Apple Pay to be available at Walt Disney World by end of the year

bhg469

Those of us who are locals, or anyone staying offsite cannot use Magic Bands for payment.
But disabling the ability to use other nfc payment systems is where I'm totally lost. There is really no loss on Disney's side by letting the client use whatever method they want. Soft card formerly isis, and Google wallet were fine as far as security and in use for years. It's just really lame of them to shut out other proven products.

RAXIP

But disabling the ability to use other nfc payment systems is where I'm totally lost. There is really no loss on Disney's side by letting the client use whatever method they want. Soft card formerly isis, and Google wallet were fine as far as security and in use for years. It's just really lame of them to shut out other proven products.
Disney isn't. They will be accepting Google Wallet and SoftCard in addition to ApplePay. RiteAid and CVS disabled all mobile payment methods in favor of the upcoming CurrentC system.

Furiated

why would someone at WDW get their phone out of their pocket to pay with when they could use the band on their wrist? What am I missing here other than people pee their pants for anything apple? :)

Those of us who are locals, or anyone staying offsite cannot use Magic Bands for payment.

Another reason is for me, personally, using ApplePay is easier than using a MagicBand. In my experience with both, using a MagicBand to pay involves contorting my arm into some unnatural angles to try to get the Mickey heads to line up, then punching in a pin. ApplePay involves holding my phone over the card reader for 2 seconds. I'll be using ApplePay every time once this is rolled out. I also just carry my phone in my pocket and have it easily accessible, I could see this being different if your phone is in a purse or buried in a bag, or even left at the hotel.

midwest_mice

While I understand the ease of use of this, I am still old fashion and use cash 90% of the time at Disney. For me it's easier to keep track of without having to check balances, etc. In fact, the only time I use my smart phone at Disney is to double check on fastpasses if the kiosks are busy.

lazyboy97o

I'm interested to see whether the POS system will accept Canadian "wave-to-pay" cards. We've had RFID credit and debit cards here for a few years now [all with the 'wifi'-looking symbol that the Disney POS terminals have]. I assume since I can use the credit cards in swipe mode, they'll work in RFID mode as well, but you folks in the US aren't always logical... ;)
ApplePay uses the same system you describe. The computers don't care if it is ApplePay, Google Wallet or an contactless card.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I'm interested to see whether the POS system will accept Canadian "wave-to-pay" cards. We've had RFID credit and debit cards here for a few years now [all with the 'wifi'-looking symbol that the Disney POS terminals have]. I assume since I can use the credit cards in swipe mode, they'll work in RFID mode as well, but you folks in the US aren't always logical... ;)

You'll first have to be sure that your bank supports ApplePay for international transactions. From what I've read, despite Canada being well ahead of the US in infrastructure for contactless payments, ApplePay isn't yet supported in Canada. Has that changed in recent weeks?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
My point was your two 'gotchas' of needing to provide a SSN and fund with cash.. is exactly what every bank does :) I know they aren't trying to be a bank... but you act like someone just reached into your chest and just pulled out your soul by having those requirements.

I don't know why people have all this hard on about health info your stupid phone is gathering. If it freaks you out, TURN IT OFF. A stupid fad that will die out eventually on its own.

And besides... the whole notion is kind of dumb anyways. Who makes the money with Credit Cards? BANKS TOO.. so if you try to bypass credit cards enmass with ACH... whos to say ACH stays free to use?? Just a never ending cat and mouse...

On the health data my issue is with a payment system as a condition of app installation demanding access to health data to be shared with unknown 'partners'. We should stop talking about smartphones and call these what they are 'personal computers' which for many people contain their entire lives.

What business does a PAYMENT system have collecting pulse/EKG data (I know a few ironman athletes who have this kind of app on their phone) to be shared with partners.

My issue with the whole CurrentC mess is it's needless invasiveness into information it has no legitimate need for and which will be used to create profiles which will be used against the consumers interest.

It's not PayPal which was designed to allow secure P2P payments using payment cards which while it has it's flaws is not overly invasive.

As to your point it's stuff like this which will increase the cost for ACH for everyone because banks if shut out of one revenue stream will simply create another.

pug

I love and I am mad that I never got around to paying with my phone at whole foods and now Disney? I don't need to pay with my phone due to my magicband:(

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I agree 100%! I have no idea why anyone would use a debit card to make POS purchases these days when a credit card allows you to deny fraudulent charges that a person did not make, it really is helpful. To be fair, I think the big reason is that certain people have had it drilled into their heads that if they obtained a credit card "They'll be in SO much debt, they'll never be able to pay it off". There was even one person I talked to who said "credit cards are evil..."

Take it from me @donsullivan , that's not the case. As long as you keep an eye on your balance, do NOT borrow more than you have in the bank, you'll be fine. It's these people who run out an immediately buy an over expensive TV system or car who run into credit card traps.

Also, like flynnibus said, there are many credit cards who pay YOU to use them. For example thanks to my current card, I use my points to pay for my Manga obsession....very helpful on my budget indeed.

Just pay the card in full every month, I do this with my card and I get several hundred dollars in cash back every month - very budget friendly.

I have a Disney visa which I use exclusively for member fees. Costs the same as paying from checking account yet it accumulates Disney reward dollars once again a win.

flynnibus

Premium Member
On the health data my issue is with a payment system as a condition of app installation demanding access to health data to be shared with unknown 'partners'. We should stop talking about smartphones and call these what they are 'personal computers' which for many people contain their entire lives.

What business does a PAYMENT system have collecting pulse/EKG data (I know a few ironman athletes who have this kind of app on their phone) to be shared with partners.

My issue with the whole CurrentC mess is it's needless invasiveness into information it has no legitimate need for and which will be used to create profiles which will be used against the consumers interest.

Here's how I look at it... dumb ideas that require the public to buy in voluntarily typically don't succeed. So no worries from me :)

And health data isn't aggregated on your phone and collected by the CurrentC stuff... the health angle is the same stuff as you would have with a loyalty program with Walgreens, etc.

The Social/License stuff isn't stored by them either (unlike a bank or paypal...) - it's used for onetime validation.

Their privacy policy does a good job addressing all the FUD that came out of the Oct news articles on the service

http://currentc.com/50D6A97C-4B72-44D6-9021-BE0884ED2F8D/privacy-policy/

There isn't anything in there that concerns me at all except the idea of consolidation of data that today is at many different retailers... and the simple sense the ongoing battle between retailers and Credit companies.

The biggest issue with CurrentC is their core UX is pretty lame... not their privacy concerns.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Here's how I look at it... dumb ideas that require the public to buy in voluntarily typically don't succeed. So no worries from me :)

And health data isn't aggregated on your phone and collected by the CurrentC stuff... the health angle is the same stuff as you would have with a loyalty program with Walgreens, etc.

The Social/License stuff isn't stored by them either (unlike a bank or paypal...) - it's used for onetime validation.

Their privacy policy does a good job addressing all the FUD that came out of the Oct news articles on the service

http://currentc.com/50D6A97C-4B72-44D6-9021-BE0884ED2F8D/privacy-policy/

There isn't anything in there that concerns me at all except the idea of consolidation of data that today is at many different retailers... and the simple sense the ongoing battle between retailers and Credit companies.

The biggest issue with CurrentC is their core UX is pretty lame... not their privacy concerns.
No worries from me either.

As to the data gathering, CurrentC indeed was going to collect all that data until TechCrunch caught them with pants down so to speak and they've been busily walking it back because of the uproar.

PrincessNelly_NJ

It's crazy to say they are too expensive... I've had a MacBook for 8 years with NO virus protection software on it and it has always worked great without fail. My sister on the other hand, has gone through 3 laptops with Microsoft products AND virus protection, to no avail.. Give me a mac any day. I don't own a smart phone and have no plans to, so don't care about Apple Pay.
She must have bad luck because I've had my windows based laptop for 4 years and no virus protection and It runs great. I am very careful about what I download though.
My sister has an 8 year old Macbook that runs just as smooth as my laptop. And I don't think she has an anti-virus software either.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
You'll first have to be sure that your bank supports ApplePay for international transactions. From what I've read, despite Canada being well ahead of the US in infrastructure for contactless payments, ApplePay isn't yet supported in Canada. Has that changed in recent weeks?
I was asking about Canadian RFID cards, not Apple Pay. Canadian banks are not expected to reach agreement with Apple until next year or perhaps the year after. But Canadian cards already work with terminals that use RFID, unless they are a card that is not accepted by the retailer in question. For example, I can use my Amex card at some retailers, but at others I have to resort to my Visa card because Amex isn't accepted. Both cards have the RFID wave-to-pay symbol. So, it's conceivable that despite having RFID capability, Disney might only accept certain cards.

lazyboy97o

I was asking about Canadian RFID cards, not Apple Pay. Canadian banks are not expected to reach agreement with Apple until next year or perhaps the year after. But Canadian cards already work with terminals that use RFID, unless they are a card that is not accepted by the retailer in question. For example, I can use my Amex card at some retailers, but at others I have to resort to my Visa card because Amex isn't accepted. Both cards have the RFID wave-to-pay symbol. So, it's conceivable that despite having RFID capability, Disney might only accept certain cards.
ApplePay is not a proprietary system. An "ApplePay" terminal is those some contactless terminals you are already using. The few contactless terminals that may not work with ApplePay are simply an older variety, not ones that are specifically incompatible with ApplePay.

Mouse_Trap

ApplePay is not a proprietary system. An "ApplePay" terminal is those some contactless terminals you are already using. The few contactless terminals that may not work with ApplePay are simply an older variety, not ones that are specifically incompatible with ApplePay.

So does that mean we shouldn't expect new payment terminals to have ApplePay emblazoned all over them?
They should just say something like 'contactless accepted', right?

It's crazy to say they are too expensive... I've had a MacBook for 8 years with NO virus protection software on it and it has always worked great without fail. My sister on the other hand, has gone through 3 laptops with Microsoft products AND virus protection, to no avail.. Give me a mac any day. I don't own a smart phone and have no plans to, so don't care about Apple Pay.

Believe me when I say that's really not a good idea. Yes it's true that Mac's suffer from less viruses/trojans etc than a Windows machine. But it's not because a Mac is more secure by default, or because the code is better - it's because there are far less nasties out there targeting them.

If your goal is to exploit computers by casting out a net (i.e. you couldn't care who you catch), then you need to write your code to target as wide a userbase as possible. Thus most exploits are not targeted at the tiny praction of the userbase that Mac users make up.

That's not too mention that the vast majority of corporate computer systems won't be running OSX. Also the smaller user base OSX has means there are less people who have the detailed knowledge and skills necessary to write such code.

RAXIP

So does that mean we shouldn't expect new payment terminals to have ApplePay emblazoned all over them?
They should just say something like 'contactless accepted', right?
B5f18VpCIAAJvhR.jpg:large

via https://twitter.com/orlando_parks

Mouse_Trap

Great, thanks for the pic. Glad to see they are using the industry standard logo - I was fearing some gawdy ApplePay logo slapped everywhere.

This thread has been quite an interesting read, even to someone who has been using contactless for 6+ years now.

Will there be transactions limits for contactless payments at Disney, does anyone know?
Here in the UK, contactless is only available for transaction £20 or less (about $32).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom