Parking lot at Disney's Animal Kingdom about to expand ahead of the park's new additions

G00fyDad

o_O now you're really not making sense. If you don't like my reply, feel free to ignore it, but don't question why I replied and then turn around and say you didn't mind people replying. I just gave you what your post was set up to receive.

No problem. Thanks for the reply. ;)

Next Big Thing

Its not always about money. Thats whats wrong with peoples thought process now days.
It's not about the money. It just doesn't make sense to put a garage there. The only reason to put garages at DAK would be if they were to expand the park out into the parking lot, which would require a major reconfiguration of the parking lot.

At that time, I would say it would be worth it to go ahead with garages. For a simple overflow lot expansion though? Makes no sense.

seascape

It's nothing but Disney being cheap... and worse.. cheap against the very people it relies upon to make their product what it is. It shows a complete lack of appreciation for the commitment their employees make.

Worse, it's spun to the employees as a benefit to them... a benefit.. so they don't have to deal with a situation that was so unliked... but was unliked because the company was screwing them in the first place! So instead of saying "we'll stop screwing you.. how about I screw you this way instead?"

Disney plays with fire here... they image relies on the front-line cast.. yet they perpetually treat them like dirt... and adding insult to injury... the company sees record profits and soaring disparities between front-line CMs and executive management.
What is universals policy on uniforms?

IAmFloridaBorn

It's not about the money. It just doesn't make sense to put a garage there. The only reason to put garages at DAK would be if they were to expand the park out into the parking lot, which would require a major reconfiguration of the parking lot.

At that time, I would say it would be worth it to go ahead with garages. For a simple overflow lot expansion though? Makes no sense.
Actually that is what I am referring too initially for expansion. That is why I didn't mention anything about money or crowds. I mean for future expansion. Someone showed a MAP of AK and expansion plots and they don't seem to have many. Looks as though they'd have to expand towards the parking lots.

Tom Morrow

If Disney paid CMs to change into and out of costumes then sure, but they don't, so its unreasonable to demand them to change before leaving.
I don't understand why people think they should be paid to go from parking to clock in. If I work downtown on the 55th floor, do I get paid to walk from the parking garage or wherever it arrive from, to walk into the building, enter elevator/stairs/transporter to the 55th floor and then clock in? I haven't at any position that I've ever worked. If you're a dental assistant, business manager, janitor, electronic technician, psychic, unless you're an independent contractor or a full time salaried employee, I don't know how you can be paid from any kind of transportation to/from work...
Does it take you 10-15 minutes to travel from said parking garage to the 55th floor? Probably not if you take the elevator. Many CM's have a 10-15 minute walk from their car to their work location. Many need to take an additional bus or something too.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Parking exceed capacity fairly regularly when E:E first opened.

Oh, OK, I can understand parking when Everest first opened, it was the draw to the park for those who didn't generally visit Disney Parks back then. Even now that isn't enough to draw for that demographic to a park that is tipping $100 day but back in 2006 coaster fanatics would have and Everest was marketed well unlike FLE.

It causes no harm to expand the parking for both cast and guests but it is presently so under capacity at most times that it is used for DTD auxiliary parking and was to be the shuttle hub for Blizzard Beach in recent times but the guests balked during that experiment as AK bus run has always been an issue for so many on sight resorts. At minimum an expanded AK lot can be an overflow lot for Blizzard Beach which does have capacity issues.

My head scratcher is Disney not dealing with the logistics of the Studios parking, capacity being only one of the issues from the beginning. If Disney is going to rework the Studios Park I certainly hope they redesign that lot beyond addressing capacity, but that is far from a given with Disney. Go figure how AK trumped the Studios parking issues.

RayTheFirefly

I know this isn't exactly related to the lot expansion,but my biggest thought/frustration with the Animal Kingdom lot situation is when you take the bus there...you have to go past the ugly/scary wall of barbed wife fences and serious looking gates on your way in/out...

Last time we thought the same thing. We were actually wondering if the bus driver was taking the wrong way there!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Oh, OK, I can understand parking when Everest first opened, it was the draw to the park for those who didn't generally visit Disney Parks back then. Even now that isn't enough to draw for that demographic to a park that is tipping $100 day but back in 2006 coaster fanatics would have and Everest was marketed well unlike FLE.

It causes no harm to expand the parking for both cast and guests but it is presently so under capacity at most times that it is used for DTD auxiliary parking and was to be the shuttle hub for Blizzard Beach in recent times but the guests balked during that experiment as AK bus run has always been an issue for so many on sight resorts. At minimum an expanded AK lot can be an overflow lot for Blizzard Beach which does have capacity issues.

My head scratcher is Disney not dealing with the logistics of the Studios parking, capacity being only one of the issues from the beginning. If Disney is going to rework the Studios Park I certainly hope they redesign that lot beyond addressing capacity, but that is far from a given with Disney. Go figure how AK trumped the Studios parking issues.
Right now, expanding the parking at AK just makes sense for a few reasons.

There is very little question that the addition of Pandora and nighttime entertainment will increase attendance AK. There is no question that will increase the parks physical capacity. Both of which will most likely require more parking spaces even if only for a few days per year.

Lastly, expanding the parking at AK is going to be an incredibly inexpensive construction project. They are essentially paving an existing field and there is next to no downside to doing it. It would rank right up there with adding a 3x6 concrete pad for trash cans to a drive way project. It boils down to 'Hey we might need more parking after Pandora is done. Lets just go ahead pave that section while we are working on Pandora. Worst case is we will use to for BB overflow."

DHS's parking situation is much more complex problem with a more expensive solution. Since expansion space at DHS is somewhat limited, expanding onto the parking lots becomes a very financially attractive option. The problem is that they don't really have their expansion plans locked down as of yet. Building a parking garage or moving roads, clearing land and building a new lot before they know how they are going to expand would be a little premature.

I think we will see them start on the DHS parking lot situation once expansion plans are a little more cfinal.

ABQ

Here's a question about AK's current parking lot. As it's the only lot I've driven to in years, as I have rented a car a couple times while staying on property and found taking a bus back to any resort from the AKL (dinner @ Jiko after a day in the AK) is a nightmare, so I drove to the AK then over to the lodge...anyway....do the other parks have the same number of spots down each row? I swear every time I've parked there I get stuck at the far end of the row from the tram pick up, normally in Unicorn (love the Beastly Kingdom character named lot) and have to walk 3.7 miles to the tram. Are the MK, EP and HS lots quite so long too?

RayTheFirefly

Of the WDW parking lots, DAK is really the worst. It is void of trees or any shade. I would rather feel like I am parking in a forest (which for me would add to the allure of DAK) than park in a desert and wait in the beating sun and humidity for the tram to come all the way to giraffe. Seriously. Plant a tree.

It is so silly of me to think, but the parking lot at DAK is such a turn off that we typically only visit that park for a few hours once ever trip. The huge expansive lot kills the theming for me. I've been in better arranged and more thematic parking lots at Target.

You would really skip it because of the parking lot's appearance? o_O

RayTheFirefly

I almost juxtaposed it with a pic of the lines of folks waiting for Potter opening, LOL - maybe that would have illustrated my point better. Basically, sure, guests who come to WDW and stumble upon it may very well enjoy it - I hope I do! - but it's not likely to attract folks who have to come because they love Avatar. If Disney put that money into Star Wars instead, folks would be lining up months in advance and camping out if Disney let them. And that's no exaggeration, LOL.

I think folks would come and line up because of a huge addition with incredible new things to see/do, not the actual theme of it.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Right now, expanding the parking at AK just makes sense for a few reasons.

There is very little question that the addition of Pandora and nighttime entertainment will increase attendance AK. There is no question that will increase the parks physical capacity. Both of which will most likely require more parking spaces even if only for a few days per year.

Lastly, expanding the parking at AK is going to be an incredibly inexpensive construction project. They are essentially paving an existing field and there is next to no downside to doing it. It would rank right up there with adding a 3x6 concrete pad for trash cans to a drive way project. It boils down to 'Hey we might need more parking after Pandora is done. Lets just go ahead pave that section while we are working on Pandora. Worst case is we will use to for BB overflow."

DHS's parking situation is much more complex problem with a more expensive solution. Since expansion space at DHS is somewhat limited, expanding onto the parking lots becomes a very financially attractive option. The problem is that they don't really have their expansion plans locked down as of yet. Building a parking garage or moving roads, clearing land and building a new lot before they know how they are going to expand would be a little premature.

I think we will see them start on the DHS parking lot situation once expansion plans are a little more cfinal.

Yeah, that is why my opinion was it causes no harm. My opinion on the Studios has always been shame on Disney for ever designing guest parking along with their bus loop design and roads in this manner. They knew better than to design a situation where guests need a crossing guard to no risk a guest being struck by a vehicle.
But Disney was consistent, they at least equally created a nightmare for the cast lot too. Hope that group never designed anything for Disney again it was very amateurish.

Matt_Black

I think folks would come and line up because of a huge addition with incredible new things to see/do, not the actual theme of it.

Indeed. Tower of Terror has been one of WDW's most popular attractions for nigh-on 20 years now, and many guests have never watched an episode of The Twilight Zone. My sister, for one. One of these years, on New Year's, I'm going to tie her down to a chair and force her to watch the SyFy Channel marathon.

The Empress Lilly

Seriously! Its like a desert of pavement. I know its Florida, I know it's going to be hot/humid, but a few trees might help create an illusion of coolness!!! By the time we walk in, it takes awhile to get back in the Disney spirit.
If only WDW would still be developed with the Spirit of EPCOT! Or even with DAK's environmental focus. Solar panels on those parking deserts keep your car nicely cool, saving on A/C too, and could generate fantastic amounts of electricity. Meanwhile you walk in the shade.

image-10.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom