40hr Week?

fngoofy

Original Poster
If working attractions full time, how many hours are you scheduled for each week? I have seen 32 and 40 and was wondering.

Also, for those CMs out there, I understand that WDW is hiring for attractions now. If I were hired in the next month or so, would they tell me where and when I would be working upon hiring?

Lhriangel

Originally posted by fngoofy
If working attractions full time, how many hours are you scheduled for each week? I have seen 32 and 40 and was wondering.

Also, for those CMs out there, I understand that WDW is hiring for attractions now. If I were hired in the next month or so, would they tell me where and when I would be working upon hiring?

This actually depends on the time of the year and if the parks are busy or not. 32 is considered full time and a full time contrat states (I think) that they can not give you less then 32 hours. However in the summer you could be getting 40+ hours depending on your area and how over/under staffed it is.

(Sorry Rob I was tired and in pain when I was typing this :lookaroun )

Invero

For transportation, the minimum is 30 hours for full time status...

For a long while, Monorails was still at 32-35hrs despite everyone else being back up to 40... that of course didn't last long, after a large percentage of the department transferred out (and more still are leaving.) So... now that they are severely shorthanded, they started handing out gobs and gobs of overtime, and begging people (like myself) to help out and pick up extra shifts.

In Busses, I'm getting scheduled 37hrs, plus a 6hr overtime shift on my 6th day. However, I have the option to pick up tons of O/T should I desire it.

Upon being hired... Casting will tell you what job you'll be doing, and what general area you will be working in... however, they sometimes wont be able to tell you exact specifics.

fngoofy

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the responces!

A follow up question:
If "Full time" is 32hrs, when does overtime kick in? At 33 hrs or at 41 hrs?

Also, do schedules change week to week, or is it basicaly the same shcedule each week.

Thanks again.

Lhriangel

Now I'm thinking this is true but I don't have my employee manual so I can't be completely sure but from what I remember is overtime kicks in either the sixth day in a row you work in a week or after 40 hours. Does that make sense at all?

(Rob am I right here?)

I know when I was down on the CP my schedule changed every week.. but I was on the college program. I think that all depends on senority and the needs at any given time but I could never rely on my schedule even giving me the same days off two weeks in a row! (might just also be the reality of my job location/position as well but *shrugs).

Invero

Thanks everyone for the responces!

A follow up question:
If "Full time" is 32hrs, when does overtime kick in? At 33 hrs or at 41 hrs?

Also, do schedules change week to week, or is it basicaly the same shcedule each week.

Thanks again.

Disney and overtime works like this... (Based on a 5 day work week)

0-8hrs... Straight Time (ST)
8-14hrs... Overtime... 1.5x (OT)
14+hrs... Doubletime... 2x (DT)

Plus...

6th day... 0-14hrs = OT... 14+ is DT
7th day is the same... but some departments it's automatic DT

PLUS...

If you clock out one night... and return to work the next day, and your clock in time is LESS than 8 hrs... you continue at the same rate from the previous day... For example, you worked 10hrs... (that's 8ST and 2OT), you would continue at OT for 2 more hours, and then go into DT... in monorails, we called that a "Doubleback" although some refer to it as "Turnaround"

NOW... to add even MORE confusion... Disney also has 4 day work weeks... (4 ten hour days versus 5 eight hour days)

0-10 = ST
10-14 = OT
14+ = DT

5th + 6th day... auto OT
7th day... same as above.
Doubleback policy same as above.

You'll note that I never mentioned "OT over 40hrs..." the reason being that Disney does it per day... even still, you will never have more than 40 ST hours. Also... because of this... it's technically possible to work an entire week without having any straight time... and have it be all over time and double time... I've done it myself before... it's exhausting, but the paycheck was nice.

As for Schedules... if you have enough seniority... you can bid for a set schedule... For example, when I was in Monorails... my bidline was

Sun - 0600-1330 GF
Mon - 0800-1400 MK
Tues - 0800-1400 MK
Wed - Off
Thurs - Off
Fri - 0745-1545 MK
Sat - 0600-1330 GF

Now... even with a bidline... hours are subject to flex with park hours. For example, if the MK was open late on the weekend, I'd work 0600-1630 GF... And if they had mandatory OT, they'd give that to me on my preferred day (Thurs). Of course... they never had mandatory OT during that bidline because that was during all the cutbacks.

While the hours might flex... my work location was set... and the hours could only flex within a certain range. And if you elected not to have overtime... you would always have those set days off.

Now... if you don't have enough seniority to bid... or you choose not to bid... you go into the "Pool". The folks in the pool get assigned shifts based on seniority, expected park hours/attendance, and open shifts. Basically... the junk that's left over. (Although, personally, I usually get decent shifts in the pool.) In the pool however, they can bounce you from days to nights and switch your days off around... I personally prefer having my days off on Wed and Thurs... so I never have a problem getting them off... and if for some reason I need a weekend off, I just ask for it, and 90% of the time I can get it... not a big deal.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
tyler pretty much got it...

about the Bidlines though, not all departments offer set bids like his, or my old one:

SUN-MK DMM Parade + Hoedown
MON-MK DMM Parade + Hoedown
TUE-ST FA + ST F!
WED-ST FA + ST F!
THU-EC Masq
FRI-OFF
SAT-OFF

In most attractions you pick your days off based on seniority, and preference which attraction (a la MK land or MGM area) or task (every other park/attraction) you do.

In most other areas you preference your days off and nights/days/weekends/etc.

fngoofy

Original Poster
WOW!

Thank you, that is very complex.

I assume that the computer that calculates all these variables is fairly accurate.

What's overtime like now and what do you anticipate for the summer? I know that it varies from department to department, just looking for a general feel of things.

Also, who decides whether you get a 4 or 5 day work week? Is it in most areas? If it is in your area is it mandatory or do you opt for it? Do many people go for the 4 day week?

Thanks again.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
WOW!

Thank you, that is very complex.

I assume that the computer that calculates all these variables is fairly accurate.

What's overtime like now and what do you anticipate for the summer? I know that it varies from department to department, just looking for a general feel of things.

Also, who decides whether you get a 4 or 5 day work week? Is it in most areas? If it is in your area is it mandatory or do you opt for it? Do many people go for the 4 day week?

Thanks again.
the 4 or 5 day week, you can preference.

for the most part, a 4 day week, consists of 4-10 hour days.

as for OT, it's summer, all departments will have some OT.

Invero

Disney has an O/T Hotline that you can call... if for some reason you can't get overtime in your department, you can pick up O/T at another location around property doing something that doesnt require a lot of training... (ie: audience control, food & beverage, etc). Although, some of the shifts do require some training...

As summer (and busy seasons) approach, O/T becomes more readily available. Right now, Busses I know has a ton of open shifts, plus a ton of people are trying to give away thier overtime shifts.

In addition to the masses of open shifts, one can ask thier coordinator to Extend if available. This just means extending an 8hr shift to a 10+ hour shift, or whatnot.

As of right now, in Busses... I'm having no problems getting all the O/T I want... with the exception of the DOT laws... lol... I'm only allowed to work 12 hours per day, and not allowed to exceed 70 hours in an eight day period. I also must have a minimum of 8hrs between shifts.

Maria

Tyler,
Thanks for reminding me all that! I would usually work from 7 to 3, but when I was at the pavillion, the shifts were of ten hours each day and I got home so exhausted that I really didn´t care for OT! (Only when I needed more money, of course!). And yeah... seniority was a big thing there... I arrived before many people in the pavillion, but because I was scheduled to be there only three months, I had the lousiest shifts (closing time all the time) and everybody would pick schedules but me... I was the last one in the list :( only because to the pavillion, I had "just arrived"! (and of course, I left and only two more persons had arrived after me!):rolleyes:
I was relieved when I left the pavillion to be honest with you... ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom