3 day drive with a 2 year old... Help!?

WDWlife

We are driving from New York to Disney with our rather pleasant 2 year old. (though will he still be pleasant after multiple hours in a car?) We want to take it slow to not torture him too much and plan to stop as needed. So this is a call out to those seasoned WDW parents who drive to give tips for our amateur itinerary for the road.

Note: This is a one way trip as the family will be relocating for my job with Disney. All times are "Google Map Guesses." And we want to see a few "sites" on the way.

Friday
~ 10am - Leave NYC
~ 3 pm - Break (3-6) in Washington DC to run/ play/ stretch at the National Mall (any good playgrounds?)
~ 6 pm - drive to Raleigh, NC
~ 12am - Arrive & sleep in a hotel (Raleigh, NC)

Saturday
~ Morning - Breakfast with friends in Raleigh
~ 1 am Leave Raleigh, NC around D's regular nap time
~ 8 pm Arrive in Savannah, GA. (Stay in a hotel near downtown)

Sunday
~ Morning - See a little of Savannah (Emphasis on little) ** Any good toddler spots?
~ 12pm - Leave to WDW - Again around D's regular nap time (include a few stops as needed)
~ 6pm - Arrive in WDW Apartment

Please let me know if this may be not be do-able. Though we are very "go with the flow". Particularly interested in good toddler stops along the way and in Raleigh and Savannah.

Thanks!

csm7030

Cool, what kind of job are you starting with Disney? I work for the federal gov't in Northern Virginia now, but used to be stationed in Orlando. We lived in Celebration and my wife worked for Disney for a little while.

Being from New York City, I'm sure you are no stranger to traffic, but let me warn you that the Washington, DC, traffic heading south through Virginia to North Carolina at that time of day is really bad. It will be even worse on a Friday! It could easily add 2 to 3 hours to the time estimates from Google or MapQuest. From Washington, DC, almost through Richmond, VA, it will be stop and go. If there is an accident, which is quite common, plan on more stop than go! Just a warning to plan for it in your schedule.

Upvote 0

monorailguy01

Yea I saw cops walk out into the middle of the highway and point at cars to tell them to pull over... very very unsafe... :lol: so I would say just be carefull when you get down to those states...... have a safe and fun time...

I dont think your 2yr old would be any problem, he will mostlikey be looking out the windows to see whats going on. You know how kids are always curious to see whats up.....

Will this be your kids first trip down to WDW?

Upvote 0

WDWlife

Original Poster
Cool, what kind of job are you starting with Disney? I work for the federal gov't in Northern Virginia now, but used to be stationed in Orlando. We lived in Celebration and my wife worked for Disney for a little while.

Being from New York City, I'm sure you are no stranger to traffic, but let me warn you that the Washington, DC, traffic heading south through Virginia to North Carolina at that time of day is really bad. It will be even worse on a Friday! It could easily add 2 to 3 hours to the time estimates from Google or MapQuest. From Washington, DC, almost through Richmond, VA, it will be stop and go. If there is an accident, which is quite common, plan on more stop than go! Just a warning to plan for it in your schedule.

Thanks for the heads up on DC traffic - Of course I should have thought of that. Perhaps we can switch to a mid-week trip.

And I'm in the new "Finding Nemo - The Musical" at DAK.

And to answer the other question- Yes, it is my boy's first trip to WDW and I cannot wait to see his eyes light up. I've been getting him ready. I wonder if living at Disney World will be the amazing for him (you know with all the "happiness") or would it screw up a child's view of the world or even over load him?

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Travel from NY on a weekend if possible, it will make it easier to get thru DC and Virginia. Not sure of your route (we are above the Tappan Zee), but we take 287 to the NJ Turnpike and hook up with 95 that way. Getting over the Woodrow Wilson Bridge (from Maryland into VA) can be hellish during the week...we lost 3 hours there last trip just due to the volume of traffic. If you run into accidents or construction then forget it altogether! There are roads around DC to avoid the traffic, but it looks like you want to visit there.

We have travelled with our kids when they were small and if you can keep them awake as much as possible before you leave then they should sleep for a good bit. Have some small toys and some kid friendly snacks available because you won't always be able to stop when they are hungry.

Good luck! :wave:

Upvote 0

campdisney

Simply: lots of stops and lots of snacks.

Plan to stop at parks or places with playlands and then allow for at least an hour's stay for your child to get the wiggles out. We did roadtrips a lot when our kids were young (still do now as well). Stoping and playing does wonders for their disposition, and it helps wear them out so they fall asleep for good portions of the ride.

As far as snacks, pick protein snacks whenever possible and avoid sugary treats and juices. Crackers with cheese/peanut butter, apples slices with cheese or peanut butter are some good choices as well as 100% fruit or vruit juice boxes. The protein stablizes blood sugar so a child is on a more even kiel. Sugary treats/juices do the exact opposite to blood sugar and can cause figeting, crabbiness, restlessness etc. You'll get enough of that anyway from the child sitting still for so long on the trip - no need to add to it.

Some parents use DVD players. Not my personal choice, but with a young child, I can imagine it would be useful at times to let Blue & Dora take over for a bit. I've always prefered a favorite book or two, a favorite snuggle toy and blankey -- packed in one of those seat organizers that hang off the back of one of the front seat. If the child is old enough, crayons and coloring pages are also good fun. We had great luck with those invisible magic marker sets from Crayola (I forget the proper name but the only mark on "magic" Crayola paper and not on anything else). Also plan on having a several good sing-a-long CDs as well (three days is a long time in a car -- variety is a good thing here).

Best of luck to you on both the trip and the new job!

Upvote 0

metscool

Hey. I heard from my aunt that if you drive into Atlanta after 3 you will be in traffic for a long time. See what I am doing when I move is that I am driving straight though until I get to Jacksonville, FL. That is where my grandmother lives. Then the next day I am going to Orlando. Then I am moving in that day.

Upvote 0

Ashleigh

We drove down to Disney from Michigan with my 15 month old daughter and did it all in a day and a half. My husband and I took turns driving over night and that helped us out tremedously because my daughter slept the whole time. We had planned extra time to stop, but didn't need to because she handled the car ride so well. When she was awake we planned to have stops every couple of hours to let her run. We tried to find any Mcdonald's with a playland to let her play and we would usually just refill her milk cup when we stopped. We also had a portable DVD player. We didn't use it all the time, but it did help when she was getting restless and tired. We would turn it on for about 15 mins and the next thing we knew she was asleep. We also had tons of sing-a-long music CD's. We actually took a bunch of Disney songs that she might hear down there and played those for her - she loved it. I hope this helps - I just know that every child is so different you probably won't know how it will go until you start the trip. Good luck with your new job and have a fun trip down to Disney!

Upvote 0

TwoTigersMom

We drove down to Disney from Michigan with my 15 month old daughter and did it all in a day and a half. My husband and I took turns driving over night and that helped us out tremedously because my daughter slept the whole time. We had planned extra time to stop, but didn't need to because she handled the car ride so well. When she was awake we planned to have stops every couple of hours to let her run. We tried to find any Mcdonald's with a playland to let her play and we would usually just refill her milk cup when we stopped. We also had a portable DVD player. We didn't use it all the time, but it did help when she was getting restless and tired. We would turn it on for about 15 mins and the next thing we knew she was asleep. We also had tons of sing-a-long music CD's. We actually took a bunch of Disney songs that she might hear down there and played those for her - she loved it. I hope this helps - I just know that every child is so different you probably won't know how it will go until you start the trip. Good luck with your new job and have a fun trip down to Disney!

We always do the drive at night thing. DH will go to bed around 5pm the day we leave. Then we get in the car at midnight to head out. Usually, by 6am we stop for some breakfast. After breakfast, DS usually falls back asleep until we get there. Of course, when we get there DH takes a nap for a little while. Coming back home DS will nap occasionally. We have a DVD player in the car so when it's time for a new movie it's usually time for a rest stop as well for us.

Upvote 0

ParkHopper128

This may not be very helpfull since Im sure you already have hotels booked an all but I live about 10 minutes south of Raleigh, I have a 2 year old as well and I have done this drive about 15 times.

We wake at the crack of dawn and get the kid in the car before she has her morning coffee err milk.

The less awake non driving time the better as the longer the day goes on the crackier they get.

Raleigh to disney is an 8 1/2 to 9 1/2 hout tops drive that breaks up very nicely based on state boarders and the all welcoming Daytona USA which means only one thing (no not NASCAR this time) it means RT 4 !!!!!

Get out of meeting friends in NC are friends really worth an extra day at Disney? As for sight seeing in Savanah, if Savanah was worth missing time in WDW then it would be featured at The American Adventure in Epcot and guess why its not there? Gas up there (lower taxes) and get on yoru way to the Walt Disney World Gate !!!

Upvote 0

WDWlife

Original Poster
This may not be very helpfull since Im sure you already have hotels booked an all but I live about 10 minutes south of Raleigh, I have a 2 year old as well and I have done this drive about 15 times.

We wake at the crack of dawn and get the kid in the car before she has her morning coffee err milk.

The less awake non driving time the better as the longer the day goes on the crackier they get.

Raleigh to disney is an 8 1/2 to 9 1/2 hout tops drive that breaks up very nicely based on state boarders and the all welcoming Daytona USA which means only one thing (no not NASCAR this time) it means RT 4 !!!!!

Get out of meeting friends in NC are friends really worth an extra day at Disney? As for sight seeing in Savanah, if Savanah was worth missing time in WDW then it would be featured at The American Adventure in Epcot and guess why its not there? Gas up there (lower taxes) and get on yoru way to the Walt Disney World Gate !!!

You are very funny. No hotels booked yet. We leave on Sept 9th. Only 9 1/2 hours to WDW you say? I like that idea. Leave a nice and early while he's still groggy...? I was just thinking that we could take advantage of the afternoon nap time. But this would save a night of hotel costs. Could we still leave in the late morning and get in by 9 or 10?

Who's butt will your hand be in?

No 'butts' at all. I believe these are a different kind of Puppet. (Though I have yet to see them finished) Think more "Lion King" on Broadway I will be playing Marlin.

Upvote 0

3fordisney

We made the trip when our son was 2, though not near the distance you have to drive. He did well in the car. We do have a dvd player in the car. He slept more on that trip and took 2 to 3 naps. We made a point to get him out of the car often to stretch his legs. We probably stopped at every rest area from here to WDW. The dvd player did distract him for longer periods of time and we find it handy when we travel.

Last year, we had car trouble. Our 9 hour trip became 13 hours. He did great. It was a terrible way to start a vacation, but we are laughing about it now.

Make frequent stops and take your time to walk and stretch your legs. If you do go the option of a dvd player, there are Disney Sing-A-Long movies on dvd to help your child become familiar with the parks. We played them for our son before we left so he would get an idea of where we were going.

Hope this helps and Have a safe trip!!

Upvote 0

lcsrig

I vote for the DVD player and some Little Eistien videos!! Crayola Color Wonder markers and fingerpaint that work ONLY on their special paper!! Books, books and more books. Cheap tape player with books on tape. You can find them at Books a Million and such.
Good Luck and I can't wait to see the show in Feb! I'll be the one smiling through tears just so happy to be HOME.

Upvote 0

luvGoofy

We did a two day drive from Maryland with a 5 year old and a 2 year old and what saved our sanity was the portable dvd player. The one we have you can also hook up a video game to one or the other screens while watching a dvd on the other. We have v-smile and they played games and watched disney movies the whole ride and we never heard a peep from them. We just stopped and took breaks and it was actually a rather pleasant ride. We are trying it again in December.:D

Upvote 0

MouseearsDeb

Another vote for the DVD player. It has been a godsend! First trip using it was DS's 3rd Bday in 2004! Looking out the window works for a little while but soon every tree looks the same. I bought a hard shell cd case and filled it with an assortment of movies DS3 and DS12 would both enjoy. This worked great. We will definitely be bringing it along this year if we drive. (most likely we will with the new security precautions coming into effect at airports) Another thing I did, was to sit with DS3 and view the WDW website, mainly the attractions section. It really got him excited. I don't know which end of 2 yours is, but it also helped introduce him to what to expect. That way the rides/shows weren't as frightening.

Upvote 0
We've made the drive many times and one "trick" that we found helpful was to buy some paper bags, and put a small treat/toy in each bag and give to your toddler every hour. These goody bags can be decorated too. Books, age appropriate toys, stickers, play doh,crayons, coloring books, small stuffed animals all are great. Add meals and snacks/drinks in between and it adds up to lots of entertained time. We found the DVD to be very helpful and also driving at night. Good Luck!!:wave:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom