Blizzard Beach now closed for the remainder of the week due to low temperatures

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm neither a doctor nor do I play one on tv, but I've been led to believe that being wet and cold can make you' more susceptible to developing a cold if you are exposed to germs. And we are always exposed to germs.

That said, cold for Florida ain't cold!
Cold weather actually appears to stimulate the immune system.

The reason we tend to get sick more often during cold weather is we stay inside with other people making spreading germs/viruses much easier. Also the dry heat produced by heaters dries out the mucus membranes reducing their ability to fight off foreign invaders.

The Mom

Premium Member
Oh bummer, all the tourists who pack their swimsuits so they can boast they went swimming in December are going to be so disappointed. No, it's not 85* and sunny year-round here.

Real question, though. Does Disney also close the resort pools due to low temperatures?

Per my above post, going into a heated resort pool, and then coming out, wrapping yourself in a towel,and running back to your heated room is very different than walking around in cooler temperatures while wet, with no protection from the wind and no way to quickly warm yourself.

Even though the air temperature may be exactly the same, there is a huge difference between 65 degrees when the sun is shining, and no wind, fairly protected versus 65 when you add in wind, rain, and/or overcast conditions.

I often have to spend 8hrs plus on the water and will immediately start subtracting degrees from the predicted temps due to weather conditions - with an automatic 5-10 degree subtraction just because I'm on the water. Except in summer in FL - then I start adding due to the sun reflection. But generally I still start out with a light jacket until the sun is up.

I've had to deal with hypothermia when people haven't taken all of the factors into account when dressing for the day - even in Florida.

Figment2005

Also, it is always humid here in Florida, and humidity amplifies both heat and cold. Up north where 50 degrees may be comfortable, add 80% humidity and tell me it doesn't feel colder. Oh, and also add the 15-20 mph "breeze" and lets see if you're not looking for a sweatshirt. So many visitors come to Florida expecting it to be always sunny and warm, and then don't take into account that it does get cold. They then become sick and their vacations ruined.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
My point was that many tourists who come to Florida do indeed go swimming in 50-60 degree weather (we did and found out time at a water park on an empty cold day to be amazing!). The opposite is true too. My parents come to visit me from Florida and wear down winter coats when it is 50 out (and we are all wearing shorts!)

Yes, I've been in disney when it snowed. That is cold. I concede. No swimming then.

Yes - where I live 50 is shorts weather and people go to the beach when it 60 outside, That being said most people dont visit water parks when the high is going to be 60 degrees

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Also, it is always humid here in Florida, and humidity amplifies both heat and cold. Up north where 50 degrees may be comfortable, add 80% humidity and tell me it doesn't feel colder. Oh, and also add the 15-20 mph "breeze" and lets see if you're not looking for a sweatshirt. So many visitors come to Florida expecting it to be always sunny and warm, and then don't take into account that it does get cold. They then become sick and their vacations ruined.

Oh yes that nice 'breeze' and the cold dampness of added humidity of New England, Yet some idiots still wear shorts.

ToTBellHop

While it is not always humid in FL (dew points are often far below daytime temps in winter), your point is certainly true when it is humid. As has been beaten to death here, very few people wish to stand on top of a mountain, wet, 3/4 naked, in the 50-degree wind. To another poster's question, I have not typically seen the pools at the resorts close for coldness alone. I actually quite enjoy hot tubs on a chilly night, followed by a brisk run back to the hotel room!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom