800 number disconnected?

DougK

Original Poster
I just tried calling 1-877-939-3732 and the recording said the number was disconnected. This toll-free number used to get you to Disney reservations for resorts, dining, etc. The person on the recording even mentions "if you are trying to reach Disney please call 407-828-8101".

Does anyone know why they disconneted this number?

Disney probably can't afford to keep the 1-800 number and want you to pay to make the reservation.

with the recent raise in restaurant prices I think it is time to consider eating off of Disney Property.

Kamikaze

Disney probably can't afford to keep the 1-800 number and want you to pay to make the reservation.

with the recent raise in restaurant prices I think it is time to consider eating off of Disney Property.

Oh cry more. Why would you still be paying for long distance? Get a cell phone. If thats not possible, get a VOIP service, like Vonage, and be done with it.

barbara

I know orginally the 800 number was suppose to be for travel agents only, and non travel agents found out about the number, maybe they changed it, because travel agents couldn't get thru

Kashyyyk

I know orginally the 800 number was suppose to be for travel agents only, and non travel agents found out about the number, maybe they changed it, because travel agents couldn't get thru

I don't think the number quoted at the start of this thread was a travel agent only number. I have one of those (years ago my travel agent inadvertently gave it to me). That number is still active, but you have to give your travel agent identification number as soon as you connect, unlike the one above. While I feel like a travel agent sometimes (among my friends and anyone they give my number to), alas....I am not.

I hope another one comes up. I waited on the phone for 6 hours one day (in various hold patterns) to make a grand gathering for 20+ people last year (before I found out about the toll free number). It ate up my entire monthly long distance phone allowance. Being from Canada, we can't use our cell phones (you would be shocked to find out how much that would cost....we don't get the same deals US residents do). Calling to the US is much cheaper than it use to be, but not the same as it is for you guys.

Glad it happened today and not yesterday (when the Free Dining Plan went public and I had to finalize plans for the rest of my Group of 48 not already on the bounceback offer) :)

I will be on the look out for a new one. :lookaroun

DisneyMusician2

Oh cry more. Why would you still be paying for long distance? Get a cell phone. If thats not possible, get a VOIP service, like Vonage, and be done with it.

I agree. Why have the 800 number when 99% of phone service includes unlimited long distance?

Shouldn't inconvenience too many, and you can always find a local TA, who I find much more helpful than the Disney Reservation people to begin with.

DougK

Original Poster
I have a cell phone through my job and the reception here at my house is horrible. Most major businesses still have 800 numbers I just wish Disney still did. If they could afford it up until now they should still be able to afford it, from all I have read business at the parks is still booming even with the economy showing signs of weakness.

I wouldn't care so much about paying for a call to make my dining reservations if it was a 2 minute call, but sometimes you are on hold for quite awhile, then you can't get the time/restaurant you want, etc and suddenly you have spent 20-30 minutes or more on the phone. Obviously if I can afford to go to WDW I can afford some phone calls, but I shouldn't have to pay for the call, it's just good customer service to offer an 800 number.

Disneykidder

I haven't used that 800 number in years. It hasn't worked in that long.
My phone carrier, cell and home, have long distance included. Most people have this now so 800 numbers are diminishing.

MousDad

LOL at how cheap Disney is.

Don't they realize how stupid it looks when they're the only company in the world that doesn't have an 800 number? :hammer:

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member

Don't they realize how stupid it looks when they're the only company in the world that doesn't have an 800 number? :hammer:
Doesn't seem to be affecting their business much.

uklad79

Even my call plan in the UK includes free calls to the US so 407 numbers are free. If you live in the US and you are paying for these you are being ripped off.

optjay

The problem might be the number of children calling the 800 number to talk to Mickey?, Clogging up the system. If parents need to pay, maybe their parents might not let them call.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
If you live in the US and you are paying for these you are being ripped off.

I agree wholeheartedly. My mobile plan includes the entire North American Numbering Plan and my home phone includes the entire US and US possessions.

And I'm not paying an exorbitant amount for this... people just need to learn to negotiate ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom