases can be attributed to a whiff of too much perfume? I'll guess it's zero. Exposure to second hand smoke is not the same as perfume and you are doing a disservice to the conversation by continuing to make the comparison.
Umm...

http://www.rodalenews.com/perfume-ingredients

"Perfume ingredients may smell good to some people (while giving headaches to anyone sensitive to the fumes), but a 2010 study suggests popular brands reek of long-term health problems for all of us."
"And, as with smoking, it's not just the person using the product that's affected. "Secondhand scents are also a big concern. One person using a fragranced product can cause health problems for many others,"

You better start cyber bulling, oops I mean shaming, those that wear perfume.

BTW, a "whiff or two of perfume" CAN kill those with those with that asthma trigger. For you to dismiss that fact is just as ignorant as the pro smokers that you are trying to bully on here.

And I will continue to shame smokers, especially those brazen selfish a-holes that continue to light up in public.

How, by talking all mean and stuff on the interwebs? That will show them......:facepalm:

Last edited:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Please don't let this stop. I am enjoying this immensely.

You have absolutely no sound responses to the arguments supporting the smoking ban (or the creation of enclosed spaces), so you need to make yourself feel better by reminding us all of the rules, and resorting to name calling. This is perfect. Please, keep going, but try to be more creative.

I can't imagine how incensed all of you are going to be when Disney finally bans smoking. I look forward to seeing it.
Actually, not being a smoker myself, I really don't care. It's just sanctimonious prats who think that they'll change people by "shaming" them that I'll respond to....

photomatt

Actually, not being a smoker myself, I really don't care. It's just sanctimonious prats who think that they'll change people by "shaming" them that I'll respond to....
You must care, because you have posted here.
Calling someone names only hurts your position.

Wikkler

I've really enjoyed this discussion ( :rolleyes: ), but it's getting boring when this thread is just turning into 12 pages of bickering so @The Mom ...
4757d1421684965-light-weight-camper-close-thread.jpg

photomatt

Clearly they must. Elsewise we would not be having this discussion.
This is an example of a logical fallacy.

Fact 1. Secondhand smoke kills 53,800 people each year.
Fact 2. Walking through or near a smoking area at Disney won't make you drop dead on the spot.
Conclusion. It must not be harmful to walk through secondhand smoke because it won't kill you instantly.

That is a logical fallacy, in that the conclusion is wrong.

Fact. We know secondhand smoke is harmful, and it should be avoided.

Claiming that it's OK to smoke outside because non-smokers will only be exposed to secondhand smoke for a short period of time is not a valid argument.

Section106

Do the smoking sections at Disney cause all that?

What is your point? That minimal exposure to highly toxic carcinogens against one's will is somehow okay as long as a few addicted souls are allowed to publicly enjoy their addiction?

I have repeatedly stated that I do not have a problem with the smokers employing the smoking sections at WDW. I have a problem with the notion that smokers have a right to smoke and that they aren't doing anyone any harm. I have a problem with the relativism in this thread that seeks to rank peanuts and perfume as just as dangerous as secondhand smoke.

I think that we are really arguing past one another. Does anyone truly think that secondhand smoke from cigarettes isn't harmful? It is proven to kill people. That is a fact.

I think what @photomatt and I are saying is that we should look to ban smoking in the parks entirely because second hand smoke is a proven health hazard and that children are especially susceptible to the ill effects of exposure. Not that those that use the Disney provided areas should be attacked while on their vacation. I am speaking on a societal level here and I am not advocating ruining someone's vacation.

This is an example of an ad hominem fallacy. This is nothing more than a personal attack, and it's usually done by those who lack the ability to debate reasonably. It's more of a last resort, a last grasp by someone who clearly knows they are defeated.

hahahahahahaha you must be a genius :rolleyes:

jakeman

Claiming that it's OK to smoke outside because non-smokers will only be exposed to secondhand smoke for a short period of time is not a valid argument.
Well...scientifically speak, it kind of is.

There is no link to everything you posted and brief contact to secondhand smoke (brief being measured in literal seconds). Most studies would be rightfully focused on moderate to long term contact.
I think that we are really arguing past one another. Does anyone truly think that secondhand smoke from cigarettes isn't harmful? It is proven to kill people. That is a fact.
Moderate to long term exposure, absolutely. Exposure measure in seconds? Not really.

Smoking is bad. Exposure to second hand smoke is bad. With both of those clearly stated, I don't believe there is medical evidence that exposure lasting for mere seconds leads to the outcomes that you are stating.

Additionally, the smoking sections are clearly labeled on the map. If this is such a concern, wouldn't the easiest thing just be to avoid those areas?

Section106

Umm...

http://www.rodalenews.com/perfume-ingredients

"Perfume ingredients may smell good to some people (while giving headaches to anyone sensitive to the fumes), but a 2010 study suggests popular brands reek of long-term health problems for all of us."
"And, as with smoking, it's not just the person using the product that's affected. "Secondhand scents are also a big concern. One person using a fragranced product can cause health problems for many others,"

You better start cyber bulling, oops I mean shaming, those that wear perfume.

BTW, a "whiff or two of perfume" CAN kill those with those with that asthma trigger. For you to dismiss that fact is just as ignorant as the pro smokers that you are trying to bully on here.

How, by talking all mean and stuff on the interwebs? That will show them......:facepalm:

So let's have a larger discussion about the negative health effects of perfume. I don't think this topic is as funny as most of you. That people are dying at the rate of 50,000 a year from second hand smoke is not funny and it is completely avoidable. That is not funny it is tragic.

I am completely open to regulating the perfume industry to remove those dangerous ingredients. This is not an either or situation.

photomatt

Additionally, the smoking sections are clearly labeled on the map. If this is such a concern, wouldn't the easiest thing just be to avoid those areas?

Yes. I completely agree with you.

Please let me give you two examples of where current smoking areas can't be avoided.

1. There is one by the entrance to Adventureland. It is near the hub and another walkway to Liberty Square. It's hard for many people to avoid that area, especially during a parade. Second, smoke does not stay in that area. It spreads out over a much wider footprint, meaning people who are avoiding that smoking area are still forced to breathe secondhand smoke.

2. There is another area somewhere in Frontierland. Every time I ride the Liberty Belle I have to go through a cloud of smoke that gathers over the river, nowhere near the actual smoking area. It's been this way for years, so it's nothing new.

If Disney could make smoking areas far enough away from high-traffic areas where the smoke would not be an issue, then I would not object to their existence. The problem is that the park was not designed for smoking areas, and Disney has not given much consideration to where they put them.

See! I am willing to compromise. They could make enclosed spaces, or move them to where they would not be noticed. Since that has not happened, I think smoking areas should go away completely, but I do agree there are other options - they are just not being implemented. I have just been waiting for the right time to bring this up again.

Steel City Magic

Excellent for those who have asthma - that area was always good for an attack because of the acrid clouds of smoke there.
Despite the old wives tale, cigarette smoke, though an irritant is biologicaly inert and can't cause an asthma attack. It's a shame that non smokers can't coexist. Now e cigs are being run out of town as much as regular cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom