7th annual Super Soap Weekend at Disney MGM Studios

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
Original Poster
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Susan Lucci (“All My Children”) will headline a star-studded lineup of more than 30 stars from the ABC Daytime dramas Nov. 9-10, 2002, at the seventh annual ABC Super Soap Weekend at Disney-MGM Studios.

ABC Daytime once again will partner with Colgate Total Toothpaste as its presenting sponsor of the event that will be held at the Disney-MGM Studios at Walt Disney World Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Fla.

“We are thrilled to bring the excitement and joy of this event back to Disney-MGM Studios for a seventh time,” said Angela Shapiro, president of ABC Daytime. “Our loyal fans help to make this unique weekend an unqualified success and we look forward to making this year’s event the most exciting one yet.”

Throughout the event, fans will have the opportunity to meet favorite stars from the four ABC Daytime dramas -- “General Hospital,” “All My Children,” “One Life To Live” and “Port Charles.” Fan festivities include celebrity motorcades, autograph sessions, game shows, interviews and the chance to purchase one-of-a-kind memorabilia from each of the shows. The elaborate, star-studded event also features live musical performances by several cast members.

The Colgate Total sponsorship includes a national sweepstakes, awarding trips to the action-packed Super Soap Weekend.

ABC Super Soap Weekend is included with theme park admission to the Disney-MGM Studios -- where guests of all ages are caught up in the glitz, glamour and excitement of show business. For future updates and more information about ABC Super Soap Weekend, guests may call the Super Soap Hotline at 407/397-6808, or visit the ABC Daytime Web site at ABC.com.

DLMAGICDARREN

I am going, it will be my third year!

Even non soap fans have a lot of fun. You don't have to follow the current stories to love seeing the stars. But if you do it's fun to see what storylines they will admit to, since they tape 6-8 weeks in advance, they are filming the Christmas stories when we see them in early November.

Brer Big Bear, I don't think Universal's has been announced yet. Last year it was scheduled for the same week as Disney's, but the 9/11 siuation had them cancel. So I would imagine that it will be early November (if they do it this year). I'd keep my eye on this page, I bet this is where it will be listed when it is announced.
http://themeparks.universalstudios.com/orlando/website/phi_themepark_info.html

Timekeeper

NBC Cancels Universal's Soap Event

It has been confirmed that NBC has cancelled the soap weekend originally scheduled to run at Universal Studios on November 2 and 3. Universal's event was scheduled to compete with Disney's Super Soap Weekend.

How will this effect fan traffic at the Disney Studios?

Well, fans of NBC soaps (such as Days of Our Lives and Passions) are unlikely to visit Disney Studios and their featured ABC soap stars as a "replacement" to visiting the annual event at Universal. Fans of both networks - which would be difficult considering that the televisions shows air simultaneously - may end up at the Studios.

Tk

DLMAGICDARREN

Sure there will be rollover from NBC soap fans. It's possible to channel swith and watch one NBC show, and another ABC show. Days is currently the number one NBC show, while General Hospital is the numbewr one ABC show. It's quite possible to follow those two shows which air at different times.

Also not all shows air at the same times in all parts of the county. Here in Orlando we get Guiding Light at 10AM, but in Los Angleses it airs at 2PM.

I apologize for not realiziong Universal cancelled thier event again this year as quickly as others knew, but now nowing that, it will be similar to last year. Since Universal calcelled their event last year as well, just with much shorter notice.

Last year there were plenty of fans looking for the non ABC stars at the event. It really dpeneds how much of a fan you are, how much you know about which network each show is on.

Chris

How does this weekend work? I am considering taking my wife for our anniversary but don't want to go if you spend the entire weekend trying to just catch a glympse of the stars. She is a huge ABC soap fan and it would really make her year. Is it worth the trip?

DLMAGICDARREN

The event lasts from morning Saturday, to evening Sunday.

All regular park attractions are open, however special events include;

I can't swear to the weekend schedule, but here is how they did it last year

1) Motorcar Parade, about four or five stars drive up Hollywood Blvd parade style, and then sit down and interview with the host (last year it was Walt Willy (Jack Montgomery of All My Children) After the interview guests from the crowd ask questions to the stars. After they parade back down the street. They do about seven of these parade/interviews throughout the day, each day, alternating the shows the parade specializes in. It's held in fromt of the Mickey Sorcerer Hat.

2) Super Soap Specail - Who Wants To Be A MIllionaire Play It. In this special edition the winner who goes to the hot seat, picks a card, indicating one of the ABC Soaps, a star from each show is available, so depending on the show you picked, that star is your partner for the game. They do about three of these each day.

3) Super Soap Talk Show, The ABC theater is done up like an official talk show format. The host (last year was Linda Dano) from One LIfe To Live (well she's been on all four ABC shows, but that's the current one). Stars are interviewed, coming attraction clips are played, and a guest films a scene with a star. It's a much more professional indoor show, then the Motorcar Parade/interviews, which are done outside. They do about 7 each day.

4) On Location autographs - the stars are asigned specific times and places throughout the park. The star is available for photo and autographs but based on the star's popularity, a line will accompany, but each star goes on lacation a few times.

5) Street Jam - each night (although the Sunday finale one is usually a bit bigger) the stars shed their daytime charecters and perform their other talents, usualy singing, or being in a band. These are both days, but only once per day, about at park closing.

So as you can see, you will be busy all weekend. The stars are rotated through each of the events, and a prgoram is available, so that you can prioritize which star is most important for you to see and in which format (the parade, a game of Millionare, The Super Soap Talk Show, or the On location autograph)

If your wife is a fan of all four shows, she will never be able to finish every event with every star, but she will sure have fun trying.

Keep in mind, this is how the event was handled last year, and anything could change, as the details for this year's have not been announced, but I'd guess it's safe to assume it will be handled similarly.

The event is only at the Studios, the other parks operate normally.

Bravo466

Here is a hint if you want to see some of them.

My friends father is an ABC exec and a few years ago we went with them during the soap week. We went to a dinner with all the stars and such at the board walk hotel at night. So you may catch glimpse of them if you wait outside. (Security won't let u in the hall) I know when ever i walked out side there were a lot of dire hard fans waiting to see them. (Funny in that I knew not a single of the stars so I just randomly went around the dinner asking for autographs)
This was a couple years ago so i don't know if the still have the dinner there.

Jumba Jookiba

My Sister is going down for that Weekend.. Their is not a single room available in any Disney Resort.. The only opening they had was 1 campground spot. So she would up getting a room in the Hilton right outside Downtown Disney.. Their is suppose to be 2 conventions going on also. So from what I heard last year it was Packed but with all the rooms sold out I expect it to be more packed than last year/...:zipit:

I have gone every year and I wouldn't miss it for the world! But it is a weekend when we all leave our kids/husbands home. It does seem to get more crowded every year. We are staying at The Beach Club this year. Only 5 1/2 more weeks, can't wait!:sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom