Avatar's first sequel delayed until late 2017

Macca250

Watching Avatar 2:
0DmrW_f-thumbnail-100-0_s-600x0.jpg

Burnt Toast

I just don't understand how anyone thought that anything based on Avatar was a good idea. It's too late now but STOP TRYING TO MAKE FETCH HAPPEN. IT'S NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN!

It's like my friend who looked up the reddit numbers back in February:

---
(It's) Because Avatar doesn't have a fan community whatsoever. Searching Reddit, /r/StarWars has 563706 subscribers, /r/HarryPotter has 287662, & /r/TheSimpsons has 137460. All quite large and active numbers. /r/Avatar has 750, with a stickied post explaining that the subreddit is for Avatar, not Avatar: The Last Airbender, which leads me to believe that the group is more popular with people who think that it's something completely different. In case you're wondering, /r/TheLastAirbender has 149656 subscribers.
---

I checked /r/Avatar yesterday, 19 hours after the announcement for the sequels was released, and the reddit subscriber numbers was only at 818. Well, at least it's going up.

RSoxNo1

I just don't understand how anyone thought that anything based on Avatar was a good idea. It's too late now but STOP TRYING TO MAKE FETCH HAPPEN. IT'S NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN!

It's like my friend who looked up the reddit numbers back in February:

---
(It's) Because Avatar doesn't have a fan community whatsoever. Searching Reddit, /r/StarWars has 563706 subscribers, /r/HarryPotter has 287662, & /r/TheSimpsons has 137460. All quite large and active numbers. /r/Avatar has 750, with a stickied post explaining that the subreddit is for Avatar, not Avatar: The Last Airbender, which leads me to believe that the group is more popular with people who think that it's something completely different. In case you're wondering, /r/TheLastAirbender has 149656 subscribers.
---

I checked /r/Avatar yesterday, 19 hours after the announcement for the sequels was released, and the reddit subscriber numbers was only at 818. Well, at least it's going up.
I couldn't care less about the fan base. It was an odd choice largely because of the reasons you mentioned. Where that manifests itself is in merchandise sales. Assuming those stagger but the land is otherwise popular, that's 100% fine by me. The movie definitely lends itself to a unique themed environment and that's what I care about. I'm sure Disney was expecting it to have a rabid fan base, but they inadvertently got the rights to something that is thematically appropriate.

The land will be a success if the rides are good. The intellectual property is largely irrelevant.

Casper Gutman

I couldn't care less about the fan base. It was an odd choice largely because of the reasons you mentioned. Where that manifests itself is in merchandise sales. Assuming those stagger but the land is otherwise popular, that's 100% fine by me. The movie definitely lends itself to a unique themed environment and that's what I care about. I'm sure Disney was expecting it to have a rabid fan base, but they inadvertently got the rights to something that is thematically appropriate.

The land will be a success if the rides are good. The intellectual property is largely irrelevant.

The problem is that if the IP fizzles (further, I mean... it's already fizzled quite a bit) Disney is going to neglect the land, especially since they have their own sci-fi epic franchise now. Basically, I have a very hard time seeing them ever being motivated to add anything to Pandora.

Last edited:

DisneyRoy

The problem is that if the IP fizzles (further, I mean... it's already fizzled quite a bit) Disney is going to neglect the land, especially since they have their own sci-fi epic franchise now. Basically, I have a very hard time seeing them ever being motivated to add anything to Pandora.

As much as the land cost, I don't see them being motivated anyways.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Never have I had to wait so long for a sequel I've felt so indifferent about.

Well stated!

The problem is that if the IP fizzles (further, I mean... it's already fizzled quite a bit)

Giggle. Fizzled quite a bit is kind. Beyond us, the Disney fans, who is still talking about Avatar at all. The attractions best be outstanding and cutting edge, I am guarded because all I'm seeing hyped is walking paths.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

There is evidence that directly contradicts this in Splash Mountain. If the attractions are drawing crowds the source material is less relevant. Of course, if they can shoehorn the next flavor of the week they could try and do that as well.

Princess Leia

Whats the over/under on how many of these movies end up having theatrical releases?

(I'm calling the line at 2.5, with a firm bet on under.)
I feel like Avatar 2 and 3 will be in theater, but the rest could get released to Amazon, Hulu, or Netflix (whichever company comes out with a high-def game-changing 3D platform first)

PorterRedkey

I think if the 2nd one is a huge success, the other three get released. If it just does okay, I think the next 3 movies might be combined into 2 movies, so the arc can finish out.

The is James Cameron's baby (for some reason), so I think we will at least see 3 more released in theaters. IMHO.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Whats the over/under on how many of these movies end up having theatrical releases?

(I'm calling the line at 2.5, with a firm bet on under.)
I thought they were filming all 4 at the same time. The bulk of the money on production will be spent so why would they not release all 4 in theaters? Even if the 2nd movie does just OK releasing the other 3 would still help to recover some of the sunk costs. I can't see the film doing so bad that it wouldn't be worth a little marketing costs to release the final 3. If they were filming the movies one at a time I could see the last few not getting green lit if the next one bombs.

twebber55

I think if the 2nd one is a huge success, the other three get released. If it just does okay, I think the next 3 movies might be combined into 2 movies, so the arc can finish out.

The is James Cameron's baby (for some reason), so I think we will at least see 3 more released in theaters. IMHO.
they re getting made at the same time

PorterRedkey

they re getting made at the same time
No, they are being filmed at the same time. They will be edited separately. Sure all the material will be shot, but in addition to the editing, there will be effects added, sound mixing, color correction, etc.

My point was that the footage needed to be shot with actors (live and mo-cap) will be there, but it still has to be made into a movie. If Avatar 2 just does okay, he may consolidate the footage he shot for 3, 4, and 5 into 2 movies instead of the three planned. The story arc would end at the same place as it was originally planned, it will just be a total of 4 movies instead of 5.

That said, I offered this as the only scenario where Cameron doesn't make the 4 new films as planned. I fully believe that all of the films will be made and shown in theaters.

PorterRedkey

I thought they were filming all 4 at the same time. The bulk of the money on production will be spent so why would they not release all 4 in theaters? Even if the 2nd movie does just OK releasing the other 3 would still help to recover some of the sunk costs. I can't see the film doing so bad that it wouldn't be worth a little marketing costs to release the final 3. If they were filming the movies one at a time I could see the last few not getting green lit if the next one bombs.
Filming and making a movie are 2 different things.
Filming is just one part of making a movie.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Filming and making a movie are 2 different things.
I'm just looking at it from a cost standpoint. If they spend the money to film all of the footage for 4 movies the bulk of the costs (outside of marketing) are sunk. They still need to edit the movies and add some additional effects but those costs are negligible compared to the money lost by not releasing the film in theaters. Major tent pole releases spend $200M+ on marketing these days but If the 2nd film bombs they could still release films 3-5 in theaters with limited marketing budgets and hope to generate interest through word of mouth and social media marketing instead of buying TV spots. They would still likely make a whole lot more than going straight to DVD with the same films.

PorterRedkey

I'm just looking at it from a cost standpoint. If they spend the money to film all of the footage for 4 movies the bulk of the costs (outside of marketing) are sunk. They still need to edit the movies and add some additional effects but those costs are negligible compared to the money lost by not releasing the film in theaters. Major tent pole releases spend $200M+ on marketing these days but If the 2nd film bombs they could still release films 3-5 in theaters with limited marketing budgets and hope to generate interest through word of mouth and social media marketing instead of buying TV spots. They would still likely make a whole lot more than going straight to DVD with the same films.
Marketing just adds to the crazy price tag of movie's today.

I also think you are underestimating the cost, labor and time it takes to add the CGI. Every frame in that movie will have CGI added.
Filming will most likely not be the major cost of the new Avatar movies. There are no exotic locations he needs to travel to film - the locations are all made in computers. All, or almost all, of these movies will be shot on a sound stage. That saves big coin during shooting.

However, I want to state again - I believe all the movies will get made. I also think Avatar 2 will be a huge success, but I am just going on Cameron's track record.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom