Minimum age restriction for Disney's Magical Express lowered

buseegal

know many parents who have to place child on plane to visit other parent. just saves parent already at WDW from having to ride bus back to airport to meet child

Tinkerbell 8

I don't see the problem at all, I got my first job at 13 and was paying my own bills, when I was only 15 I was able to pay for a trip to Disney for me and my father. Some kids are very independent and are able to take care of themselves. Its not like Disney is begging kids to go to Disney alone, as others have said, this could be helpful for kids visiting relatives and their parents don't have to worry as much since they have a trusted company that will be there when the kids arrive.

BigTxEars

Seems like a safe concept to me.

Compared to the stupidity of some of the parents in South and Central America recently this is nothing. Dropping off a 12 year old on the DME is like them being in the cradle at the White House compared to dropping a 12 year old off alone on the ABE (American Border Express) from say El Savador.

tigger1968

Not sure what the big deal here is. Disney is just getting aligned with the airlines on the age required to travel alone. I'm confident that any child traveling alone will be watched over by CMs rather intently. I think the only point of concern is making sure the driver knows he has a child traveling alone and to ensure they get off at the right resort and is met by a family member or a CM.

wilkeliza

Not sure what the big deal here is. Disney is just getting aligned with the airlines on the age required to travel alone. I'm confident that any child traveling alone will be watched over by CMs rather intently. I think the only point of concern is making sure the driver knows he has a child traveling alone and to ensure they get off at the right resort and is met by a family member or a CM.

According to what I have read with proper upon request parents or guardians can be notified that the motor coach has arrived and where their child was specifically dropped off.

JIMINYCR

Seems like a safe concept to me.

Compared to the stupidity of some of the parents in South and Central America recently this is nothing. Dropping off a 12 year old on the DME is like them being in the cradle at the White House compared to dropping a 12 year old off alone on the ABE (American Border Express) from say El Savador.

And I remember we were too scared to let our son out of our sight anywhere for 2 minutes. Oh... I get it... we were parents that gave a darned about his safety and well being.

JIMINYCR

when I was only 15 I was able to pay for a trip to Disney for me and my father.

Fantastic. Your dad must have been proud of your resourcefulness. :)
But stupid me.... for years I spent my paper route money on comic books, soda and candy bars when I could have gone to WDW.:banghead:.

BigTxEars

And I remember we were too scared to let our son out of our sight anywhere for 2 minutes. Oh... I get it... we were parents that gave a darned about his safety and well being.

I am no doubt a over protective parent of 3 :)

In 2011 we stayed at POR, I remember letting out son who was 17 at the time take the boat to DTD alone, and I was still nervous. Kid is like 6' 2" and old enough to drive and I was still a little freaked out :)

JIMINYCR

I am no doubt a over protective parent of 3 :)

In 2011 we stayed at POR, I remember letting out son who was 17 at the time take the boat to DTD alone, and I was still nervous. Kid is like 6' 2" and old enough to drive and I was still a little freaked out :)

;) About the same age we let our son start venturing off on his own at WDW.... but he had to have his phone on and check in periodically with us. DW was a wreck too the whole time until he rejoined us for dinner later that night.

BigTxEars

;) About the same age we let our son start venturing off on his own at WDW.... but he had to have his phone on and check in periodically with us. DW was a wreck too the whole time until he rejoined us for dinner later that night.

:)

This past June we let our 16 year daughter and her 16 year old friend go to DTD alone for a girls day out. That was a big step for a dad :)

Pick145

How much will this really change? Very little, the number of 12 year olds traveling to WDW alone through MCO is definitely in the minority. A policy change to align Disney with airline and state polices is all this is.

Metilinos

I think at 12 I would be scared to fly alone, heck I was scared to fly with some one until I was 23!

I'm 23 and I still don't like flying alone :(

As long as it's a well-monitored situation, then there's no big deal. Any parent who is sending their 12 year old off alone must not be too concerned or feel some form of security; or else they're insane to let them trek alone.

wild01ride

If we could put all the sensationalism aside for a moment (likely the bulk of which is coming from people who don't have kids, as ascertained by the tone...).

A perfect example is this past June when we vacationed in WDW with our son and brought along a family of friends plus one additional [child] friend.
We purchased airfare early on and the other folks procrastinated until just weeks before the trip. By then, they were forced to purchase fare on a later flight. In this case, the family (including adults) had all purchased tickets on the later flight. However, if they had purchased tickets when we did, the "late addition child friend" would have ended up on the later flight by herself. One of the options would have been for her to use DME by herself to meet us at the resort when the flight arrived.
Seems like a very reasonable option to me as opposed to sending her by herself with a lone cab or shuttle driver, particularly because Disney would be tracking her location every step of the way via the dastardly MagicBand! :)

rangerbob

How much will this really change? Very little, the number of 12 year olds traveling to WDW alone through MCO is definitely in the minority. A policy change to align Disney with airline and state polices is all this is.
I actually see quite a few unaccompanied children flying into Orlando. We volunteer for Give Kids the World and greet families at the airport. We are there a couple times a week and see at least one per week being passed over to a guardian at the airport by the airline employee.

omurice

Just curious - How many of you that are cool with this stay at Disney resorts regularly, use Magical Express, or ever worked in a hotel?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom