5k on Disney cast away cay

patch553

Original Poster
Hi all will be gong on my 4th Disney Cruise in feb 2020 not sure which one yet. My question is I know they do a 5k on the morning of cast away cay each cruise that goes there. Never done it before and want to do on my next cruise how do you sign up for it and find out information about it please ?? Do you just sign up when you board ship or do you have to do before please ?? Thankyou for any replies

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
You sign up once you've boarded, at Guest Services on Deck 3. Don't wait too long once you're on the ship, as space is limited.

You'll meet in one of the lounges at 8:00 AM the morning the ship reaches Castaway Cay. This is to check off runners who have registered, pick up your race bib and safety pins and get instructions and an overview of the course. Runners will be the 1st to get off the ship, around 8:30 AM. You'll then walk over to the post office to wait to be taken to the starting point. There's a spot to drop off a bag, but we just return to our stateroom to shower and grab a bite to eat. Starting time is around 9:00 AM. Make sure you plan on something to hold your Key to the World card, so you can get off & back on the ship. A lanyard around your neck isn't going to work, trust me.

Warning: no matter what time of year you run, wear race clothes for very warm...make that hot...weather. Wear a visor and sunglasses, and sunscreen. There are two water stations along the course, but the island has cold water dispensers with paper cups all over the island and you'll pass several along the course. Important in that part in the loop, as the hedges block any breeze. I stop, get a cup, dump it over my head, grab another to drink.

At the finish line, you'll get your medal. It's rubber, like the old WDW 5k ones. If you want a Castaway Cay 5k tshirt, they are available only on the island, at one of the two shops.

patch553

Original Poster
You sign up once you've boarded, at Guest Services on Deck 3. Don't wait too long once you're on the ship, as space is limited.

You'll meet in one of the lounges at 8:00 AM the morning the ship reaches Castaway Cay. This is to check off runners who have registered, pick up your race bib and safety pins and get instructions and an overview of the course. Runners will be the 1st to get off the ship, around 8:30 AM. You'll then walk over to the post office to wait to be taken to the starting point. There's a spot to drop off a bag, but we just return to our stateroom to shower and grab a bite to eat. Starting time is around 9:00 AM. Make sure you plan on something to hold your Key to the World card, so you can get off & back on the ship. A lanyard around your neck isn't going to work, trust me.

Warning: no matter what time of year you run, wear race clothes for very warm...make that hot...weather. Wear a visor and sunglasses, and sunscreen. There are two water stations along the course, but the island has cold water dispensers with paper cups all over the island and you'll pass several along the course. Important in that part in the loop, as the hedges block any breeze. I stop, get a cup, dump it over my head, grab another to drink.

At the finish line, you'll get your medal. It's rubber, like the old WDW 5k ones. If you want a Castaway Cay 5k tshirt, they are available only on the island, at one of the two shops.
Thankyou so much that’s very helpful it answered all my questions. I run with a little belt bag on so will put my card in there and hopefully hubby will get some pics for me and grab me a shirt before I finish and have it ready at finish line 😝

LAKid53

Premium Member
Thankyou so much that’s very helpful it answered all my questions. I run with a little belt bag on so will put my card in there and hopefully hubby will get some pics for me and grab me a shirt before I finish and have it ready at finish line 😝

It's a cotton shirt. And like most Disney shirts, it runs small, so tell him to go up a size for the woman's shirt.

EOD K9

It's a cotton shirt. And like most Disney shirts, it runs small, so tell him to go up a size for the woman's shirt.
I have a CC 5K shirt and it is not cotton. It is a tech type shirt. The men's are a greyish color and the ladies' is in red. I ran both days on the DVC Member Cruise last month and as always, it was hot.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I have a CC 5K shirt and it is not cotton. It is a tech type shirt. The men's are a greyish color and the ladies' is in red. I ran both days on the DVC Member Cruise last month and as always, it was hot.

I only saw the cotton one. Would have preferred the performance fabric like the runDisney race shirts. I ran the 1st day at Castaway Cay. And yeah, it was hot. Noticed the medal lanyard didn't have the year on it.

EOD K9

I only saw the cotton one. Would have preferred the performance fabric like the runDisney race shirts. I ran the 1st day at Castaway Cay. And yeah, it was hot. Noticed the medal lanyard didn't have the year on it.
It was nice having a year on it, but obviously without it, they don't have to worry about overstock. It was hot both days actually.

LSLS

Just to add, the race is a ton of fun. It's a great way to see the island. It is very humid/hot, but it's fun. And hey, it's free. Always thought the cast do a wonderful job setting it up and running it for everyone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom