Parking lot at Disney's Animal Kingdom about to expand ahead of the park's new additions

jt04

If only WDW would still be developed with the Spirit of EPCOT! Or even with DAK's environmental focus. Solar panels on those parking deserts keep your car nicely cool, saving on A/C too, and could generate fantastic amounts of electricity.

image-10.jpg

This. And that parking lot seems especially suited for it. If I can't have parking garages I'd settle for this.

dstrawn9889

and then once you start making electricity, then you have to have employees out there cleaning the damn things, so whatever you are generating, you are spending a chunk of that just for upkeep... same with UoE roof mounted solar panels...

jt04

and then once you start making electricity, then you have to have employees out there cleaning the damn things, so whatever you are generating, you are spending a chunk of that just for upkeep... same with UoE roof mounted solar panels...

Solar projects are easily outsourced including maintenance. Likely could be done without costing Disney a cent.

Admiral01

Premium Member
You would really skip it because of the parking lot's appearance? o_O

Yeah, I do. It just doesn't feel good to me while I am trying to get into the park. It's a turn off.

It's a silly reason, but emotional reactions often are. And, for a company whose business is based on my emotional reaction to their products, I guess I expect more.

Rob562

Here's a question about AK's current parking lot. As it's the only lot I've driven to in years, as I have rented a car a couple times while staying on property and found taking a bus back to any resort from the AKL (dinner @ Jiko after a day in the AK) is a nightmare, so I drove to the AK then over to the lodge...anyway....do the other parks have the same number of spots down each row? I swear every time I've parked there I get stuck at the far end of the row from the tram pick up, normally in Unicorn (love the Beastly Kingdom character named lot) and have to walk 3.7 miles to the tram. Are the MK, EP and HS lots quite so long too?

Using the Gmap Pedometer, I measured a few of the longest aisles in the various lots.

AK the longest aisle I could find was about 700 feet long. (This actually held exactly true in a few rows in a few different sections of the lot, which leads me to believe the layout of the access lanes and tram lane were built specifically so that was the longest possible length)

At the MK/TTC lot, the longest aisle that would require the tram ride is about 750 feet long. I found one aisle about 780 feet, but from that point it was about the same distance to walk to the TTC as it was to the nearest tram lane.

At the Studios I found a couple aisles close to 900 feet, some in the 800 foot range, though most were in the 675-750 foot range.

Epcot was the clear winner (loser?), where the longest aisle was 910 feet. (And most in that section were the same length, so unlike the other lots where only a few aisles are the "loser" aisles with the long max length, that section of the Epcot lot everyone is an equal loser)

-Rob

Last edited:

ABQ

Using the Gmap Pedometer, I measured a few of the longest aisles in the various lots.

AK the longest aisle I could find was about 700 feet long. (This actually held exactly true in a few rows in a few different sections of the lot, which leads me to believe the layout of the access lanes and tram lane were built specifically so that was the longest length)

At the MK/TTC lot, the longest aisle that would require the tram ride is about 750 feet long. I found one aisle about 780 feet, but from that point it was about the same distance to walk to the TTC as it was to the tram lane.

At the Studios I found a couple aisles close to 900 feet, some in the 800 foot range, though most were in the 675-750 foot range.

Epcot was the clear winner (loser?), where the longest aisle was 910 feet. (And most in that section were the same length, so unlike the other lots where only a few aisles are the "loser" aisles with the long max length, that section of the Epcot lot everyone is an equal loser)

-Rob
Thanks Rob, guess the revelation is, don't park at EPCOT, though the walk from the bus drop off or down the oh so long ramps of the monorail are probably close to 900 feet+ anyway.

Rob562

Thanks Rob, guess the revelation is, don't park at EPCOT, though the walk from the bus drop off or down the oh so long ramps of the monorail are probably close to 900 feet+ anyway.

That I won't contradict. :)

(For the heck of it, the farthest bus stop at Epcot is 1200 feet to where you'd be walking and merge with people coming off the monorail and off the tram... If my memory of the layout of the stops is right, it's the Pop Century stop)

-Rob

pug

Sounds like a cost savings to Disney might be the reason. Less laundry cost to Disney if cast clean their own at home.
Yeah but they could mess them up and then they would have to pay for them rather then it being disneys fault:)

Mouse_Trap

AK the longest aisle I could find was about 700 feet long. (This actually held exactly true in a few rows in a few different sections of the lot, which leads me to believe the layout of the access lanes and tram lane were built specifically so that was the longest possible length)

At the MK/TTC lot, the longest aisle that would require the tram ride is about 750 feet long. I found one aisle about 780 feet, but from that point it was about the same distance to walk to the TTC as it was to the nearest tram lane.

-Rob

Love the irony of a 'long' 300 yard walk....compared to the miles people will subsequently walk once inside the park.

Rob562

What are they going to take the strobes from EE to save money and put a Tickle me Elmo in the yeti's place?

Seriously, it is good to see they are finally finishing the blatantly unfinished parking lot.

I wouldn't say it was "blatantly unfinished", but rather it was designed with expansion in mind, much like World Showcase. They didn't need to build out the entire parking lot space to begin with only to have it be vacant the entire time. (Has AK's lot *ever* closed due to capacity?)

-Rob

PhilharMagician

I wouldn't say it was "blatantly unfinished", but rather it was designed with expansion in mind, much like World Showcase. They didn't need to build out the entire parking lot space to begin with only to have it be vacant the entire time. (Has AK's lot *ever* closed due to capacity?)

-Rob
I have seen the lot full and some cars parked in the grass areas. It has looked like an unfinished parking lot with the undeveloped areas completely stripped of trees and graded for parking. It looks like they suddenly ran out of blacktop. The access road goes right around the unfinished area. IMHO It's been 15 years of unfinished parking lot.
DAK%2520Parking%2520lot.jpg

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

I have seen the lot full and some cars parked in the grass areas. It has looked like and unfinished parking lot with the undeveloped areas stripped of trees and graded for parking and it looks like they suddenly ran out of blacktop. The access road goes right around the unfinished area. IMHO It's been 15 years of unfinished parking lot.
DAK%2520Parking%2520lot.jpg
Makes sense. Beastly Kingdom was supposed to open about 12 years ago, so I'm sure they figured "we'll just leave this here and pave it in 2001." Which would have been reasonable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom