3 Things I Miss Most About Disney "Past"

Fable McCloud

The Skyway

Characters walking the parks

The old names to places before the changes, eg: Dixie Landings

I wish I could just casually run into Mickey or Cinderella like they always showed in the commercials, but now it feels so fake having to wait for an hour to see them.

janoimagine

1. Twinkle lights in the hub around Cinderella Castle

3. The sight of Nautilus subs circling the 20K lagoon.

I really miss the trees those twinkle lights were in too .. :D

The 20K subs ... sigh ... they were so cool at night with the big green eyes ... what a loss.

Clamman73

Horizons

Journey and upstairs

20K, Wings, characters walking around MK and original Tomorrow land appearance

Mark IV monorails (liked the manual doors)

WendyWDW

Can't Go Home Again

Unfortunately, attractions like Horizons and 20,000 Leagues would probably seem pretty unsophisticated if they were brought back today in their original formats. The technology, while impressive at the time, would look fairly primative these days. It's possible that the fact people miss them has as much to do wanting to relive happy times in the past as it does with the attractions themselves.

That said, like so many others, I miss Horizons and JII with Dreamfinder and Figment. My kids (who are now adults) loved them.

janoimagine

Unfortunately, attractions like Horizons and 20,000 Leagues would probably seem pretty unsophisticated if they were brought back today in their original formats. The technology, while impressive at the time, would look fairly primative these days. It's possible that the fact people miss them has as much to do wanting to relive happy times in the past as it does with the attractions themselves.

Disneyland re-imagined their subs and the attraction is back to todays tech ... and is very popular ... not saying they should have 'Nemoized' ours but something could have been done to re-imagine the attraction using the iconic film's star vehicle ... TDO took the cheap way out (Suprise! :rolleyes: the story about it's demise will really set the fans off) and scrapped the entire fleet but three ... one is behind the land pavilion ... (you can see it on Google earth, just south of the greenhouse) the other two were at Castaway Cay, but I believe it is down to one as I think (not sure) the other became a victim of the hurricane ... but can anyone tell me why they removed the 'Mast' section from the one that remains in the snorkeling area? All that is left is the center tube and portholes ... strange. :shrug:

Tinkerbell 8

Seeing as my first trip to WDW was in 1997, I missed most of the attractions that people are listing, but I wish I could have been there for them since everyone seems to love them so much. Anyways, here's my 3:
1) Stars and Motorcars Parade
2) No designated M&G's, it was cool to walk down a path and run into Jafar, Mickey, etc.
3) Seeing more original/different characters in the parks instead of just the fab 5/Winnie the Pooh.

graphite1326

Although Alien Encounter was one of my favorite rides, I could see that it's popularity was shrinking. So I don't blame WDW for trying to replace it with something new. I don't care for Stitich but I have read that some people here like it, so I guess I can accept that. There were rides that WDW had in the past that I didn't care for and were replace with something I like better. Like the ride that was in the same building as AE and Stitch before. I didn't care for it much and even the CM sarcastically said to me as I was entering "you're going to enjoy this."

Other than that one ride I really don't miss anything else. And I really don't mind that. The point I am trying to make is, if WDW didn't change things it would become boring and people like us would stop coming back. I look forward to changes they make even if maybe one change isn't to my liking there have been other changes I like better.

The Empress Lilly

Three things I miss:

- Immersive, exciting Future World attractions. (Horizons, WoM, JII, UoE)

- Intact Main Street: side street, Cinema that is a cinema, Penny Arcade, specialty shops with unique experiences. (They have them in Universal. :sohappy:)

- Lands without theme breakers: Alladin, Splash Mountain, Pixar Place in Tomorrowland. (One could conceivably argue this worls both ways: the theme breaker of 20k is no gone from FL)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom