400 pounds, recovering from hip replacement, but hitting WDW in Jan

killowatts

Original Poster
I'm a 1973 Disney repeat visitor in my 50's now and former Infantry grunt, so I can still walk, even though I'm old and fat ;) I had hip replacement surgery in November. For a variety of reasons, I've made solo reservations at the Contemporary for January and intend to hit most of the parks during my short 3 night stay. I can already walk without a cane, but a cane makes it easier now, doubt I'll have it by mid-January. I'm also a big dude (6', 400lb) so I'm realistic that I'll likely not be strong enough handle 2.5 days of parks without some assistance, so I'm considering a scooter rental.

Question to the forum: If I park-hop (yes, that's back in Jan and I got it), do you keep your scooter with you wherever you go each day or do you drop off at one park and pick up at the next?

Tentative plan
Day 1 - arrive early, take the monorail from Contemporary to EPCOT while awaiting check-in, lunch somplace simple/cheap and then dinner reservations at the Biergarden at sunset, hit other attractions along the way, monorail back to Contemporary and assess fatigue and joint pain, if any.

Day 2 - early start at Hollywood Studios, lunch in Star Wars area and early dinner at the Derby and birthday dinner back at the Contemporary late at California Grill.

Day 3 - early start at the Magic Kingdom to hit all the traditionals (Mansion, Pirates, Tiki, etc). Knowing I might be gassed by then, I'm not making any reservations, play the day by ear. Might park hop over to Animal Kingdom too, not sure.

Day 4 - be at the transpo desk 3 hours before my flight, aka 1pm. Possibly shop a bit in the morning if transportation to/from the mega-store is feasible, else just rest up.

(constructive) feedback very welcome as I begin planning.

Goofyernmost

This is just what I did last year when my back issues made any extensive walking or standing difficult. I rented a scooter from an offsite location and was able to go everywhere I wanted in the parks, Disney Springs. When I didn't need it I didn't bring it but there is a huge difference between walking casually at home and covering the expanse that is WDW. Just a suggestion because as long as you can walk all you need it for is to get to the ride areas. Most queues are negotiable with the scooter and it saves a lot of wear and tear on the joints while still allowing you to exercise them as well. I know I would never have been able to do the whole place with no issues at all. Worth thinking about anyway.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Question to the forum: If I park-hop (yes, that's back in Jan and I got it), do you keep your scooter with you wherever you go each day or do you drop off at one park and pick up at the next?
Depends on if you rely on the WDW scooters or rent one from the preferred vendor.

If you use WDW, you drop at the park you're leaving and pick up another one at the next park -- if they still have any.

If you rent from outside, you take with.

Obviously, there are pros and cons for each method.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
There is no guarantee that a scooter will be available to rent at the park. They have only a limited supply. Rent offsite if its an absolute must to have to be mobile.

Club Cooloholic

There is no guarantee that a scooter will be available to rent at the park. They have only a limited supply. Rent offsite if its an absolute must to have to be mobile.
I did not see nearly as many scooters though on my trip during Thanksgiving week. I wonder if due to the limited capacity and COVID keeping more older guests from wanting to visit if they more available scooters at the parks.

Club Cooloholic

I'm a 1973 Disney repeat visitor in my 50's now and former Infantry grunt, so I can still walk, even though I'm old and fat ;) I had hip replacement surgery in November. For a variety of reasons, I've made solo reservations at the Contemporary for January and intend to hit most of the parks during my short 3 night stay. I can already walk without a cane, but a cane makes it easier now, doubt I'll have it by mid-January. I'm also a big dude (6', 400lb) so I'm realistic that I'll likely not be strong enough handle 2.5 days of parks without some assistance, so I'm considering a scooter rental.

Tentative plan
Day 1 - arrive early, take the monorail from Contemporary to EPCOT while awaiting check-in, lunch somplace simple/cheap and then dinner reservations at the Biergarden at sunset, hit other attractions along the way, monorail back to Contemporary and assess fatigue and joint pain, if any.

Day 2 - early start at Hollywood Studios, lunch in Star Wars area and early dinner at the Derby and birthday dinner back at the Contemporary late at California Grill.

Day 3 - early start at the Magic Kingdom to hit all the traditionals (Mansion, Pirates, Tiki, etc). Knowing I might be gassed by then, I'm not making any reservations, play the day by ear. Might park hop over to Animal Kingdom too, not sure.

Day 4 - be at the transpo desk 3 hours before my flight, aka 1pm. Possibly shop a bit in the morning if transportation to/from the mega-store is feasible, else just rest up.

Just make sure you make those park reservations as soon as possible. Especially for Hollywood Studios. That one books first. If you have two days you are considering for it book it both now and you can always change it to another park later.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I did not see nearly as many scooters though on my trip during Thanksgiving week. I wonder if due to the limited capacity and COVID keeping more older guests from wanting to visit if they more available scooters at the parks.
Most likely. I know when we were there before the shutdown in March I overheard a CM tell a guest they would have to be placed on a waiting list as they had exhausted their supply.

Not in your question but keep in mind the EPCOT monorail is currently out of service. While Park to Park transportation is resuming in January, I’m not sure that will include the Monirail.

pkkurz

Tentative plan

I have done my last several trips on a scooter. I’m also a big guy too. I have my own scooter since my disability is permanent. I would recommend that you rent a scooter from an outside authorized scooter company. They will deliver directly to your resort. All Disney transportation is very accommodating to your use of a scooter and the CMs are very helpful. This way you don’t have to worry about availability in the parks.
BTW the monorail to Epcot is not running and is not expected to be in use until mid 2021.

Minnesota disney fan

We have rented the parks scooters many times, and never had a problem with getting another one at any park later in the day. I don't know if we were just lucky or not? It seems they had plenty, and these were during busy times.

killowatts

Original Poster
Not in your question but keep in mind the EPCOT monorail is currently out of service. While Park to Park transportation is resuming in January, I’m not sure that will include the Monirail.
yeah, found that out yesterday. I think it's because of Polynesian construction shutting down their station. To get to/from Epcot, you have to pass through Poly, so if they are down, EPCOT is off the grid as well. Bummer. Hope it's back by mid Jan, but I doubt it will be. Back to the busses...

killowatts

Original Poster
Most likely. I know when we were there before the shutdown in March I overheard a CM tell a guest they would have to be placed on a waiting list as they had exhausted their supply.
I'm using the external/approved company, Scooterbug. They drop off and pick up at the resort hotel for the duration of my trip, so I don't have to screw with each park's rental stations each day/night, and it's cheaper to boot. No-brainer-mode, activate...

Zipadeelady

Tentative plan

Have a great trip! It does sound like you have quite the busy schedule even for someone that hasn't had to deal with a major surgery. I hope you get to do it all.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
yeah, found that out yesterday. I think it's because of Polynesian construction shutting down their station. To get to/from Epcot, you have to pass through Poly, so if they are down, EPCOT is off the grid as well.
The Epcot line runs from the TTC to Epcot. It does not pass through the Poly station.

Currently the resort monorail and express monorails pass through the Poly station without stopping due to the construction.

The Epcot line has not yet reopened from the closure in March because park hopping is not available. It may or may not reopen when park hopping resumes in January.

Goofyernmost

We have rented the parks scooters many times, and never had a problem with getting another one at any park later in the day. I don't know if we were just lucky or not? It seems they had plenty, and these were during busy times.
The park scooters are ok, but they have to stay in the whatever park you get them from. You can go to other parks with the receipt but you have to lose a lot of time picking another one up. The ones on the outside are less expensive and are not as slow. They aren't about to set any land speed records but everyone that I ever got from Disney were very frustrating. A 90 year old with advance joint problems can move along quicker then Disney scooters. Classic case of over governing.

Daddyoh

Killowatts, I am in the same position you are. I am a DVC member so have visited the Kingdom several times and have the need for a scooter to enjoy myself with my family. I have tried many Scooter Companies but none have come close to the service I found with goldmobilityscooters.com. Trust me when I say this I guess you can go with the recommended Disney Companies but bottom line the renting from a private company is overall the most cost effectiveness and you will have it for the TOTAL length of your stay 24/7. I found with GOLD that they upkeep their equipment unlike some look as if they went through demolition derby. Good Luck ENJOY !

NickMaio

Tentative plan

Have an awesome trip.

Smiley/OCD

Rent from outside WDW...as others have said. you must leave the Disney ECV's at the park when you leave. Remember, it's a long walk to transportation (Monorails, buses, etc.) You'll appreciate the use of the ECV onto the buses. VERY IMPORTANT!!! If you've never used an ECV, before you take it into the parks, take some time at the resort before you board, and practice with the ECV...starting, stopping, steering, etc. That practice will make your trips into the parks MUCH LESS stressful. ALSO, (NO insult intended), but the more weight the ECV carries, the faster the battery drains...be sure to take the charging cord with you into the parks!! If you start running low, most CM's will let you plug in at rides/stores and restaurants to recharge. Don't forget to plug in EVERY NIGHT! I can only walk short distances, so I bought my own. Best 1200.00 I've ever spent. We just got back from the world last week and we had an AWESOME time! Have a great trip!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom