35min layover in ATL

cw1982

hahaha.. I know are you from Atlanta? Y'all had the winter traffic jam from I don't know what this year!!

Yep. I was stuck in that. It was awful!

I had finally gotten a job after being unemployed for the first half of the school year. I had literally worked five days at Mt current school when the snow hit us. I work in one of the districts that had kids stranded overnight. My boss ushered me out the door at 4 pm, probably because I was new and she knew I didn't know the kids well enough to be comfortable with them overnight, and it took me two hours to go one mile from the school to the interstate, then another hour to get home from there (17 miles away).

I have neighbors who were just a mile or two behind me on the highway who took five hours more to get home. I was one of the lucky ones!

jlsHouston

Yep. I was stuck in that. It was awful!

I had finally gotten a job after being unemployed for the first half of the school year. I had literally worked five days at Mt current school when the snow hit us. I work in one of the districts that had kids stranded overnight. My boss ushered me out the door at 4 pm, probably because I was new and she knew I didn't know the kids well enough to be comfortable with them overnight, and it took me two hours to go one mile from the school to the interstate, then another hour to get home from there (17 miles away).

I have neighbors who were just a mile or two behind me on the highway who took five hours more to get home. I was one of the lucky ones!

You poor thing. When I was looking at those webcams all I could think of was the mass exodus when Rita was approaching. Those were our freeways. I felt all y'all's pain.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Yikes! If it were any other airport (even Ohare) I would say yes. But ATL is huge. Unlike Ohare - you need to take the train or be a quick walker to get from one terminal to the next. And ATL is set up where one airline may occupy 2 different terminals which requires a train ride. This is not to say its impossible - I have flown out of Illinois to ATL with a connection (40 mins) and have just made it. But ATL has many factors that can work against you: if the clouds are too low the plane will not land; and your next flight may board and sit on the runway. I have sat on ATL runway for an hour. And do not get me started on the line for takeoff - that is another 20 to 30 minutes.

Our closest Airport is Ohare and I've started going to Midway to fly to MCO cause Ohare is a nightmare. ATL transfers are the worst. My DH did a Hilton Head Golf Buddy weekend and transferred in ATL. His clubs made it (his third child) to Ohare, his suitcase didn't. They did deliver it the next day to the door. If it was his clubs he would have been up all night pacing.

PolynesianPrincess

It really all depends which terminal you fly into and which one you fly out of. If you have a delay on the first flight, typically the airline will hold the next flight if they know they have passangers transferring to the flight that is leaving. Chances are you won't be the only one from that flight to board the one leaving. This happened to us last weekend in Baltimore. We sat on the tarmac about 20 minutes after landing and some people had to make connections. The flight attendants told them the flights were aware they were there and just couldn't get to a gate and would hold the plane. We got off the plane, hustled to our gate and got there just as they were beginning A boarding, which was us.

disney4life2008

Our closest Airport is Ohare and I've started going to Midway to fly to MCO cause Ohare is a nightmare. ATL transfers are the worst. My DH did a Hilton Head Golf Buddy weekend and transferred in ATL. His clubs made it (his third child) to Ohare, his suitcase didn't. They did deliver it the next day to the door. If it was his clubs he would have been up all night pacing.

I fly out of Ohare for work and a nightmare is only the beginning. I will get ATL credit - their airport is astheticly pleasing to the eye with lots to do. But Ohare - there is nothing to do at all. And I fly regional jets into Ohare which is a entire terminal on its own. Then have to run to the main gate - even with an hour - I always cut it close.

donsullivan

Premium Member
A couple of tips as someone who goes through Atlanta dozens of times a year headed back home to Orlando.

1) 35 minutes is considered a valid connection for Delta in Atlanta but you'll want to get your seats on the first leg as far forward in the plane as you possible can so you can get off quickly. They will commonly note that some have tight connections and ask others to wait but the reality is, nearly everyone has a tight connection in Atlanta and stampedes at once. I say this because since Delta considers this a valid connection interval, they are less likely to be willing to change it for you without a fee.

2) Travel light onboard to make sure all of your carry-on luggage fits under the seat in front of you. With that tight of a connection, it is highly likely that the overhead bins will be full by the time you arrive since boarding will likely be all but finished. Traveling light will also help you move through airport quickly if your connection requires jumping terminals.

3) Have the Delta app on your smartphone if you have one. It will allow you to see where your connecting flight is departing the moment you land instead of waiting to get off the plane and look at the board. It's never 100% trustworthy but it can give you a hint that maybe you are lucky and do not need to change terminal buildings for your Orlando bound flight.

4) If you've never been through Atlanta, take some time to get familiar with the basic layout. You can find a terminal map on the Delta website and in the magazine in the seat back. It can be overwhelming but it's actually a really efficient design and pretty easy to understand.

Gabe1

I fly out of Ohare for work and a nightmare is only the beginning. I will get ATL credit - their airport is astheticly pleasing to the eye with lots to do. But Ohare - there is nothing to do at all. And I fly regional jets into Ohare which is a entire terminal on its own. Then have to run to the main gate - even with an hour - I always cut it close.
O'Hare was always like that. I Worked special assistance years ago for a major airline. People would get so angry when is start to rebook them and their flight was still boarding. I knew how Long it took me to get from one terminal to the next. O'Hare and midway have awful WiFi And you have to pay for it after 30 minutes. O'Hare was not built for security. It had lovely areas years ago up front that are now gone. More is back by the gates then there ever was though.

What most O'Hare travelers Do not know is there is an underground pass through to the hotel on property. There is lots of stuff in that area and also in the hotel. If you have a long layover or delay worth checking out.

disney4life2008

What most O'Hare travelers Do not know is there is an underground pass through to the hotel on property. There is lots of stuff in that area and also in the hotel. If you have a long layover or delay worth checking out.

I had no idea and I am a Chicago native. I remember when I was a child going to ohare was like the grandaddy of all airports. Back before 9/11 and enforced security - I vagely remember going to Ohare for lunch or dinner and watching the airplanes take off. I also remember a light show along the people mover (I think)? Ohare used tob e amazing but now its just another airport.

Gabe1

I had no idea and I am a Chicago native. I remember when I was a child going to ohare was like the grandaddy of all airports. Back before 9/11 and enforced security - I vagely remember going to Ohare for lunch or dinner and watching the airplanes take off. I also remember a light show along the people mover (I think)? Ohare used tob e amazing but now its just another airport.

Yeah, I had to bring passengers over to the hotel that required special services to hotel when their flights were cancelled or they missed them. I also had the unfortunate privilege of having to stay in hotel rooms with unaccompanied minors who got stranded at Ohare mid leg of their trip. A practice that I believe they stopped for obvious reasons so I got to know the area real well. I one year spent 4 nights in the hotel with children and then schlepped them back to the terminal by day. Blizzards are not fun at Ohare.

There was for a long time an observation deck up on the roof that anyone could visit. It was amazing as a kid to look at that. Others didn't want to pay for parking and parking on Irving Park Road, that area was packed in my childhood. That all stopped after 9/11. The terminals are dated but Terminal One where United's terminal is really pretty, it was built not that long ago on the old international terminals plot which also was rebuilt. There was one real nice restaurant close to the old TWA terminal with a nice bar area, it was expensive but it had nice views. Below that in the basement was the employees cafeteria.

disney4life2008

Yeah, I had to bring passengers over to the hotel that required special services to hotel when their flights were cancelled or they missed them. I also had the unfortunate privilege of having to stay in hotel rooms with unaccompanied minors who got stranded at Ohare mid leg of their trip. A practice that I believe they stopped for obvious reasons so I got to know the area real well. I one year spent 4 nights in the hotel with children and then schlepped them back to the terminal by day. Blizzards are not fun at Ohare.

There was for a long time an observation deck up on the roof that anyone could visit. It was amazing as a kid to look at that. Others didn't want to pay for parking and parking on Irving Park Road, that area was packed in my childhood. That all stopped after 9/11. The terminals are dated but Terminal One where United's terminal is really pretty, it was built not that long ago on the old international terminals plot which also was rebuilt. There was one real nice restaurant close to the old TWA terminal with a nice bar area, it was expensive but it had nice views. Below that in the basement was the employees cafeteria.

This brought back a lot of memories. Was there ever a light show and people mover in ohare? i may be confusing it with another airport

Gabe1

This brought back a lot of memories. Was there ever a light show and people mover in ohare? i may be confusing it with another airport

I wonder if you are talking indoors? Could it be the Walkway in the New Terminal? The part that connects the ticket counter over to the actual gate area?
2286736487_b97117e9d7_z.jpg

th
th

Some of Ohare deserves the stinky reviews, other areas are pretty cool.

The people mover system isn't as good of a system to transport passengers as there is at other airports. It just doesn't retro fit well and by the time you get to it ride it and get off well you could actually walk quicker. It did though solve the problem of parking and the remote lots. Ohare actually sits in the suburbs and does not touch Chicago at all. The Airport was handed over to Chicago as no other suburb could afford the municipality expenses.

ohare.jpg

If anyone gets stuck at Ohare for a real long layover or overnighted 'cause your flight was cancelled there is a mall in Rosemont IL. It is to the East of Ohare. There is a shuttle that you can hop from Ohare to the Outlet Mall and back again for a nominal fee. Nicest Outlet Mall I've ever seen. Nicer than most malls I've ever seen, top shelve materials built this mall. Upstairs there are the best of the best designer outlets and the first level is filled with everyday people outlet stores, Under Armour, Nike, Disney Store etc.
B6183DB9C7D255BC37282F9596C1960C.jpg

One of two wings. Two very good restaurants at one end and a food court.
iEcBFxCMoW5k.jpg

At every entrance from the parking lot there is some different type of artwork. This is my favorite because I pretend I'm in The Land. lol.

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

If you have to spend the night I highly recommend that you stay at any of the hotels that directly surround the Outlet Mall and Theater. It is an amazing area. Puts DTD to shame.

AliBite

Original Poster
[QUOTEw
A couple of tips as someone who goes through Atlanta dozens of times a year headed back home to Orlando.

1) 35 minutes is considered a valid connection for Delta in Atlanta but you'll want to get your seats on the first leg as far forward in the plane as you possible can so you can get off quickly. They will commonly note that some have tight connections and ask others to wait but the reality is, nearly everyone has a tight connection in Atlanta and stampedes at once. I say this because since Delta considers this a valid connection interval, they are less likely to be willing to change it for you without a fee.

2) Travel light onboard to make sure all of your carry-on luggage fits under the seat in front of you. With that tight of a connection, it is highly likely that the overhead bins will be full by the time you arrive since boarding will likely be all but finished. Traveling light will also help you move through airport quickly if your connection requires jumping terminals.

3) Have the Delta app on your smartphone if you have one. It will allow you to see where your connecting flight is departing the moment you land instead of waiting to get off the plane and look at the board. It's never 100% trustworthy but it can give you a hint that maybe you are lucky and do not need to change terminal buildings for your Orlando bound flight.

4) If you've never been through Atlanta, take some time to get familiar with the basic layout. You can find a terminal map on the Delta website and in the magazine in the seat back. It can be overwhelming but it's actually a really efficient design and pretty easy to understand.

nsullivan, post: 6083487, member: 1626"]A couple of tips as someone who goes through Atlanta dozens of times a year headed back home to Orlando.

4) If you've never been through Atlanta, take some time to get familiar with the basic layout. You can find a terminal map on the Delta website and in the magazine in the seat back. It can be overwhelming but it's actually a really efficient design and pretty easy to understand.[/QUOTE]
Since were flying first class and delta has the 'first on first off' thing that shouldn't be an issue right? Im thinking ill call delta, but pretty much plan on running through the airport to make the connection lol

disney4life2008

I wonder if you are talking indoors? Could it be the Walkway in the New Terminal? The part that connects the ticket counter over to the actual gate area?
2286736487_b97117e9d7_z.jpg

th
th

Some of Ohare deserves the stinky reviews, other areas are pretty cool.

The people mover system isn't as good of a system to transport passengers as there is at other airports. It just doesn't retro fit well and by the time you get to it ride it and get off well you could actually walk quicker. It did though solve the problem of parking and the remote lots. Ohare actually sits in the suburbs and does not touch Chicago at all. The Airport was handed over to Chicago as no other suburb could afford the municipality expenses.

ohare.jpg

If anyone gets stuck at Ohare for a real long layover or overnighted 'cause your flight was cancelled there is a mall in Rosemont IL. It is to the East of Ohare. There is a shuttle that you can hop from Ohare to the Outlet Mall and back again for a nominal fee. Nicest Outlet Mall I've ever seen. Nicer than most malls I've ever seen, top shelve materials built this mall. Upstairs there are the best of the best designer outlets and the first level is filled with everyday people outlet stores, Under Armour, Nike, Disney Store etc.
B6183DB9C7D255BC37282F9596C1960C.jpg

One of two wings. Two very good restaurants at one end and a food court.
iEcBFxCMoW5k.jpg

At every entrance from the parking lot there is some different type of artwork. This is my favorite because I pretend I'm in The Land. lol.

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

If you have to spend the night I highly recommend that you stay at any of the hotels that directly surround the Outlet Mall and Theater. It is an amazing area. Puts DTD to shame.

You should create a website just about ohare and chicago. wow - you have made me want to go home for the weekend just to drive around ohare. i have heard alot about the fashion outlets but never have been. i will add that to my list this summer: as well as giardanos, maxwells, and garrets.

BostonJP

Since were flying first class and delta has the 'first on first off' thing that shouldn't be an issue right? Im thinking ill call delta, but pretty much plan on running through the airport to make the connection lol
I'm not very experienced with ATL but I do fly a few times a year and I'm not certain that calling them will do any good. Keep in mind that you have the same chances of your flight out getting delayed as your flight in. Also, your concern is very common amongst travelers at that airport, which means two things - the airport is pretty efficient and easy to get around (considering its size), and the airline employees tend to work with the customers to avoid being screamed at.

I flew into O'Hare a few years ago and had to switch terminals, which means going through security again. By the time I got to security my flight was already boarding, and the staff was extremely helpful in rushing me through there quickly and getting me to my plane.

PhilharMagician

We have transferred in Atlanta with a 25 minute layover and made it. Most times we have transferred it has been on the same concourse. The one time we had the 25 minute layover we had to go from Concourse A to Concourse E which if you have been to Atlanta Hartsfield you know that it is a long distance. There is a tram that connects all of the concourses, but it was faster for us to haul a$$ on foot. I believe Delta Airlines use Concourses "A", "C" and "E".

MrDee

Airlines won't always hold a flight even for someone they know will be there soon. A lot of this is dictated by pilot discretion, the weather, flight loads, the gate agents, etc.... 30 minutes is the general minimal required amount of time an airline must give a connecting passenger. Sometimes this amount of time is more than adequate, sometimes it is not. Also, doors of the aircraft typically close 10 minutes prior to the scheduled departure. That is the goal anyway.

If you call to adjust your reservation, you may and probably will, be charged fees for doing so. If you and your baggage become separated, the airline should ship it to you, but you will have the option of picking it up yourself if you prefer.

Try to know which gates you need beforehand, but keep in mind those could change numerous times between now and when you leave. Especially in Atlanta. There are a lot of websites out there that allow you to track flights/gates/etc.... the one I prefer is called Flightview. You could start watching your flight numbers now daily to get a good idea of what gates they typically use. None of that is set in stone, though. Things change constantly, with weather being the biggest culprit.

Hope this helps, and that you have a great time.

AliBite

Original Poster
Hey guys, we got back a couple weeks ago and just wanted to update if anyone else was looking for answers.

Our flight came into ATL about ten minutes late, but we were able to speed walk and get to the gate before the plane started to board first class. A little hectic, but not too horrible- in my limited experience- very do-able. And I didn't have any issue with my luggage, everything got home safe and sound! Oh and I believe we landed at gate A and our flight took off from gate D.

RubyLee

Rule number 10, never fly through Atlanta. Either start or finish there, but no layover or change of planes. And only drive through it at night, and never during inclement weather.
Amen! I travel through Atlanta all the time for work (downside of living in a town that only flies to a few airports)...I avoid it if I can-and if I can't, always get the layover with the most "fluff" time!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom