American Film Institute Showcase permanently closing at the end of this week

mahnamahna101

Look at the bright side - think of how great all the dance parties will be.

"Indiana Jones Crack-the-Whip Dance Party"
"Tower of Terror Zombie Dance Party"
"Little Mermaid Flip-your-Flipper Dance Party"
"Echo Lake Empty Cee-ment Pond Dance Party"
"Lights Motors Action Road-Racer Crash Dance Party"
"Rockin Roller Coaster Aerosmith Dance Party" starring a band that doesn't remotely sound like them
"Sid Cuhuenga Dying Attractions Dance Party"
"Echo Lake Moldy Dinosaur Dance Party"
"Muppets Rag-Doll-Rag Dance Party"
"Toy Story Mania Insania Dance Party"
"BAH to YAH Dance Party"

and of course the

"We Lost the Theme but You Can Dance Anyway Dance Party" starring Bette Midler
You mean the

"Wind Beneath My Wings Dance-a-Palooza" with Bette Midler!!!

But sadly Indiana Jones, ToT, Little Mermaid, Star Wars, Muppets and Toy Story could happen... or at least a dance party.

Seriously, the amount of shuttered attractions and lack of actual rides (Backlot Tour closing makes 5. Only 4 of which I'd recommend someone ride) makes me wish TDO would just close the park for 5 years and completely revamp/fix the park. Get it up to par by 2021 (7 years without any guests walking around is plenty of time to fix the park - even for Disney :p)

kap91

Wonder if this is related to the word I heard/posted a few weeks back that a new non-star wars ride was on the slate for DHS. Probably not, doesn't seem large enough, but it is suspicious since it's been there forever and passed its prime long ago.

Whoosh.

That was the sound of my point flying right past you.

If I were a gamblin' man, I would bet on Star Wars being added to DHS. That's not the point. The point is any time anything happens, there are dozens of posts about how it is obviously linked to Star Wars. And most of it probably isn't. People act like they are breaking ground tomorrow.

It's just getting a little old that any time a bus driver farts it's because there's an X-wing spinner being built. We probably have a good 4-5 year wait. Let's not wear out the excitement before it's even announced.

The actual opening may be years away but the announcing of such will not be. I'm sure said buildings will be used for temporary things like more Frozen events and the like, but their future will be announced soon. Th at area just makes sense.

PhotoDave219

The actual opening may be years away but the announcing of such will not be. I'm sure said buildings will be used for temporary things like more Frozen events and the like, but their future will be announced soon. Th at area just makes sense.

Uh, just because it makes sense to you, I, or anyone else doesnt mean its going to be part of a master plan.

This move is not indicative of anything especially since the mouse said they won't release details until 2015.

note2001

Am I the only one that really liked this bit...shame really.

I never knew it was there until we took the BLT two years ago. (BLT's hours have always been too limited, and the lines too long for us to bother with it.) AFIS was a nice place to cool off on an August day, but for someone who's not into props and costumes, it was so boring.

BiffyClyro

I never knew it was there until we took the BLT two years ago. (BLT's hours have always been too limited, and the lines too long for us to bother with it.) AFIS was a nice place to cool off on an August day, but for someone who's not into props and costumes, it was so boring.

I always kind of looked at it as a part of the backlot. It was also great because it actually fit the theme of the park.

Don;t get me wrong, it was cool to browse through, not spending loads of time in there. Just kind of a bummer.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Sorry but this is incorrect.

Please enough with the BRAND advocacy
Uh, just because it makes sense to you, I, or anyone else doesnt mean its going to be part of a master plan.

This move is not indicative of anything especially since the mouse said they won't release details until 2015.

Typical TDO close attractions for years announce and take a decade to build something. Just close the park already.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

@WDW1974 notes that more than a restaurant and meet-n-grope is planned but there is plenty of time for TDO to cut the attraction to a restaurant and meet-n-grope.

I believe TWDC no longer has the stomach or skill to attempt anything greater than a themed restaurant because they have become totally risk averse due to their purely financial focus so they only do 'sure things'. I'd love to be proved wrong but the forced perspective failures in NFL which could have been visualized with ANY of the 3D modeling systems just show TWDC/WDI just does not have the skill to pull off large scale 'themed entertainment' - they can only do decoration these days.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom