Blizzard Beach now closed for the remainder of the week due to low temperatures

BrianV

The downside of going to Florida in the winter. Been there and done that. Hopefully it warms up for everyone soon!

tlking88

Indeed. Seems like any day that it is not forecast to hit 70, they close.
I worked as a lifeguard for 8 years and we couldn't open our community pool of it was less than 67*.. Never did we open lower than that so I makes since that Disney didn't open with lows expected in the low 60s. It will save money but in the long run no one really wants to swim in that temperature (event his week with the temps I the upper 60* no one was in the pool at Saratoga) but it is also likely a health thing and may be rules that they have to follow about being open..

Tom Morrow

Disney seem more and more eager to close the water park now at the slightest opportunity. I'm assuming they are saving costs by not operating. The closures are getting more and more frequent each year.
Um because nobody goes to a water park in 65 degree or less weather and it's unfeasible to expect them to open the park.

BrianV

Being cold does not make you sick, you need to come into contact with a virus to develop a cold. Wet and cold air is obviously not pleasant though.
I'm neither a doctor nor do I play one on tv, but I've been led to believe that being wet and cold can make you' more susceptible to developing a cold if you are exposed to germs. And we are always exposed to germs.

That said, cold for Florida ain't cold!

Tom Morrow

That said, cold for Florida ain't cold!
First, literally EVERY time a thread like this appears, someone has to come in and boast about how 50-60 degree weather isn't cold. NO, it's not that cold, but are YOU going to go swimming in it?? NO, YOU'RE NOT.

Second, it can get down to the 30's and 20's in Florida, so yes, that is cold enough to be "cold."

The Mom

Premium Member
First, literally EVERY time a thread like this appears, someone has to come in and boast about how 50-60 degree weather isn't cold. NO, it's not that cold, but are YOU going to go swimming in it?? NO, YOU'RE NOT.

Second, it can get down to the 30's and 20's in Florida, so yes, that is cold enough to be "cold."

I agree. And people forget that there is a big difference between going into a heated pool (where you can keep warm by remaining in the water, and then quickly get warm when you exit) and being exposed, while wet, to the cold all day - or even for an hour.

I've been in heated pools at ski resorts - but I had a towel and a sweatshirt handy and didn't linger once I got out.

There is a formula which is used to determine the risk of hypothermia. When ALL of the conditions combine, the water parks are closed. (It is also used for other outside water activities) It involves more than water and air temperature - wind,cloud cover, activity,etc are also factored in.

Hypothermia can be a real issue in Florida, because people don't think it can happen here. I've seen it happen when the temperature isn't what many would call "cold" but the other conditions (wind, rain, lack of outerwear) created the problem.

BrianV

My point was that many tourists who come to Florida do indeed go swimming in 50-60 degree weather (we did and found out time at a water park on an empty cold day to be amazing!). The opposite is true too. My parents come to visit me from Florida and wear down winter coats when it is 50 out (and we are all wearing shorts!)

Yes, I've been in disney when it snowed. That is cold. I concede. No swimming then.

tribbleorlfl

Oh bummer, all the tourists who pack their swimsuits so they can boast they went swimming in December are going to be so disappointed. No, it's not 85* and sunny year-round here.

Real question, though. Does Disney also close the resort pools due to low temperatures?

Matt_Black

I do know that I went during Christmas week in 2012 and the temps varied WILDLY, from the 30s as the low one day to very nice, reaching up to the 80s or 90s, another. And yes, the pools were opened on the days it wasn't too bad. I tried swimming the one day that started in the 40s and warmed up to about the 70-80 degree mark- it was warm enough to swim, but not nearly warm enough for me to enjoy it. Others seemed to be having a good time, though. On the other hand, if you're looking to take a nap, go for a quick dip first- immersion in cold water before lying down helps you sleep better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom