6 percent drop in overall attendance

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Original Poster
From the Business Briefs section in The Chicago Sun-Times
03 Sept 02
Credit: Bloomberg Business News and Associated Press.

Theme parks still stuck in travel downturn

For Walt Disney Co. and other theme-park operators, the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks continue to hurt sales, adding to their struggles against a sluggish U.S. economy and competition for consumers' leisure time. Disney, the second-largest U.S. entertainment company, said last month a decline in theme-park attendance will cause earnings this quarter to fall from the year-earlier period. That's partly because fewer people from outside the U.S. are visiting the company's Florida and California parks. The company said a 30 percent fall in attendance by customers from outside the U.S. contributed to a 6 percent drop in overall attendance at Disney's U.S. parks in the quarter ended June 30. Terrorism fears led to a decline in tourism from some countries to Vivendi Universal SA's Universal Studios in California and Florida, a spokesman said.

Bloomberg News, AP

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
So its fear of terrorism not overinflated flight prices thats keeping us Brits away? If things are so bad how comes ome flights 12 months from now are already booked? And as the UK is the biggest sector surley these statistics dont add up, especially assome UK airlines are saying trans atlantic flights bounced back quicker than expected.

Maybe visitor numbers are ok but park attendance IS down but Disney dosent want to admit it might be guest dissatisfaction.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Original Poster
Originally posted by happy snapper
So its fear of terrorism not overinflated flight prices thats keeping us Brits away? If things are so bad how comes ome flights 12 months from now are already booked? And as the UK is the biggest sector surley these statistics dont add up, especially assome UK airlines are saying trans atlantic flights bounced back quicker than expected.

Maybe visitor numbers are ok but park attendance IS down but Disney dosent want to admit it might be guest dissatisfaction.

well...they did not say all of it was fear of terrorism...

it said
"..fall in attendance by customers from outside the U.S. contributed to a 6 percent drop in overall attendance" :)

emmagata

Originally posted by GoofyMike29
How about this sagging economy, not everyone has the cash to go out spend it travelling, whether its Disney World or China

Let's face it, unless you're a local with an AP, or on a tight budget, Disney can be an expensive to very expensive vacation.

However, there doesn't seem to be a shortage of deep pockets on this board (and the others WDW boards I frequent).

There also doesn't seem to be a shortage of those that travel (longer than a day car trip) to WDW 2 or more times a year and stay on site.

I just ordered tickets for 10 for WDW,IOA,US,KSC and MVMCP in December and even with about $150 discount, the bill was around $3500!

$3500 JUST FOR TICKETS!!!!

CAPTAIN HOOK

Originally posted by DMC-12
well...they did not say all of it was fear of terrorism...

it said
"..fall in attendance by customers from outside the U.S. contributed to a 6 percent drop in overall attendance" :)

Yep, but it also says :-
"The Sept 11th terrorist attacks continue to hurt sales........."
Surely that is a fear of terrorism

Mr. Toad

Originally posted by CAPTAIN HOOK

Yep, but it also says :-
"The Sept 11th terrorist attacks continue to hurt sales........."
Surely that is a fear of terrorism

While that may be part of it I think the 9/11 attack's impact on the economy has as much to do with it as the actual fear of terrorism.

I can't say that anyone I know is staying home due to fear but they are staying home due to money issues (either they don't have it or they have decided not to spend it at this time). Incidents like Enron and WorldCom haven't helped matters either. Once the economy picks up and consumers/investors start to regain some faith in corporations I think attendance will increase again. And I do think some people are dissatisfied with Disney (not that they would admit it) but oddly enough they complain about it and go back anyway (myself included).

baynesj

Just wanted to add my opinion to this discussion, I feel that it is probably a combination of everything (9/11, sluggish economy, and the fact that people are a little distrubed with some of the corporate happenings of late.) that has attendance down. I will be there in about three weeks for my annual vacation, but I don't think I will go back for a little while. Overall, however, WDW is a great place to visit and eventually everything will bounce back.

Scooter

I think having Disney in Tokyo and Paris might have something to do with the lower attendance also.

I used to see a lot more of our Asian and European friends at Walt Disney World.

I wouldn't worry too much...I think Disney is just spreading the wealth around.

:animwink:

tenchu

Originally posted by happy snapper

Thats exactly the point i was making on another thread a wee while ago. We found it difficult even to book or trip for this year, and we booked it last february, relatively soon after 11/9.

Fewer flights are being chartered, but the ones which are, are certainly getting sold out!

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Just a little drift, but my trip to WDW next month was cheaper than going to Cyprus, about the same as 4 days at DLP, and only a £100 per person more than a threeday city break to Berlin.

Yes I thought long and hard about which option to take.:)
Also no flights available at Oct half term, surely with all this spare capacity the airlines could put extra airframes on the Florida route, after all the hotels are available, and to me it makes sound buisness sense, supply and demand and all that.

homer424

Originally posted by emmagata

I just ordered tickets for 10 for WDW,IOA,US,KSC and MVMCP in December and even with about $150 discount, the bill was around $3500!

$3500 JUST FOR TICKETS!!!!

I hear you-for when we go down in March the tickets for WDW will be the most expensive part of my trip! The hotel we are staying at for 5 days isn't even HALF of what the tickets are.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom