TCM teams up with Disney to refresh Great Movie Ride

flynnibus

Premium Member
As designed it was. The theatre vehicles aren't as clever as energys travelling theatre. The CM still has to control the speed aside from charge plate positioning.

And of course the show scene interactions.

Or conversely- you don't need train automation if you put a driver on it. And they knew how to make them computer controlled.

flynnibus

Premium Member
They still do the cowboy/gangster/incineration thing, which is all most people probably remembered.

Those scenes could be played out differently and with people who were not the drivers.

The point being is the show was created and envisioned with a cm who was embedded in the show... And made to be your guide out of choice and woven together.

Jon81uk

I don't think the intention is really to "sterilize" - more quality control/consistency and cost of operation. I don't agree it's the way to always go, but I see why they choose to do it.

Also if it is a cast member reading a spiel (Great Movie Ride, Jungle Cruise, Storybook Canal Boats), they can be a standard hourly worker. If they are an actor portraying a role then they are an Equity Union actor and need to be paid as such. So it is mainly a money issue, as well as the fact that an Equity actor would never work Jungle Cruise, but the union would make sure there isn't another person taking a role that should be Equity.

Luxe

From what I remember reading(I haven't visited since the refresh) you can only see those exit clips from one vehicle track.

mikeh

From what I remember reading(I haven't visited since the refresh) you can only see those exit clips from one vehicle track.

I believe this is correct. This video was shot from the "back"/gangser scene vehicle. This particular corner can't be seen from the "front" ride vehicle.

That said, when they're in lower capacity I think that they almost always use the "back"/gangster ride vehicle. Someone may be able to shed more light on this than me though.

Luxe

I believe this is correct. This video was shot from the "back"/gangser scene vehicle. This particular corner can't be seen from the "front" ride vehicle.

That said, when they're in lower capacity I think that they almost always use the "back"/gangster ride vehicle. Someone may be able to shed more light on this than me though.

You're correct. During low capacity times they use only the back car which I do believe is the gangster shootout scene.

mikeh

You're correct. During low capacity times they use only the back car which I do believe is the gangster shootout scene.

That same vehicle also uses the right side of the final montage scene, which leads to the view of the exit clips. So while there are some guests that won't see this, it will be seen by all "low capacity" guests and gangster scene guests. A nice plus for sure

Robert Rosko

It is directly above where the gangster show car exits the finale room, but it is possible to see the new exit clips from the bandit car. It's definitely not as good of a view, but I was able to see it riding the bandit vehicle this past weekend.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Did this ever turn out to be anything?
Yes. There is a new curved screen beyond the finale screen. Above the exit from the maintainence spur as you make the left turn to unload. Shows thumbnails from the new finale movie. Installed late September.

image.png

Edit: video from earlier in the thread:

TCM teams up with Disney to refresh Great Movie Ride

Last edited:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Rode the new version a few weeks ago on our visit. IMO, the ride hasnt improved any but it hasnt gotten any worse either. The CM drivers have really gotten bad over the last 5-10 years. I cant recall the last time we got a CM who was really into it and could act half decent. Now you get a bad driver combined with random narration from the speakers in the car and it just felt like a hot mess.

We got the cowboy scene which was great, but the Cowboy CM who high jacks the car was just awful. I couldnt understand what he was saying. It didnt get any better at the jewel scene. When our driver emerged from the smoke, he basically just ran down to the car without saying or doing anything. He quickly spewed out the "anything can happen in the movies" line with no emotion whatsoever. I looked around and many people had a confused look on their face. Cant blame them if they were first time riders as it did not flow well at all. We enjoyed the new finale scene at the end. Ill miss the old one, but the new one was fun. I just dont get how they continue to allow absolutely horrible efforts by the CM's who play the roles. When I rode as a child and teen in the 90's, it was so much more fun. Almost every ride we got an enthusiastic CM for both parts of the ride. They connected with the audience and had actual emotion and I believed them when they said, "I love movies".

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Rode the new version a few weeks ago on our visit. IMO, the ride hasnt improved any but it hasnt gotten any worse either. The CM drivers have really gotten bad over the last 5-10 years. I cant recall the last time we got a CM who was really into it and could act half decent. Now you get a bad driver combined with random narration from the speakers in the car and it just felt like a hot mess.

We got the cowboy scene which was great, but the Cowboy CM who high jacks the car was just awful. I couldnt understand what he was saying. It didnt get any better at the jewel scene. When our driver emerged from the smoke, he basically just ran down to the car without saying or doing anything. He quickly spewed out the "anything can happen in the movies" line with no emotion whatsoever. I looked around and many people had a confused look on their face. Cant blame them if they were first time riders as it did not flow well at all. We enjoyed the new finale scene at the end. Ill miss the old one, but the new one was fun. I just dont get how they continue to allow absolutely horrible efforts by the CM's who play the roles. When I rode as a child and teen in the 90's, it was so much more fun. Almost every ride we got an enthusiastic CM for both parts of the ride. They connected with the audience and had actual emotion and I believed them when they said, "I love movies".

That is lame. I usually get really good CM's when I ride. But when I do get a bad one, which happens, it really puts a damper on the whole experience. More consistency would be nice for sure!

HauntedMansion513

I had a mixed experience on my last trip. I rode twice, both times our drivers were in the ok to good range, but I got the gangster scene twice with different results. The first time we could not even hear the gangster because she seemed like she was whispering, but the second time around the gangster was a much better actor.

Chris82

Now you get a bad driver combined with random narration from the speakers in the car and it just felt like a hot mess.

I was really hoping the TCM sponsorship would put an end to the following conversation I keep having:

Me: "Hey, let's do the Great Movie Ride!"
Friends and family: "Does it still do that thing where the cowboy comes out with the gun and it's all painful and cheesy?"
Me: "... Yes."
Friends and family: "Then absolutely never."
Me: "Sigh..."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom