News 5G Cellular Service Installation Under Way at WDW

lazyboy97o

What’s the point of 5g speeds? I can watch movies, send photos and video via email, and any other desired day to day activities on my phone.

So it’s more for laptop use? Like it’s designdd to replace cable internet for your computer?
The question of why 5G is so important isn’t one where you will get a lot of clear and concise answers. It very much is a hype machine. As you notice, it is technology and speed looking for a purpose. Some see it as this panacea that will fix the horrible state of broadband offerings in the US but don’t realize that it has to connect to actual wires. We don’t really have the infrastructure in place for 5G to deliver on its promises outside of specific areas.

Kingoglow

So now the only limitation will be Disney's crappy WDW app which they have turned into more of a platform for unrelated banner advertisements than a useful in-park tool.

When I am in the park, I would rather have access to wait-times for rides, buses etc. and not the latest Disney Parks Blog recipe. I am not baking in the parks!

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
So it’s more for laptop use? Like it’s designdd to replace cable internet for your computer?

That's a really good point as most haven't decided exactly what it is and how they want to use it or what it's capable of providing. High-speed wireless connectivity to the internet has one thing that others still struggle with: Last-mile infrastructure not dependant on interior building wiring and facility access. No more copper, cable, or fiber to trench to each and every location and subsequentially maintain repair and troubleshoot.

5G turns what was up to now wireless phone service providers into Communication Service Providers, something that up to this point was covered by ISPs, Cable, and Sattelite industries. It's a disruptor as all of these separate industries have a service cost basis that's tied to all those bits of the physical plant infrastructure and encoding/decoding that have been "skipped".

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
So now the only limitation will be Disney's crappy WDW app which they have turned into more of a platform for unrelated banner advertisements than a useful in-park tool.

When I am in the park, I would rather have access to wait-times for rides, buses etc. and not the latest Disney Parks Blog recipe. I am not baking in the parks!

Theres plenty of blame to spread around without even including the MDE app. The design and infrastructure that the servers and data sources it uses can have the finger of blame pointed at them as well.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
So will there be some kind of lottery to decide who the new 5G service (a) turns gay, (b) gives Covid, or (c) turns into a frog?

You are already awash in the caressing waves in those frequency bands and have been for decades, so its nature vs nurture. Did you have the inclination to become an amphibian to begin with?

maxairmike

That's a really good point as most haven't decided exactly what it is and how they want to use it or what it's capable of providing. High-speed wireless connectivity to the internet has one thing that others still struggle with: Last-mile infrastructure not dependant on interior building wiring and facility access. No more copper, cable, or fiber to trench to each and every location and subsequentially maintain repair and troubleshoot.

5G turns what was up to now wireless phone service providers into Communication Service Providers, something that up to this point was covered by ISPs, Cable, and Sattelite industries. It's a disruptor as all of these separate industries have a service cost basis that's tied to all those bits of the physical plant infrastructure and encoding/decoding that have been "skipped".

Except the two biggest wireless providers are already also two of the biggest conventional cable/ISP corporations, so there's really not much disruption at all. T-Mobile is the only major wireless carrier that isn't. Verizon and AT&T have both been seriously neglecting older wireline infrastructure for the better part of the last 10 years, and have actively avoided installing wireline (both fiber and copper) in areas where they were supposed to (see the lawsuits in NY with Verizon). They're both ready for the change in business, and as long as they can keep regulations as loose as they currently are on wireless will be quite happy to transition. What happens to pure wireline ISPs like Charter Spectrum, Frontier, etc is TBD, but I doubt wireline dies off.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Backhaul is the new constriction point in many cases now. It will be interesting to see how TMobile does. For years Sprint was sitting on a LOT of dark fiber, that I’m assuming TMobile acquired.
Yes we did :) Plenty of domestic
1611683827271.png

and plenty of international https://www.sprint.net/tools/network-maps

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Except the two biggest wireless providers are already also two of the biggest conventional cable/ISP corporations, so there's really not much disruption at all. T-Mobile is the only major wireless carrier that isn't. Verizon and AT&T have both been seriously neglecting older wireline infrastructure for the better part of the last 10 years, and have actively avoided installing wireline (both fiber and copper) in areas where they were supposed to (see the lawsuits in NY with Verizon). They're both ready for the change in business, and as long as they can keep regulations as loose as they currently are on wireless will be quite happy to transition. What happens to pure wireline ISPs like Charter Spectrum, Frontier, etc is TBD, but I doubt wireline dies off.

I'd disagree with their readiness to change. They've gone down some really nasty rabbit holes with content provider purchases... really expensive holes.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Can confirm that there are a couple of them at the Polynesian. (Nice Brown Color). One of them by each pool. I believe there are also some nice shiny green ones at the Grand Floridian, again by the pools.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom