Minimum age restriction for Disney's Magical Express lowered

omurice

So can a 12-year-old check into a Disney resort unaccompanied? Pretty sure the answer is there has to be an 18-year-old plus to check in at any resort. So what on earth is the point? Only way this works is if you're meeting up with grandma and grandpa at Old Key West, who are Floridians or arrived on another flight, so will be there to do check-in. And what if that over-18 party is not there first, or misses their flight? Does Disney break out a babysitter for these kids, at no cost?
To quote Graham Chapman - "Stop this silliness AT ONCE!"

JediMasterMatt

Disney is just making a cash grab at the lucrative 12-15 year old demographic.;)

All part of the master plan unfolding before our eyes.

Kids like touch screen devices, so MM+ was created.

Kids like Frozen, so the SUPER EPIC MAJOR EVENT OF ALL TIME the years long gestating Frozen event at DHS is launched.

Now, 12 years and up can ride unaccompanied on the Magic Express.

The final piece of the plan will be accounced next, Frozen Sleep Away Camp for parents that can't afford to get the entire family down to WDW. Simply get your kid on a plane bound to MCO and let Disney take care of the rest. Your child will enjoy sharing a room at a Disney Value Resort with 3 other Frozen fans during an exciting week long getaway!

Brilliant! Accomplishes so much. Upsells product, maximizes occupancy, and admit it - a 12 year old has no idea that the resort really hasn't improved much since they were born.

landauh

So can a 12-year-old check into a Disney resort unaccompanied? Pretty sure the answer is there has to be an 18-year-old plus to check in at any resort. So what on earth is the point? Only way this works is if you're meeting up with grandma and grandpa at Old Key West, who are Floridians or arrived on another flight, so will be there to do check-in. And what if that over-18 party is not there first, or misses their flight? Does Disney break out a babysitter for these kids, at no cost?
To quote Graham Chapman - "Stop this silliness AT ONCE!"

This brings Disney into compliance with Florida laws. In Florida the age for being by yourself is 12.

cw1982

All part of the master plan unfolding before our eyes.

Kids like touch screen devices, so MM+ was created.

Kids like Frozen, so the SUPER EPIC MAJOR EVENT OF ALL TIME the years long gestating Frozen event at DHS is launched.

Now, 12 years and up can ride unaccompanied on the Magic Express.

The final piece of the plan will be accounced next, Frozen Sleep Away Camp for parents that can't afford to get the entire family down to WDW. Simply get your kid on a plane bound to MCO and let Disney take care of the rest. Your child will enjoy sharing a room at a Disney Value Resort with 3 other Frozen fans during an exciting week long getaway!

Brilliant! Accomplishes so much. Upsells product, maximizes occupancy, and admit it - a 12 year old has no idea that the resort really hasn't improved much since they were born.

The scary part is that there are parents out there who would pay for that exact thing. Don't give Disney any ideas... HS will become a glorified middle school hangout.

Kuzcotopia

Welcome to the New Magical Express, where the youth are numerous and in control . . .

giphy.gif

stargrl33

I think it makes sense. A lot of families meet up with other relatives at Disney. Say a mother, father and their 12 year old kid are flying into Orlando to meet up at a Disney family reunion. The mother and father might want a few nights off property, kid-free, so they put the kid in line for the Magical Express, which they know is going to drop the kid off at exactly the resort the grandparents/cousins/whatever are staying at, and they are then free to get in their rental car and do whatever they want.

psherman42

Just because a 12 year could now take the DME unaccompanied doesn't mean many will...I don't see the issue. Especially if this related to a Florida state law.

Marc Gil

When I was a freshman I high school (around 14-15), I started going to WDW by myself with my younger brother, who's three years younger than me.

During the summers months when I would visit my grandparents, who happen to live in Orlando, we would practically live at WDW.

I always felt safe at the parks. To be honest, going to Disney World by myself at a young age has made me more responsible and "street smart".

It was a blast, but I'm not saying every kid should do it though.

wilkeliza

It makes sense. As other posters have said kids could be meeting grandma and grandpa who live in the area but are staying on property with the grandkids. Now mom and dad can put them on a plan and know they will make it from point A to point B. I do believe when minors are traveling unaccompanied that an agent has to have track of them in the airport. I bet unaccompanied minors going to MDE will be taken to a meeting place and then when the 4 to 5 they may get in a certain time span all land one airline agent will walk them over to MDE and basically turn them over to Disney at that point.

This would also work for divorced parents. I know many kids in NYC (family friends kids) who have one parent here in NY and one parent who lives somewhere else. Many times the kid is meeting mom or dad at their holiday location and fly on their own. Many times these kids are super independent so Dad or mom who is already in Orlando wouldn't mind going straight to the hotel checking in etc and having the kid meet them when their flight arrives.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom