70s/80s/90s Disney or today and beyond?

If given the option, would you want an old era of Disney back?

• Total voters

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
Guys, I don't know whether it is because of the amounts of change going on or nostalgia for me, but I am really missing what others call the tacky version of the 90s now. Well, I miss it. Ok? The 90s might have been tacky to some of you, but it played such a big role for me as a kid. That is what I latched on to and remember the most. There are some here who feel the same way for the parks from 1980s or earlier.

And yes, we have multiple threads of arguments on this topic. Blah blah Blah.

But I really want to see the numbers on this on who would want an older era of Disney back or if you want to go plaid....erm I mean forward.
mNA4dm.jpg

Vote away. Please be kind.

BoarderPhreak

To each their own. What was it about the 80s for you?
As I alluded, the 80s in general were my jam. Music, hairstyles, funky fashion, devil may care attitude about everything because of The Bomb and so on. But I digress.

As for Disney, that's where my fondest memories lie; for example the shiny new EPCOT Center and its message. That was also arguably when the Disney Difference™ was in its prime.

Hula Baloo

I think I may be in the minority, but I love all the changes and additions to the parks. The 90s did have the best Disney movies though! Mulan, Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, Aladdin, Pocahontas, Toy Story, Bug's Life, etc.

Goofyernmost

I went with current times even though my happiest time there was in the 80's during my first family trip. The trip that hooked me on WDW to the tune of 45 trips (46 coming up). Today is so much more exciting and diverse. It was a great trip initially, but, the sights, sounds, technical advances and the shear volume of things to see and do now knock the 80's out of the park.

Last edited:

Smiley/OCD

Our first trip was our honeymoon in '93...we got to see the Epcot that was, MGM/HWD that was...and ride 20K, Mr. Toad, the original Snow White, Tiki Birds and the skyway.. f I had a time machine, I would like to experience that just one more time, but all things said, I'll keep today with the new things that are planned.

World_Showcase_Lover007

It seemed like the 90s had a buzz to it at WDW and everything was a big deal/spectacle. Or Maybe it’s just bc I was young at the time that it seemed that way. You got excited to see the celebrations bc you didn’t know in advance of your trip what was taking place at the park.

LUVofDIS

I think overall the parks are better today than the 90"s (my first visit was 94), with the exception of EPCOT, today I don't feel it is even close to what it was. There are many rides I miss and of course there is no time like the first time.... that is the first time visiting WDW, maybe not some other firsts, I will leave it at that. Any who, I like going to the parks and experiencing new adventures, even if they are not always grand slams or in some cases even a walk. With a few exceptions, I feel many of the "replaced" attractions are better the some, and I mean some, of the original rides.

John park hopper

Been in the 70's only MK loved it -- been in the 80's loved it when EPCOT opened. IMO the 90's where the best simply because my boys were young and really loved it and I lived it through their eyes.

Sir_Cliff

I'm going to be specific and pick early 90s. Very exciting time for growth and change just before much of the "old stuff" was replaced.
I would agree with this. Sometime in the second half of the 1990s, things really took a turn. During the first half of the decade, though, it seemed like you had a mix of classic MK and EPCOT Center along with a sense that new and exciting things were always around the corner.

Jon81uk

But Eisner started in 84 so the low point is when he came in The mid-eighties.
A lot of good happened while Eisner was CEO for the first 20 years or so.
Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom as well as Disneyland Paris.
Little Mermaid, Lion King and Beauty & the Beast.

But then in the 2000s he got focused on cost-control and we got the poor looking DCA 1.0.

He was exactly what Disney needed in the 80s and early 90s, in the same way Iger was exactly what was needed in the 2000s (he kept Pixar on board and then bought them) and also he got DCA rebuilt, but now in the same way Eisner got too focused on costs, Iger is too.

juniorthomas

Although I'm fairly certain that my vote - the 90s - won't be coming back in any significant degree, I take comfort in the fact that the 90s will continue on all of the road signs on property, for a little while anyway.

jloucks

I wen't for the very first time in the 80's, so the first neural pathways that formed in me noodle are based on the park back in those days. Therefore, I would LOVE to timewarp back and see it again, as it was. Even if it 'stank' compared to today.

Walt Disney1955

I said the 1990s, but can you really go wrong? You could pick the 1970s too if you wanted and still not be wrong. They all have their pros to them. The 1970s was still fresh off Walt's death and a real game changer opened up in 1971. Even well into the 1990s there were still lots of people with influence who knew Walt or worked with him. Roy Disney Jr. comes to mind from that era for example.

Today, there might be a little less of that old-fashioned charm, but there still is a lot of charm and a "bend over backwards" attitude to make your trip the best.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom