Monorail system to operate on new timetable to accommodate automation work

Rosko

Hoping they'll be done by the middle of September!
Amen!

And I have to say, the whole "monofail" thing has me rolling on the floor laughing. Good one!

ETA: not laughing at your situation at all, but that one phrase totally caught me off guard. I hope it works out!

Rosko

I'm a fan. I've been to the Disney Family Musem in San Francicso and seen the results of his accomplishments upclose, but I think maybe it's time to stop trying to figure out what Walt would do or what Walt would think about a given situation. It's easy to romanticize the thoughts and ideals of someone whose been dead for about 50 years. Walt Disney was a gifted, creative genius, but he never had to face the financial pressures of business over the last 50 years. Epcot barely resembles the project that Walt so famously presented in that black and white film. While brilliant and well meaning , building a city like that simply wasn't feasible. Given today's cut throat business climate, I'm sure he would need to make some very "Un-Walt like" decisions.
I completely meant that in the romanticized notion... Hoping Walt would hold true to his values/beliefs etc etc. also hoping that the damn monorail will be fixed. A CM told me "It's OK, we'll have EXTRA BUSES and BOATS or you can WALK." The problem with that is-I don't WANT to walk! If I wanted to walk-I woulda stayed at Beach Club or Boardwalk Inn. I picked the contemporary for the monorail and the MK view-not so I could take a boat. I work on tugboats therefore I have ZERO desire to be on a boat on vacation ;-p

Rosko

It's a service you pay dearly for. Watch the planning DVD or the travel channel WDW Resorts doc on YouTube-the FIRST thing Kalogridis says about CR is "MONORAILS!“
Agreed. I pay dearly for for two rooms at the CR on each trip because of the monorail. It's not a perk. It's like covering the windows on a park view room for several hours a day. I can work around it, but, they are still taking away a service I paid for with no compensation.

Rosko

they may tell you it is something you pay for, but try to get money back because it is out of service. ERGO, it is a perk, not something you pay extra for.(that is IMHO the major difference between a function and a perk, the ability to complain and get a discount on something that is not there... like when a pool is closed at the resort, no discount)
Pools are/going to be closed at several resorts-people are being offered to switch resorts, free tickets to blizzard beach w a dedicated bus and I believe one other "perk" for the inconvenience of not having the pool. Not a discount-but an effort at giving something to the customers for taking away an advertised service of the resort.

dstrawn9889

but not for a delay
Pools are/going to be closed at several resorts-people are being offered to switch resorts, free tickets to blizzard beach w a dedicated bus and I believe one other "perk" for the inconvenience of not having the pool. Not a discount-but an effort at giving something to the customers for taking away an advertised service of the resort.

The Monorail is operating on a fixed schedule not dependent on park hours. The Magic Kingdom Resort beam runs from 8:30 a.m. to midnight; the Magic Kingdom Express beam runs from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.; and the Epcot beam runs from 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. Extra buses and watercraft will run during the Monorail's downtimes to provide additional transportation options.

resort beam operates a half hour before opening... only a half hour later than normal operations...

Stine

We just returned from our trip last week, and I have to say, we had no problems with the monorail in the evenings, and we stayed at Epcot until after the fireworks. We did not take the monorail in the mornings. Instead we walked to the Magic Kingdom and took a cab the one morning we needed to go to Epcot early. For HS, the bus was fine, no longer than a minute or two wait.

Now, dinner at Animal Kingdom Lodge is another story. On our first night we had reservations at Boma. We elected to walk to the MK bus depot and left with at least an hour or more until our reservation time (the front desk at the CR told us to leave 45 minutes - 30 should be plenty, but there might be rush hour traffic).

Well, after waiting an hour for the bus to arrive, and watching 3 buses for all the other hotels come and go, needless to say, everyone was cranky. I flagged down another bus driver who told me that one was coming, and during my wait, I also attempted to call re: my reservation. That phone call took over 20 minutes on hold until I could get someone to let the restaurant know we were on our way - didn't want to lose my deposit! At the same time, I then asked to be transferred to Transportation or Guest Services, to find out what was happening with the bus. After another 25 minutes on hold, I gave up when the bus arrived. Needless to say it was packed, and those trying to return to the MK from the AKL were not successful in boarding.

Not a nice way to treat your deluxe hotel guests. An AKL guest told me that in the morning of that same day, there were no buses either, and it was just chaos. That is when we decided to cab it to Epcot the next morning.

With regard to the A/C on the monorail, it always seemed to be running, but not very strong. Could just be that it is a small, enclosed space with a bunch of people warming the car. All cars, did however, smell a funny farm like smell. Not pleasant. All in all, a good trip, though.

Rosko

We just returned from our trip last week, and I have to say, we had no problems with the monorail in the evenings, and we stayed at Epcot until after the fireworks. We did not take the monorail in the mornings. Instead we walked to the Magic Kingdom and took a cab the one morning we needed to go to Epcot early. For HS, the bus was fine, no longer than a minute or two wait.

Well, after waiting an hour for the bus to arrive, and watching 3 buses for all the other hotels come and go, needless to say, everyone was cranky. I flagged down another bus driver who told me that one was coming, and during my wait, I also attempted to call re: my reservation. That phone call took over 20 minutes on hold until I could get someone to let the restaurant know we were on our way - didn't want to lose my deposit! At the same time, I then asked to be transferred to Transportation or Guest Services, to find out what was happening with the bus. After another 25 minutes on hold, I gave up when the bus arrived. Needless to say it was packed, and those trying to return to the MK from the AKL were not successful in boarding.

Not a nice way to treat your deluxe hotel guests. An AKL guest told me that in the morning of that same day, there were no buses either, and it was just chaos. That is when we decided to cab it to Epcot the next morning.
I'm sure hoping it's gonna be fixed! I really am all set with a cab to Epcot!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom