4 Days at the parks

ELG13

OK don't judge..we aren't going until October 2017 ( Monday Oct 2- Sat Oct 7) but ill be starting back to school to finish my grad degree this Aug- May 2017 so I'm trying to get some general planning out of the way now so I don't have to worry about it again until after I graduate. Ill have to make dining reservations before school is done so the more I can plan now the better. There will be 3 adults and 2, possibly 3 kids (if my too cool for Disney 14 yr old step daughter decides to go lol ;) ). We are staying at ft wilderness in the cabins for 5 nights. The kids will be 6 and 3 yrs old. This is the longest trip we will have done to date so the idea of this many options is overwhelming so I need some help. We will be on the Disney dining plan (1 counter, 1 table, and 2 snacks (its changing in 2017 apparently). We will be driving about 6.5 hrs to the park.

The day we arrive I thought we could hang out at the resort since there is TONS to do there. I cant decide if we should do one of the dinner options there or if kicking it off at chef mickeys would be good? We want to do an early 8 am breakfast at MK the first morning so we don't want that first night to be too long. This is probably the most important reservation for me. Usually when we go DH isn't in any rush to get up and go but this time I really want to get there early one day. We always did when I was younger and thats what all of my memories of Disneyworld are...when main street isn't crowded and you can smell all the wonderful smells!!!! last time we went we got there at ike 10 am(we did MNSSHP the night before until midnight and DD needed to sleep...there was a prade and TONS of people crowding main street so i was a little bummed )
ANYWAYS..... I was between cinderellas royal table ( I know its 2 table service credits but we think the experience is something daughter would like and we figure its on of those things you have to do lol). and Be our guest which I know is not a chratcher meal. Crystal palace i know is an option but Winnie the pooh isn't a show my kids have ever watched. DD knows the characters but she would like the princesses more. Son(who will be 3) go with th flow so it doesnt make a difference.The idea is to start early in the park. We also want our last day to be MK.

We want to do MNSSHP. We did it last year and loved it. We cant decide if we should do EPCOT or AK the day we to MNSSHP. I know the food and wine fest will be going on. My SIL is a big Disney world person and she said we should skip HS since theres not much there. IS AK at night really awesome?

A few places we know we want to eat is chef mickeys and Ohana for dinner. We also really liked 1900 park faire for breakfast when we went several years ago. Since we are in the cabin we have he option of cooking so usig table service credits isn't scary to me. I'm not trying to make our credits stretch every night.

My mom is going as a kind of helper for our son since he will be younger. IF he gets tired and needs to go bac to the room my mom has already said she would do it since she may be in need of a dip in the pool or a nap as well.

I know that I need to have a few options for dinner since reservations go quick. Usually our trips are 3 nights or less so I'm not used to having options!!! Any other tips for the other parks is appreciated. We have been several times but we have always just stuck to MK since they are short trips. Sorry for the long post but TIA!!!!!

TXDisney

I recommend going to the park that arrival day. Being that you're at FW you're close to MK. If you're already getting a 4 day pass, a 5 day isn't that much more. Might be able to ride some rides in the evening and watch the fireworks. At your kids age is recommend doing MK arrival day and another day.

Upvote 0

ELG13

Original Poster
We may not get in until 3pm...last time we did mnsshp the arrival day but, going off of this year's schedule, they may not have that on a Monday night. I feel like that might be a waste of a ticket if we can't get to the park until close to 5 pm. We should be able to see the fireworks from the beach though...

Upvote 0

bigorangeandy

I also would at least think about heading over to MK. Going from FW it's a nice boat ride over to the park and would be a nice way to spend the first night. The cost of adding an extra day to your tickets would be about $15 or so to each ticket.
I've not been to AK since the new night time shows started, but I would pick that over Epcot for the park before MNSSHP. Good luck on your ADR's and good luck on finishing grad school.

Upvote 0

ELG13

Original Poster
Wow interesting that it's so cheap...and I'm excited to see that it is that close to the park!! Let me ask yall this...do you find its better to the mnsshp on a day that you aren't in the park or is it fun to make it one big long day??? I was a little confused looking at dates (and again, I know it's hard to know what next year will be like just by looking at this year) but our first whhole day at mk will be a Tuesday and they are offering the party on Tuesday nights so now I'm wondering should we do that on Tuesday with lower crowds or split a day at one park and go back for the party.
Also, @bigorangeandy are you saying we will probably spend more time at epcot and less at animal kingdom? Is that why you suggested splitting the ak day with the nsshp?
Sorry if I'm asking ridiculous questions.. I'm just trying to maximize the fun lol!!

Upvote 0

RMichael21

Usually Magic Kingdom will be packed on MMSSHP nights, so I'd pick another park, go back to the cabin for a few hours before the party to rest and get into any costumes you may have and then go over to MK.

As a half day at MK, I'd highly recommend it. MK will most likely be open late, so you'll be able to stay longer into the night than if you'd rope dropped, considering you have kids with you where it's nearly impossible to go open to close.

As for which park to do on your party day, it's really super subjective. Will your 6 year old be tall enough to ride Dinosaur or Everest? Especially with Avatar and Rivers of Light, it'll be cool to check out after dark.

Will you have one whole MK day plus your party day? Then, I'd suggest checking out whatever park you miss at night because of the Halloween party. Even if you don't get to the park by 5/6 pm, there won't be added pressure because you know you'll be back later in your trip!

Upvote 0

ELG13

Original Poster
Thanks for the help yall!! I don't think the oldest will be tall enough for the big rides hut she's not too into the big rides. She still talks about how much she's didn't like splash mountain lol!!! So here's what we have *very tentatively* planned:
Day 1 arrive - magic kingdom
Day 2 - early breakfast in mk
Dinner at ohana (the park will probably be closing early for the party and as suggested by @RMichael21 , we didn't think the kids would be able to pull such a long day so an earlier dinner at ohana is a good alternative to me !!)
Day 3- Epcot
Dinner somewhere here...I was thinking of the teppan edo place in japan. The kids love hibachi and I heard it was a good way to spend meal credits.
Day 4 - animal kingdom
Cabin to cook for dinner and get ready for mnsshp
Day 5 - mk
Dinner at chef mickeys (another early close due to the party so another good reason for an early dinner I figure)
What do yall think

Upvote 0

ELG13

Original Poster
I should also mention that I'm not 100 sold on epcot or ak so if yall think we should swap one of those for another mk day..the only thing I'm interested in at epcot is food and wine that will be going on and the new frozen ride. Since the our dinners arent in the park I know that gives us a little room to hang our minds at the time...like if daughter would rather go to mk again than the zoo (that's what she calls ak) we can just do that again.

Upvote 0

ELG13

Original Poster
Oh good!!! I've read reviews on a ton of places in epcot so it was hard to decide but I thought that would be the best fit for us. I'm ex cited about epcot but worried about the kids enjoying it. I just want to food lol. I told the husband that we need to save snack credits for when we go! I can wait to try the brioche ice cream sandwich!!!

Upvote 0

wdwfan4ver

You can't get a completely accurate feedback on AK for nighttime due to Avatarland isn't open yet and Rivers of Light isn't ready yet.

You need to ignore the opinions of the Jungle Book Nighttime show because it should be gone by October of 2017. The Junglebook show was some thing that Disney had to create basically a month or 2 before AK get longer hours due Rivers of Light having some issues that need to be fixed.

Based on what I read, Avatarland was designed to look great at night. The catch is that new land is supposed to open sometime next year.

Upvote 0

ELG13

Original Poster
Good to know @wdwfan4ver ....based on what you know about epcot and ak at night now, which do you think is the best for small children at night? Just trying to decide which on should be our half day so we can do mnsshp at night. I know things will change when everything f at ak is up and running. I'm just trying to gauge those two parks since I've never been to ak and only have been to epcot as a teen.

Upvote 0

RMichael21

Good to know @wdwfan4ver ....based on what you know about epcot and ak at night now, which do you think is the best for small children at night? Just trying to decide which on should be our half day so we can do mnsshp at night. I know things will change when everything f at ak is up and running. I'm just trying to gauge those two parks since I've never been to ak and only have been to epcot as a teen.
At night, I'd say Epcot, considering most of AK's rides are thrilling and have height restrictions (Dinosaur, Everest, Flight of Passage and Kali), the animal trails/exhibits close before dark and the shows all have final performances bt late afternoon early evening (Festival of the Lion King and Finding Nemo: The Musical). The only attractions for them would most likely be Kilimanjaro Safaris (hard to see everything at night) and Na'vi River Journey.

Upvote 0

ELG13

Original Poster
Awesome! I'll keep on eye on reviews once all the new stuff comes out and then I can make another decision then.

Upvote 0

wdwfan4ver

I would lean towards Epcot at this point despite never going to Epcot during the Food and Festival.

The reason I lean towards Epcot is because I don't an idea how Rivers of Life is going to turn out at this point for AK and what AK offers at night for attractions in terms of the 4 and the 6 year old. While the Nighttime Safari has th

While Epcot might be starting to get things ready for upcoming changes in 2017, Epcot has enough for the 4 and 6 year old at night besides watching Illuminations: Reflections of Earth.

Upvote 0

ELG13

Original Poster
So next quesion I have is how do yall recommend I go about getting the dining reservations? I thought the agent in spoke with said I can do one day at a time starting at 6am (so 5am my time) or I can book for my whole stay over the phone starting at 7 am (6am my time). The first day we get there we are just doing quick service or cooking. These are the reservations we want on the days I would like to get them.
Arrival day -no reservations
Day 2- royal table or be our guest breakfast at 8 or 830. 1900 park fair is our 3rd pick for breakfast. We also would like ohana for dinner this night.
Day 3- dinner at teppan edo
Day 4- no reservations(quick service and cooing at cabin before mnsshp)
Day 5- chef mickeys for dinner.

Upvote 0

Tuvalu

Premium Member
So next quesion I have is how do yall recommend I go about getting the dining reservations? I thought the agent in spoke with said I can do one day at a time starting at 6am (so 5am my time) or I can book for my whole stay over the phone starting at 7 am (6am my time).
Your agent is incorrect. Disney resort guests can book all of their dining reservations (up to 10 days worth) at 180 days, either online beginning at 6 a.m. or on the phone beginning at 7 a.m.

Upvote 0

ELG13

Original Poster
I knew about the 180 days but I can book the full stay online?? I already have an alarm set for that day lol!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom