5 year old Grandson with Beef and Wheat allergies! Can we do this?

bsmartin2000

Original Poster
Our grandson will be 5 when we plan to take him on his first trip to the "World". I am wondering about his allergies. Do you think this would be manageable? Should we go with the dining plan and hope that we can find him something to eat or should we pack lunches to take.. Does anyone know if Disney has special food for people with allergies? Any help greatly appreciated!:)

HouCuseChickie

Disney is EXCELLENT with food allergies. 3 is the magic number for common allergies, but the beef allergy would be an uncommon allergy, so Special Diets should be able to work very closely with you. Check out this link...
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/special-dietary-requests/

You'll need to email them or call to get started and there's a special form they'll have you complete. We have more common allergies so the chef just usually just meets with us to go over what we can and can't have (i.e. we just add it to our ADRs and bring it up at check in and when being seated), but for more uncommon allergies, they'll go out of their way to make sure he gets safe food--even if it's not on the menu. In fact, TS meals are the safest with allergies. Not that CS can't be safe, but TS is where they can really make sure everything is made according to his allergies.

awesomeinabox

I'm allergic to all red meat and pork (among other things) and had no problem in the park. It's actually easier than eating out in the real world. The guy at Special Diets are the best. I found it easier to plan out one thing I can eat at at least one restaurant or quick serve in each land and it made things so much easier and makes kids feel less awkward than they would when they have to ask for a special menu.

luv

I think you'll be fine. Check the menus before you go. If there is nothing on it he can eat (which would be unlikely), give them a call at least 24 hours out and they'll hook you up.

I toured with a friend who has a religious thing where she can't eat meat or anything that is made with anything that comes from any animal. No chocolate cake, because it would have had eggs in the mix...et cetera. Ridiculous! But she managed to find something she could eat in every restaurant. We never called anyone or had to ask anyone anything, except to see if substitutions could be made.

wilkeliza

Call reservations and get transfered to special diets. They will have everything ready that he can eat. I know the worst for little kids is feeling different and singled out so doing the planning ahead of time will allow him to feel normal because they will already know. Also it will make sure he isn't disappointed to find out later that something he really wanted to try is not okay for him.

Do you know if the beef allergie is also for beef stocks and gelatins? If so make sure you are very clear that those are no-nos as well so that they will make something with chicken stock and use vegetable based gelatins (idk if there is a guarantee that pork gelatin is none beef). You'll be surprised how many chicken and fish dishes use a beef stock as a base so be aware of that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom