Valet parking at Downtown Disney changes to length of stay pricing today

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Sounds like they're willing to screw over the 3rd party vendors to make an extra $5. Great job, Disney.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Just wondering...what 3rd party vendors get screwed over by this change?
First, sorry for the super negative tone in my first post. It came off as much more "doom-and-gloom"y than it should have.

But the give and take of this whole thing is that it will discourage people from spending more time at DTD. Instead of just BEING there and not having a nagging clock in the back of your mind. This will cause people to rush through all the shops and take much less time to just appreciate the atmosphere and experience.

Sure, this will only affect the folks who use valet, but those are usually the guests with the deeper pockets that you want to spend as much time as possible in the shopping district.

TheRabbit

First, sorry for the super negative tone in my first post. It came off as much more "doom-and-gloom"y than it should have.

But the give and take of this whole thing is that it will discourage people from spending more time at DTD. Instead of just BEING there and not having a nagging clock in the back of your mind. This will cause people to rush through all the shops and take much less time to just appreciate the atmosphere and experience.

Sure, this will only affect the folks who use valet, but those are usually the guests with the deeper pockets that you want to spend as much time as possible in the shopping district.
I'm not sure I totally agree. I made it out there this Friday night and let me say, the parking and construction in NO WAY seems to be affecting the crowd. It was PACKED as usually. So people are putting up with it and finding any way they can to get in there. And the valet lot was fairly empty (at 8pm). The few deep pocket shoppers are no match for the multitudes of other guests spending much less. Once again...PACKED!

cw1982

If the valet primarily serves those with deeper pockets, then the primary customer base is one who generally won't care about a few extra dollars for parking. Sure, some of them got to their financial status by being frugal, but if they have already budgeted for this, they're not going to be in any hurry to get back to the parking lot. If they don't want to pay valet prices, they're the ones who are also more likely to take a taxi.

In short, I don't know that I see this impacting the shops as much as it may appear that it would.

ratherbeinwdw

I, and many of my friends, don't use Valet because we don't want anyone else in our car. It has nothing to do with cost. And, many of the people who use it, do so because it saves all that riding around and having to walk a mile on sore feet and aching back. I don't think having deep pockets has anything or much of anything to do with who uses Valet parking. Additionally, I know many people rent cars, and you are not allowed to let anyone else drive them, even to park the car. This is not to say some people use valet because of deep pockets. I just don't think it's the rule.

CDavid

If someone has deep pockets, are they really going to be watching the clock over five dollars? I know people with money can be cheapskates, but its just a few bucks for the extra time.

HRHPrincessAriel

We typically don't spend a lot of time at DTD. Maybe just to eat and do a little window shopping. The prices would still be the same for us as I can't see spending more than 3 hours.

GrammieBee

Due to mobility issues, if we can't find a handicapped parking slot we would definitely consider valet parking. We do not have deep pockets, but sometimes convenience outweighs cost. Even though we usually stay on property, we prefer to drive to DTD as taking a Disney bus from a resort to DTD is not a fun experience. Besides, sometimes the parking fee to see one show or concert somewhere is that much or slightly less. Like it or not, it costs what it costs. It's your choice to pay it or not.

SnarkyMonkey

I would use valet parking if it was difficult to find a good spot and I don't have deep pockets. I wouldn't watch the clock over a few bucks. I think I would just assume it would cost me $20 and be pleasantly surprised if I happened to stay less and was charged less.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom