3 yr old first trip.

CountryBear

I'll be taking my 3 yr old daughter(Almost 4) for her first trip to Disney. Any suggestions on things to do. We are having a character breakfast at the Crystal Palace, but what else should we make sure she does?

DisneyPhD

Wow, sounds like a great time. Be sure to take lots of pictures and video. We found autograph books are a good way to get them to aproach the charters. Unless your trip is 10 days keep in mind you won't be able to do it all (that among other reasons is why people like us keep going back.) Also one of those spining light toys helps to break the ice too and give them something to do at night. If you dont' use a stroller now, you might there. I read the average person walks 40 miles in a week at WDW, most 4 years olds can't do that.

If your daugher loves princess, (and who doesn't?) try to get her in at Cinderellas Royal Table for breakfest. (this can be tricky, we have not done it yet because of difficulty getting in.) If you can't, don't fret. 1900 park fare has a great dinner buffet at GF, the food is really good and Cindy, Prince Charming, FG and one mouse is there too. Also Epcot has a princess breakfest at Norway. While you don't always need PS for every meal, I recomend them for these, get them before you leave. CRT 60 days to the day when you leave, start calling at 7:00 am, they sell out before 7:10 I heard. We ate lunch at the castle one day. We didn't have PS, just asked around 11:30 to get it when it opened. We did and had a lovely meal, we even saw Cindy herself in the waiting area. DD was isn awe. Infact we felt this Cindy was much better then the one at dinner at 1900 park fare. She spent more time talking to DD.

We like the all you can eat dinner at Epcot the land pavlion (Garden Grill) Everytime we have ate there Mickey, Pluto and chip and dale have tons of time to spend with us. You won't need those PS until you get there, sometimes even walk up (or call a few hours before.)

If you DD needs to see Airel (ours always does.) The only place to do that is at Fansty Land, Areils grotto. Try to get there early to avoid lines, but it opens at different times, depending on the weather. Ariel doesn't come out if it is too chilly (those sea shells only offer so much protection from the cold.)

Make lots of time for swimming, just hanging out and enjoying the more quiet "free play" areas of the parks and resorts. (Tom sayer island, playgrounds ect...) Make sure you do at least one water park (if not both) they have some great stuff for young kids, but DD liked BB better. If your child doesn't mind being splashed in the face TL isn't bad. Start off slow on the rides, don't take her on Huntated mantion or Priates until you see how she does on other rides 1st. Once scared kids don't want to try new things. At MK hit FL 1st, make the rounds and then leave before it gets too busy (around 10:30.) Use fast pass. Don't try to wait in 45 min lines to see pooh with a 4 year old, that can really wear on everyones patience.

If you DD is old enough to skip naps, she might still need them there (especailly if you wake early to get to the parks before they are busy.) If not a nap, at least back to the resort for a swim and break really helps (if you are staying on prop.)

While MK is great for 4 year olds, espcailly FL, don't skip the other parks. Each one has some great things for young children. (even Epcot, besides the adults need to see Epcot.)

We took some friends last trip with us. They have a son the same age as our DD (at that time almost 3) I was feeling bad we didn't get everything in I wanted to (we were there a week), but as my friend said "We had a blast each day, everyday, what more could you ask for?" So if you don't get to everything, more fun and magic to be found next trip. (oh there will be a next trip, at 4 years old they are old enought to ask to go back, again and again and again. DD isn't yet 3 and asked daily to go back, our next trip isn't until she is almost 4 years old and her new little brother or sister will be 6 months old.

Good luck, have a blast!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

wdwmom2+1

HI i could give you lots of advice i've been going with my daughter (who's almost 5) since she was 1 and we are getting ready to take our second child (11 months) in may . so i have lots of advice ideas , either email me or Private message me if you want. Xalsyabethh@aol.com
cherie

Upvote 0

MKCP 1985

CountryBear, I do have one bit of advice that I think is very important for you to consider when you take your almost-4 year old daughter to the Magic Kingdom. This advice is specifically directed for the benefit of YOUNG GIRLS and will make her feel extra-special:

DisneyPhD mentioned having your daughter meet the princesses and told you where they can be found. I would add that Alice can often be found near her spinning teacups in Fantasyland, and here is my advice:

Have your daughter wear a special shirt with her name painted conspicuously on the front of it when you go to any of the parks, but especially the Magic Kingdom. Most characters don't speak, but all the princess characters do. Your daughter undoubtedly has seen Cinderella, Little Mermaid, Pocahontas, Snow White, Beauty and the Beast, Alice in Wonderland (and others I can't think of just now) and at her age feels she knows the characters and probably thinks they know her too (It is a little girl thing, I am told).

Make a point of having her go see any of the above-mentioned characters and see if they don't call her by name instead of asking her name. "Hello Madeline, it is so nice that you could come see me today." When the exchange is over, she'll look at you in wide wonder and say, "Mommy, she knew who I was! She remembered me!"

That happened between my daughter and Cinderella, probably 10 years ago, and in the 10 years since, I have shared that with anyone I knew who was taking a young girl to WDW, and in each instance, when they took that advice, they came back with the same report. The character looked at the little girl, called her by name and created a lasting, magical memory for the little girl.

Even if you don't get her the shirt, having her meet and speak with the princess characters while you snap loads of photos is a great, great idea.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Hi! We took our oldest just after she turned four & she had a great time. An autograph book with a thick pen is a must. Its a great game to see how many characters you can find. Take lots of pictures.(great for show & tell). My biggest advice is to let your daughter set the pace. There is nothing owrse than upset kids & parents because they tried to do too much or something that the child wasn't up to. Relax & have fun...isn't that what its all about?
:wave:

Upvote 0

Dwarful

We always take a spray bottle/fan, you canbuy them at the parks for about $16, or you can go to your local discount store and get them much cheaper, bring batteries, you'll need them. The kids love cooling off with them while your pushing them about the parks. IF you do get a Princess b'fast, we let our girls wear their princess outfits for the meal, the photo's are some of their favorites! On our last trip, our youngest was 2 1/2 and we had to sit through "Playhouse Disney" at MGM 3 times.

Upvote 0

CountryBear

Original Poster
Man , thanks for all the ideas that you guys are giving. It is nice to know that people share the same enthusiam dor Disney as I do. The best thing about it April 3rd , I'll be able to share it with my daughter and family. Man I can't wait. Thanks so much.:sohappy:

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

1) Collect character autographs (and have a photo taken at the same time)
2) Character Meals - Try Chef Mickeys, Liberty Tree Tavern or The Garden Grill (as well as Crystal Palace)
3) Take a stroller (collapsable) let your daughter walk as well as ride (she'll not get tired as quickly AND it will give her her own seat at the front waiting for the parades)
4) Remember to take a break during the day (return to your hotel pool or just have a nap)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom