2nd and 3rd parks at Shanghai Disney Resort

Haymarket

Original Poster
This is purportedly from the 2010 master plan of the Shanghai Disneyland Resort. Just as others have said here, citing local media, the resort will eventually have three parks.

ac745587ly1h6r8h90hu1j20yx0u04be.jpeg

Things change of course (for example, the southeast corner was plotted for hotels, but is retail space now), but what do you think the second and third parks might be, at least in this illustration?

Second park zoom-in:
ac745587ly1h6r8gnjv3uj20zm0u0472.jpeg

Third park zoom-in:
ac745587ly1h6r8kq7dvjj21c10u0k2y.jpeg

Last edited:

denyuntilcaught

This is really fun to simply blue sky about. This is the first time I've seen a complete plan, even from a decade ago. I knew a second park was always in the design, but a third? Looks like it'd be more of a boutique offering.

Robbiem

The third park looks like a much smaller version of Animal Kingdom.
I remember reading somewhere that the second and third gates would be an animal kingdom and a version of epcot

Personally I’d like to see some new concepts a park based on myths and legends or Disneysea with different themed ports would be nice - anything but another studio park!

Haymarket

Original Poster
If they do have an Animal Kingdom park, I hope they give the animals plenty of space, as at DAK, and show the Chinese best practices in animal care.

Last edited:

co10064

Premium Member
A little late to the thread here, but this is an excellent find @Haymarket!

I agree that plans like this are often placeholders, not concrete plans (think Disneyland Forward).

That being said, the second park definitely looks like some version of Hollywood Studios (or more aptly, MGM). You can see the hidden Mickey in the aerial layout just like the original MGM, along with the Chinese Theater and Residential Street (backlot tour).

The third park looks like an Animal Kingdom but there's no Safari (which is the biggest draw of the park IMO).

Haymarket

Original Poster
A little late to the thread here, but this is an excellent find @Haymarket!

I agree that plans like this are often placeholders, not concrete plans (think Disneyland Forward).

That being said, the second park definitely looks like some version of Hollywood Studios (or more aptly, MGM). You can see the hidden Mickey in the aerial layout just like the original MGM, along with the Chinese Theater and Residential Street (backlot tour).

The third park looks like an Animal Kingdom but there's no Safari (which is the biggest draw of the park IMO).
It took me a couple minutes to see the hidden Mickey!

Another studio park? I know it's a placeholder, but ack!

I've seen a few analyses saying that the era of the "behind the scenes" studio park is over. I'm hoping that's true, and that this doesn't become reality; something else would be great.

My take is that the only contemporary non-castle, global-calibre theme park formats are Animal Kingdom, DisneySea, and the full-on immersion in different lands of an Epic Universe. I wonder if they'll go with one of those (probably) or something new (unlikely).

Here's resort overview analysis from a local fan who seems to have "broken" the third hotel story.

Last edited:

Haymarket

Original Poster
Master plans are intended to show potential uses in a very generic sense. They’re not based on considered ideas.

Does anyone think Universal ever seriously considered building a mirror of Universal Studios Florida next door to Universal Studios Beijing? Using an existing plan is an easy way to demonstrate feasibility without doing fruitless work.

We get it: they're placeholders. Understood. Thanks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom