35min layover in ATL

AliBite

Original Poster
I just looked at our flight details again and it looks like on our way home we only have a 35 minute layover in ATL, I've heard horror stories about how large/busy ATL is.

Can we make the transfer? It's just two adults, but we also have checked bags, will they make it on the plane?

And if we miss our transfer does Delta just put us on the next flight?

We live 4 hours away from the airport, if our baggage doesn't make it, will they ship it to us?

cw1982

Hartsfield Jackson is one of the busiest/biggest airports in the country. I'd say that's cutting things pretty close, and that's assuming your first flight is on schedule.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I just looked at our flight details again and it looks like on our way home we only have a 35 minute layover in ATL, I've heard horror stories about how large/busy ATL is.

Can we make the transfer? It's just two adults, but we also have checked bags, will they make it on the plane?

And if we miss our transfer does Delta just put us on the next flight?

We live 4 hours away from the airport, if our baggage doesn't make it, will they ship it to us?
I would call Delta......

disney4life2008

Yikes! If it were any other airport (even Ohare) I would say yes. But ATL is huge. Unlike Ohare - you need to take the train or be a quick walker to get from one terminal to the next. And ATL is set up where one airline may occupy 2 different terminals which requires a train ride. This is not to say its impossible - I have flown out of Illinois to ATL with a connection (40 mins) and have just made it. But ATL has many factors that can work against you: if the clouds are too low the plane will not land; and your next flight may board and sit on the runway. I have sat on ATL runway for an hour. And do not get me started on the line for takeoff - that is another 20 to 30 minutes.

AliBite

Original Poster
I've heard other people say they can look up historical info on what flight has gone/come to which concourse/gate, but I can't find it. Anyone know?

G00fyDad

I would say that 35 minutes is enough time, but if you are flying out soon then it may not be enough time. You may want to call the airline and reschedule flights. We fly through ATL every single time we go to WDW, and we always have a 25 to 30 minute layover. However, it is in October when we go. You'll need to get off your plane, take the tram to your terminal (very simple), and then go to your boarding gate. If you have shoulder to shoulder people then you might be cutting it close. When we go the airport is no busier than any other. Pretty easy to navigate, but the summer may be a bit crowded.

G00fyDad

We land in ATL at 7:50am on Sat. the 17th. I don't imagine it'd be terribly busy?

Just remember that some schools may be out for the summer already. It could be busy. But chances are that 35 minutes will be fine.

Atlanta is always busy.

No, its not always busy. When we go in October you could drive a bus down the terminal walkways without hitting anyone.

cw1982

Just remember that some schools may be out for the summer already. It could be busy. But chances are that 35 minutes will be fine.

No, its not always busy. When we go in October you could drive a bus down the terminal walkways without hitting anyone.

Just saying an airport isn't busy in October is a very flimsy statement at best. Depends on what time of day, day of the week, and other factors. It's true that there is generally less of a travel demand in October than there is in the summer, but 35 minutes is still not much time and Atlanta's airport is huge. If the flight is just ten minutes late, the OP may have a huge headache on their hands.

But whatever. I've given my opinion. Take it or leave it.

G00fyDad

Just saying an airport isn't busy in October is a very flimsy statement at best. Depends on what time of day, day of the week, and other factors. It's true that there is generally less of a travel demand in October than there is in the summer, but 35 minutes is still not much time and Atlanta's airport is huge. If the flight is just ten minutes late, the OP may have a huge headache on their hands.

But whatever. I've given my opinion. Take it or leave it.

I understand. Although the point is moot because the OP is not going in October, we have flown out of ATL many times throughout the month and on each different day of the week (for various reasons including kid's school). Still not busy.

G00fyDad

Thank you both, I appreciate any advice, I'm not a very experienced traveler :p

You'll be fine. Although, since you have not traveled much, you may want to take other's advice and have the airline extend your layover time a bit. Maybe see if they have a 45 minute layover. I think I may have given my advice on the idea that you have traveled before, just not through ATL.

AliBite

Original Poster
I've traveled before, and I believe through ATL, just not in a few years. And I've always had at least 45 min layovers.

ninjaprincesst

From personal experience in Atlanta I would say no, it is not near enough time. We had an hour layover and we had to run across the very big airport and we barely made it, boarding was starting when we got to the terminal.

Texas84

If you're on time and in the same terminal you're gold. They will hold your flight for a short while. If you're too late Delta will put you on the next flight and your luggage might get there first. Personally I wouldn't book a short layover at any major airport. But yes, call Delta or your travel agent and express your concern.

jlsHouston

Rule number 10, never fly through Atlanta. Either start or finish there, but no layover or change of planes. And only drive through it at night, and never during inclement weather.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom