PHOTOS - Polynesian Resort DVC construction

halltd

How much are these going for a night again? I'm not sure I'd want to be paying $3,000 a night (or whatever it is) and be that close to the MK ferry boats. Those boats are not quiet (especially the announcements) and can run into the wee hours of the mornings. Plus, how romantic to sit by the water in those pretty awesome hanging chairs (or in the hot tub) and have thousands of people on the boat staring at you...with their zoom lenses. :)

I do love the concept of these, just maybe not the execution. I'm a bit surprised they didn't flip the floor plan so the decks were facing away from the ferry dock. hmmmmm.

note2001

How much are these going for a night again? I'm not sure I'd want to be paying $3,000 a night (or whatever it is) and be that close to the MK ferry boats. Those boats are not quiet (especially the announcements) and can run into the wee hours of the mornings. Plus, how romantic to sit by the water in those pretty awesome hanging chairs (or in the hot tub) and have thousands of people on the boat staring at you...with their zoom lenses. :)

I do love the concept of these, just maybe not the execution. I'm a bit surprised they didn't flip the floor plan so the decks were facing away from the ferry dock. hmmmmm.

IMHO, this has been the biggest issue since the conception of the project. (Almost) Everyone will want the Bungalows furthest away from the ferries and as we know someone has to take the undesired "view". I don't have my map, but aren't there about 7 down this way?

Clamman73

Right...I would hope they're going to add some more privacy screening on that side.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Tuesday, Mar 17.

The feature pool at the Polynesian Village Resort. More workmen there today than I have ever seen. Views from left to right. The children's water play area in foreground, with feature pool volcano in the background.

IMG_5112.JPG

The shape of the feature pool is determined, filled with water, but not yet filtered. You can see the feature pool has an infinity edge at the far end of the pool overlooking the Seven Seas Lagoon. When in the pool, it might appear that the pool "extends" to the lagoon.

IMG_5114.JPG

A closer look at the rock work in the background of the photo above.

IMG_5115.JPG

Most of the photos in the recent past have been taken from the elevated view of 'Ohana's. Today, we have photos taken from ground level showing some specific details of the refurbishment.

The view from the walkway along the side of the Samoa building shows the deep cave-like opening in the volcano. Not visible in this photo, but there are doors in there. Could there be a future waterfall over this cave opening into the pool?

IMG_5104.JPG

The view angled slightly to the right shows two new pool-side buildings.

IMG_5105.JPG

In the below photo, you can see two new buildings on the left side of the volcano as well as stairs over the water slide exit into the pool.

IMG_5107.JPG

Finally, in the below photo, as well as the above, there is a black "volcanic rock" wall that separates the pool area from the walkway along the Samoa building. In front of that new wall, there is a new metal fence, seen in these two photos, that runs the entire length of the walkway and pool area.

IMG_5109.JPG

In another area, a new walkway is being prepared along the Rarotonga building facing the quiet pool area (see below). The photo was taken from the "courtyard" near the Club Disney and laundry building at the east end of the Rarotonga building.

IMG_5102.JPG

Last edited:

flyerjab

Photo update as of Tuesday, Mar 17.

The feature pool at the Polynesian Village Resort. More workmen there today than I have ever seen. Views from left to right. The children's water play area in foreground, with feature pool volcano in the background.

View attachment 87242

The shape of the feature pool is determined, filled with water, but not yet filtered.

View attachment 87243

A closer look at the rock work in the background of the photo above.

View attachment 87244

Most of the photos in the recent past have been taken from the elevated view of 'Ohana's. Today, we have photos taken from ground level showing some specific details of the refurbishment.

The view from the walkway along the side of the Samoa building shows the deep cave-like opening in the volcano. Not visible in this photo, but there are doors in there.

View attachment 87245

The view angled slightly to the right shows two new pool-side buildings.

View attachment 87246

In the below photo, you can see two new buildings on the left side of the volcano as well as stairs over the water slide exit into the pool.

View attachment 87247

Finally, in the below photo, as well as the above, there is a black "volcanic rock" wall that separates the pool area from the walkway along the Samoa building. In front of that new wall, there is a new metal fence, seen in these two photos, that runs the entire length of the walkway and pool area.

View attachment 87248

In another area, a new walkway is being prepared along the Rarotonga building facing the quiet pool area (see below). The photo was taken from the "courtyard" near the Club Disney and laundry building at the east end of the Rarotonga building.

View attachment 87249

Can you tell in those photos where the large, infinity hot tub is going?

WDWtraveler

Can you tell in those photos where the large, infinity hot tub is going?

No, I can't tell. I didn't know the hot tub would be an "infinity". My initial thought was the hot tub(s) would be in the rock work (third photo) at the back of the feature pool area, which is furthest away from the children's water play area and closest to the Hawaii building which currently houses the concierge rooms.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
The shape of the feature pool is determined, filled with water, but not yet filtered. You can see the feature pool has an infinity edge at the far end of the pool overlooking the Seven Seas Lagoon. When in the pool, it might appear that the pool "extends" to the lagoon.

The view from the walkway along the side of the Samoa building shows the deep cave-like opening in the volcano. Not visible in this photo, but there are doors in there. Could there be a future waterfall over this cave opening into the pool?
Thanks @WDWtraveler for the photo update. As a longtime Poly guest, I can state that the feature pool has retained the same shape it had prior to closure. The entry closest to the beach has always been zero-depth (or infinity edge). The big swath of beach (and the lounge chairs on it, and people in the chairs) between the pool and the lagoon tend to take away from the "cool, the pool extends into the lagoon" factor :cool:.

The deep cave-like opening in the volcano is also nothing new. The waterfall did indeed flow down from the rocks into the pool. And the doors were for the restrooms. I would be surprised if these features weren't incorporated back into the finished product.

However, as your photos reveal there are many new things to look forward to at the feature pool!

tikiman

Thanks @WDWtraveler for the photo update. As a longtime Poly guest, I can state that the feature pool has retained the same shape it had prior to closure. The entry closest to the beach has always been zero-depth (or infinity edge). The big swath of beach (and the lounge chairs on it, and people in the chairs) between the pool and the lagoon tend to take away from the "cool, the pool extends into the lagoon" factor :cool:.

The deep cave-like opening in the volcano is also nothing new. The waterfall did indeed flow down from the rocks into the pool. And the doors were for the restrooms. I would be surprised if these features weren't incorporated back into the finished product.

However, as your photos reveal there are many new things to look forward to at the feature pool!

They are still bathrooms and showers under the rocks and the waterfall will be back but not as big as before. It limited visibility of the lifeguards.

durangojim

It looks...fine but not exceptional. To me not worth the money to stay in one of the bungalows. I loved the Poly and am totally looking forward to Trader Sam's but not sure if we'll be staying there any more. I wonder if they will still have cabanas by the pool.

note2001

I like every element of the new bungalows except the living room furniture (easily replaced) and the location. I fear for the cast members at the front desk when they have to explain to a guest why they got one of the the units down by the ferry.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Saturday, April 4. Update to the Polynesian Village Resort feature pool area. Workmen were putting the finishing touches to the entire area. A cast member said the feature pool will open in 1-2 days (this weekend), with the exception of the children's water play area, which is still under construction. Here are various photos of the area that guests were viewing today.

IMG_5246.JPG

The view from the courtyard at the rear of the Great Ceremonial House.

IMG_5247.JPG

The view along the walkway in front of the Samoa guest building.

IMG_5248.JPG

Entrance to the feature pool area near the concierge Hawaii guest building. The hot tub is to the right of this photo.

IMG_5251.JPG

An overview from 'Ohana's, showing the children's water play area still under construction.

IMG_5252.JPG

A view from the lagoon end of the feature pool area looking at the hot tub. This side of the hot tub has an infinity edge. A maintenance hose is lying over the rock wall here.
IMG_5241.JPG

The same hot tub from the entrance side of the hot tub, showing the infinity edge on the opposite side.

IMG_5250.JPG

The pool bar, built into the volcano feature, is split by the fence. One side of the pool bar is inside the pool fence, the other side (shown here) is accessible from the walkway to the transportation boat dock.

IMG_5243.JPG

Finally, the back side of the volcano showing the stairway to the top of the interior water slide. The walkway to the left goes to the watercraft dock and the transportation dock.

IMG_5245.JPG

WDWtraveler

Miscellaneous photo updates around the Polynesian Village Resort, as of Saturday, Apr 4.

Replacement orientation maps have appeared on the Polynesian Village Resort grounds showing the bungalow updates, but not all signs have been updated yet. The long building oriented north/south, labeled Tokelau, is still fenced off and under construction. All other buildings are open.

IMG_5232.JPG

The original walkway between the Ticket and Transportation Center and the Polynesian Village Resort is open again.

IMG_5231.JPG

The following four photos were taken from "Sunset Point," the top of the grass berm overlooking the beach and the bungalows. The is one walkway to this area, which consists of a circular pad with two benches. A great place to watch fireworks at night. A paved walkway circles the base of the berm, with access gates and piers to the bungalows. Photos from left to right.

IMG_5236.JPG

IMG_5237.JPG

IMG_5238.JPG

IMG_5239.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom