52 in 52 week 48

phllymouse

Original Poster
Week 48 brings me to 2008!
So close to the end and to be honest..I never thought I could pull it off this far.

Well any way..2008 had two really good animated movies this year.
The one I turned down was from PIXAR and that is Wall-E. I did not get Wall-E at first, it was just a bit odd to me. However each time I watch it, I like it more. In fact I own a copy of it and if you asked me if I was going to own after the first viewing in the theaters I would have said no. I know there are a lot of people who ranked this number one on their PIXAR list, so to each his own, no argument, I mean I give it 4 of 5 Mickeys.I have no hate for it. I have peaked ahead with four more weeks to go I will be reviewing one more PIXAR movie , when I do this I will list my PIxar favorite movies in order.
This week I decided to go with an underappreciated (at least I feel) Oscar nominated, Golden Globe nominated, animated movie Bolt. Bolt I feel got lost in the 2008 Wall-E love. This animated adventure follows Bolt (John Travolta), a canine actor forced to make an cross-country trek when he's mistakenly shipped from Hollywood to New York City. Believing that he and his fictional character are one and the same, adds personal confusion on the trek back to his owner Penny (Miley Cyrus). He gets help on this road trip by a cat named Mittens (Susan Essman) and a hamster named Rhino (Mark Walton).
It is a real fun movie directed by Bryon Howard and Chris Williams. The movie kind of gets stolen by another great Disney sidekick Rhino. So many funny lines. If you have not seen this movie..trust me, just watch it for Rhino. Rhino is up there with Dory and Dug as great Disney sidekicks. Well anyway..back to the film. The director Chris Williams also cowrote the script with Dan Fogelman. The writing could not have been better, the writing is what makes the movie go. Funny Moments, some adventure and I also have to add there are some tissue moments (Note when Mittens expains her past life). It is just well done.
Faults just a couple:
I Liked Miley, however not sure if Travolta and Essman were the right voices for this.
The second small issue is that they leaned to heavy on Bolt's action adventure in the beginning, so the story does not really get going until about 15 minutes into the film.

Fun and not so fun facts:
Miley was not the first choice for Penny, in fact Chloe Grace Moretz voiced the entire movie before Miley came in.
The design of Rhino in his plastic ball was based on John Lasseter's pet chinchilla, which was brought to an animators' retreat during the film's production.
First Disney animated feature conceived and produced in 3-D. They had two other films in 3D however they were converted.

So Bolt. Well done. Maybe a hidden jem for some. It gets 4 out of 5 Mickeys.

A last thought before I go..does anyone who has seen this movie, see the correlation between Bolt and Disney child stars? Discuss.

Well have a wonderful week.

Thanks again for your time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom