DHS Soundstage 1 Renovation - Toy Storia Mania expansion

Siren

I just noticed that the MDE app officially labels the ride as "Toy Story Mania!" Omitting the "Midway". I could be wrong but this seems like a fairly recent switch? I wouldn't be surprised if when TSL opens the facade will just be Toy Story Mania
Good. I am so glad Disney removed "Midway" from the name. I never used it anyway -- I have always called it Toy Story Mania and just used TSM. LOL.

Anyway, I hope Disney follows through and change the facade and all of the signage. It would look so much better.

Slowjack

Oh, darlin', there was no way I would get in those swinging ones! The regular one was scary enough. There was a young couple opposite us and I explained that I didn't like heights, so if I ended up on the floor, don't worry. I didn't, but I did spend the entire ride with a death grip on the wire cage while perched on the very edge of my seat with my eyes squinched shut. And, don't get me started on Soarin' or ToT....
Acrophobia can be a funny thing. Soarin' was terrifying for me, but ToT is just plain fun. For me, the trigger apparently is being next to the drop-off, not just being high or falling fast. Because there's no way you can "fall out" of the ToT, it's not scary (I mean, it's very thrilling, but not the same as mortal fear). Whereas on Soarin' all I can think about is how easy it would be to slip off the seat, or how easy it would be for my daughter to slip off the seat, how the seat belt latch could fail, or you could just slide right under...

Or: the scariest part of Expedition Everest for me is the lift hill, because there's no railing. Once we're on top, I'm good.

dstrawn9889

Acrophobia can be a funny thing. Soarin' was terrifying for me, but ToT is just plain fun. For me, the trigger apparently is being next to the drop-off, not just being high or falling fast. Because there's no way you can "fall out" of the ToT, it's not scary (I mean, it's very thrilling, but not the same as mortal fear). Whereas on Soarin' all I can think about is how easy it would be to slip off the seat, or how easy it would be for my daughter to slip off the seat, how the seat belt latch could fail, or you could just slide right under...

Or: the scariest part of Expedition Everest for me is the lift hill, because there's no railing. Once we're on top, I'm good.
the lift hill DOES have a railing, it only deploys when an E-stop is initiated
ak5.jpg

KikoKea

Same with me about the drop off or nothing under me, like with Soarin'. It took several rides before I could open my eyes and I must confess that until a year ago, I put my seat belt through the kiddie safety loop. On ToT, I have to sit near the back- I'll wait for the next car, if need be. I'm really trying to deal with this fear, though, and am doing better- I did go on the Astro Orbiter with my husband and DCA's Golden Zephyr.

brb1006

Same with me about the drop off or nothing under me, like with Soarin'. It took several rides before I could open my eyes and I must confess that until a year ago, I put my seat belt through the kiddie safety loop. On ToT, I have to sit near the back- I'll wait for the next car, if need be. I'm really trying to deal with this fear, though, and am doing better- I did go on the Astro Orbiter with my husband and DCA's Golden Zephyr.
I think I might have Acrophobia to. Since I remember having a difficult experience at Six Flags a couple years ago since the majority of the rides were roller coasters. I think I started developing this phobia when Kingda Ka was popular back in 2005. But for some reason, I don't have this in mind when I'm at WDW.

doctornick

Slinky coaster will be closer to something like Big Thunder or Barnstormer.

I would say in between, but closer to Barnstormer. Actually, 7DMT is probably the closest comp.

The ride should be longer and more "thrilling" than Barnstormer, but not as intense (and, yes, it's not that intense itself) as BTMRR. Theming will be no where as good as BTMRR but much better than Barnstomer.

I'd guess a height requirement of 38" for the ride.

Slowjack

Your progress on Soarin' exceeds mine. I rode once, and was lucky to get on the back/bottom row. There were a few moments when I could relax and enjoy myself, but they didn't last long enough for me to want to repeat. I wondered what might have happened if I'd been on the top row and decided I didn't want to find out. Since then, my family rides Soarin' without me while I wander through Future World remembering how much better it was in 1983. I was actually going to give it another try during our last trip but it was already down for the switchover. I want to win over this, though, because I don't feel Soarin' Over Pandora will be any easier.

dstrawn9889

wow--- i would happily trade my anxiety of large groups and speaking to worry about how some bit of machinery 'could' fail... anyone want to trade?

Goofyernmost

Your progress on Soarin' exceeds mine. I rode once, and was lucky to get on the back/bottom row. There were a few moments when I could relax and enjoy myself, but they didn't last long enough for me to want to repeat. I wondered what might have happened if I'd been on the top row and decided I didn't want to find out. Since then, my family rides Soarin' without me while I wander through Future World remembering how much better it was in 1983. I was actually going to give it another try during our last trip but it was already down for the switchover. I want to win over this, though, because I don't feel Soarin' Over Pandora will be any easier.
If it would help, there is no difference in the feeling on the first row or the last. The screen is curved and you are roughly the same distance away from it no matter what level you are on. You do not have the dangling legs to deal with though.

Slowjack

If it would help, there is no difference in the feeling on the first row or the last. The screen is curved and you are roughly the same distance away from it no matter what level you are on. You do not have the dangling legs to deal with though.
That's good to know. In any case, I am determined to try again next I am there and it is open.

Cesar R M

Except during the "hoisting". When you get lifting, the speed the top ones get lifted is bigger than the ones on the bottom. Aka you get really high if you're on the first line for Soarin'

RSoxNo1

Thank you. It looks like the third track and theatre for TSMM and Soarin are doing what they need to be doing.

Wait, you aren't actually implying that once in a while Disney does know what they are doing and do it right are you? Cause that will upset a lot of people. ;)
Considering that less than a month after they expanded the capacity at two of their previous operational headaches they decided to open one that was worse than both of them... the jury's still out on whether or not they know what they're doing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom