4 Walt Disney World Resorts to accept dogs

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I wonder if the individual hotels will start offering a walking service in the future.

I'm surprised hotels that allow pets don't already offer this. Many, including Disney, offer babysitting.

I honestly don't think we will see hotels overrun with dogs. Unless you drive, flying with a dog whose size requires being in a crate in the cargo hold isn't pleasant (or safe) for your pet. I can see mostly pets under 15 pounds. And if your pet become a nuisance, Disney will make you handle it.

21stamps

Aww, what a cutie

I'm just imagining watching people freak out in fear over a Maltese, Yorkie, Pom, or long haired Chihuahua..lol.

I'm surprised hotels that allow pets don't already offer this. Many, including Disney, offer babysitting.

I honestly don't think we will see hotels overrun with dogs. Unless you drive, flying with a dog whose size requires being in a crate in the cargo hold isn't pleasant (or safe) for your pet. I can see mostly pets under 15 pounds. And if your pet become a nuisance, Disney will make you handle it.

Exactly!

Why only YC?

Because their rooms are in an interior corridor.

Bronson55

Details posted today say dogs using resort transportation must be in a carrier so that would eliminate large dogs. Secondly, the rules state non service dogs are not allowed in theme parks nor Disney Springs. So, where would someone be taking their dogs using resort transportation ? I'm sure I'm missing something.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Details posted today say dogs using resort transportation must be in a carrier so that would eliminate large dogs. Secondly, the rules state non service dogs are not allowed in theme parks nor Disney Springs. So, where would someone be taking their dogs using resort transportation ? I'm sure I'm missing something.
They can use internal resort busses

njDizFan

It all relates back to supply and demand.

If there is a demand for people wanting to bring their dog, Disney will supply the accomadations. Much like if there is a demand for people wanting vegan/vegetarian/gluten free options, Disney will supply it. Otherwise they will lose the almighty dollar to guests spending it somewhere else.
I agree, this was about bringing in more revenue. Allowing more accommodations, will bring in more potential customers and more dollars. But the false equivalence is evident because you are not going to impact someone else's enjoyment by adding another dish on a menu. Personally I think there are many down sides to animals in a resort.

Last edited:

GailY

Not happy - just bad idea all around. I've stayed next door to the "crying" baby room. That was unfortunate. As a dog owner, there is almost a 100 % chance a dog does bark. They just do, the hall noise, the vacuum being used in the room next door, a door slam, lonely etc.

Incomudro

If it works smoothly in many other locations, why be so quick to dismiss Disney's housekeeping abilities? Like I said, this is a very common amenity in the industry and while I'm sure there are some isolated incidents (as there are with housekeeping anyway) I've never heard such concern over a resort not being able to handle their own pet-friendly rooms.
Dogs don't belong in hotels.
Hotels are for humans.
And Disney is a vacation destination where people are generally out of their rooms - where the dogs will be left alone - for many hours at a time.
My family had three dogs over the course of my childhood.
One German Shepherd, and two Puli's back to back.
I love dogs, and constantly debate getting one. Ultimately, we don't have one because my wife and I work 9-5 plus commuting schedules and we don't think that'd be fare to the dog.

21stamps

Can't follow your logic. Are the corridors too small for bigger dogs ?

No. A lot of hotels have weight limits.
Some don't. I think it's good for small dogs.. eliminates the chance of walking in a hallway in a place that has a ton of kids..kids will probably approach the dog and then have parents of the kids freaking out. Then said parents will probably demand anytime FPs or a full refund because the dog sniffed the kid, but was really "going to attack my poor angel!!"

Based on past online comments and this thread.. I wouldn't be surprised at that drama.

prfctlyximprct

I agree, this was about brining in more revenue. Allowing more accommodations, will bring in more potential customers and more dollars. But the false equivalence is evident because you are not going to impact someone else's enjoyment by adding another dish on a menu. Personally I think there are many down sides to animals in a resort.
It’s on that guest to chose to stay at a pet friendly resort. If you don’t want to be impacted you have 21 other on property resorts to stay at. Much like if you don’t want to eat a certain food option, you can choose to eat elsewhere/ order something else. Disney is a business. They are only catering to what is demanded.

Yay! I have been hoping for a long time that they would do this. Our elderly rescue chihuahua always travels with us (we only drive) when my husband comes along; those two are joined at the hip. Boarding the dog is not an option for us so we always rent a vacation house when he comes along. Having an option to stay on-site if we want to is wonderful.

AndrewsJ

This is quite possibly the worst idea Disney has ever had. Entirely too many dog owners are irresponsible and lack understanding why people have a fear of dogs. No one should have to worry about this while on vacation. There are so many dog owners say "oh they don't bite". Guess what...I don't give a **** what u say.....I still will have some fear dependent upon the dog. Many dog owners don't have that understanding and are ignorant about others feelings. Not all...but too many.

Yes, there are dogs that are better behaved than some children but I don't walk past a little brat of a child with any fear. No concern about being bitten or anything else nor do I have to worry about barking too.

The other part of this in my opinion is the money Disney may make, they will lose when there is a biting issue lawsuit or someone slipped and fell while stepping in dog ....y'all know it's going to happen. Not to mention all the extra accommodations to give guests who will complain if someone's dog keeps them awake or tries to bite them or anything resulting from a "dog issue". People will want things for their inconvenience whether it's warranted or not....we know how some people are.
Please read posting guidelines about curse words. Not allowed here even if the letters are replaced with symbols. This is a family friendly forum.

21stamps

Dogs don't belong in hotels.
Hotels are for humans.
And Disney is a vacation destination where people are generally out of their rooms - where the dogs will be left alone - for many hours at a time.
My family had three dogs over the course of my childhood.
One German Shepherd, and two Puli's back to back.
I love dogs, and constantly debate getting one. Ultimately, we don't have one because my wife and I work 9-5 plus commuting schedules and we don't think that'd be fare to the dog.

Homes are for humans too. Dogs are family.
I have 0 desire to bring my dog to Disney World.. but there's other vacations that he goes on. If someone else wants to bring their dog to Disney.. good for them.

(Side note on your schedule if you do want a dog- Day Care! My previous one actually picked the dogs up on an adorable little bus. So convenient, and he loved it!)

Yay! I have been hoping for a long time that they would do this. Our elderly rescue chihuahua always travels with us (we only drive) when my husband comes along; those two are joined at the hip. Boarding the dog is not an option for us so we always rent a vacation house when he comes along. Having an option to stay on-site if we want to is wonderful.

Awesome! :)

monykalyn

Dogs allowed everywhere may now be the trend or norm but it doesn't mean it's a good thing. As the hotel industry insiders have said -having animals in rooms creates tons of problems that those who insist on going everywhere with their pet won't acknowledge. Most owners probably are very responsible but rules are there for those who aren't as considerate (but no one ever believes it's THEM that are the inconsiderate ones)
As long as guests follow the rules, I don't have a problem
Newer local farmers market opened with a very open pet policy, dogs just had to be behaved and on a leash. Within a year that rule changed to the dog must have gone through a behavior training class and pass a test (with payment of required fee). The dog then got a special bandanna to wear at the market and any dog without that bandanna not allowed. Why did this change take place? Because so many owners DO NOT KNOW the behavior of their "furry family" members!
I wouldn't mind the dog policy if something like this was implemented. Want to bring your dog? Then you have to demonstrate you can handle the animal and that the pet has been trained (which means the owner has been trained).
Personally I also think it's ridiculous that service animals owners aren't required to show paperwork. A true service animal has that anyway.

spacemt354

Chili's
Can't follow your logic. Are the corridors too small for bigger dogs ?
Only when he wants to play fetch :p
dog-with-big-stick-bridge-video.jpg

21stamps

Dogs allowed everywhere may now be the trend or norm but it doesn't mean it's a good thing. As the hotel industry insiders have said -having animals in rooms creates tons of problems that those who insist on going everywhere with their pet won't acknowledge. Most owners probably are very responsible but rules are there for those who aren't as considerate (but no one ever believes it's THEM that are the inconsiderate ones)

Newer local farmers market opened with a very open pet policy, dogs just had to be behaved and on a leash. Within a year that rule changed to the dog must have gone through a behavior training class and pass a test (with payment of required fee). The dog then got a special bandanna to wear at the market and any dog without that bandanna not allowed. Why did this change take place? Because so many owners DO NOT KNOW the behavior of their "furry family" members!
I wouldn't mind the dog policy if something like this was implemented. Want to bring your dog? Then you have to demonstrate you can handle the animal and that the pet has been trained (which means the owner has been trained).
Personally I also think it's ridiculous that service animals owners aren't required to show paperwork. A true service animal has that anyway.

I've always lived in dog friendly areas.. the last city I lived in was more dog friendly than where I'm at now.. but dogs are still allowed at many places here. (Example- I would never take my dog to an indoor mall where I live now, but he always came with me where I used to live). Outdoor areas are still similar.

Starbucks and many outdoor restaurants keep dog bowls and treats.. dogs are commonly seen at outdoor shopping areas.. Do people here just avoid all of these places?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom