5 years cancer free and I'm going to Disney!

David

Original Poster
Please allow me a little thread of a different sort....

In 21 days, we're heading back to our favorite vacation spot. It's will be a celebration of sorts because I'm now 5 years cancer free from melonoma. Earlier this week, I had some more tests done and everything looks clear. I will have to continue checkups from time to time, but 5 years is a real benchmark and I give thanks to God for this good news.

So now, I start really getting ready for another trip down with my family. Of course, I've been preparing since we booked the trip earlier this year, but now I KNOW I'm ready to start packing bags.

One final word. when you are at WDW, the beach, outside for long periods of time, be sure to wear sunscreen and protect yourself. I would have never thought about cancer when I was younger and loved working on a tan, but that desire to have a great tan has gone. Sunscreen is a normal part of being outside now.

Get ready Mickey. See you real soon!

Nemo14

Congratulations, and great advise! Don't leave home without sunblock - it's not just a summer thing!

Have a magical trip!:wave:

Hey, congratulations! What wonderful news :)

I work out in the sun all day as a Disney Custodian, and I've never even opened the bottle of sunscreen my mom made me buy. Today, in your honor, I think I'll slather up. :)

Enderikari

That is wonderful news David.... Congrats! and enjoy time spent with family! Its the most important thing in the world...

David

Original Poster
Hey, congratulations! What wonderful news :)

I work out in the sun all day as a Disney Custodian, and I've never even opened the bottle of sunscreen my mom made me buy. Today, in your honor, I think I'll slather up. :)

Nothing could make me happier! Although being back at WDW will be a close second.

Congratulations!!!! Have a wonderful trip and enjoy the time with your family!!:sohappy: :sohappy:

Also when you are putting on your sunscreen don't forget about your ears!

David

Original Poster
Not a chance of forgetting about those! Of all places, that's where the melanoma was located.

Uponastar

Congratulations David! :sohappy:
How nice of you to take the time to remind us of the importance of sunblock!
I wear it every day. . .not just in the summer.
Enjoy the anticipation of the next 3 weeks and have a wonderful time when you finally do leave!
Trip report when you get back, please!

CelticRose

My mother also had Melanoma, she had to have a peice of her nose removed, (I lost both my parents to cancer, so this is my big soapbox)so ever since that happened there is not a day that goes by without sunscreen on, especially in south Mississippi. We have the grandson trained that before he goes outside he has to have his lotion on. Also people forget the backs of their hands.

Congratulaions David, That is wonderful news, Have a great time at WDW, go have a Dole Whip to celebrate!!!!:sohappy:

Not a chance of forgetting about those! Of all places, that's where the melanoma was located.

Unfortunetly a lot of people forget about them which is what makes the ears a prime target.

For the benefit of all of us--here are the easy to use recommendations from the American Cancer Society:

Slip! On a Shirt. Protect your skin with clothing.
Slap! On a Hat Wear a hat with a wide brim. Your ears, neck, and face get a lot of sun.
Slop! On Sunscreen. Use a sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 15 or higher.

bgraham34

Well thats great to hear you are cancer free for 5 years. My friend will be cancer free 10 years in January and he is going to Disney World too, so have a great time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom