21+ KTTW or magicbands would be lovely...

jmorri26

Original Poster
Most of you won't share this dilemma, but I'm quite young looking and pushing 30. I get carded, especially at WDW, almost constantly. Even with a baby under one arm and my parents around to verify I am, in fact, their adult spawn, they want the id or no drinky for me. And I hate having my license with me in the parks. It always seemed silly to me they didn't adopt a system like cruise ships do where the KTTW cards or bands are easily identifiable as over or under 21. I noticed at DL they use your photo upon entering instead of prints so it seems easy to verify identity if they had a similar method. Maybe others have thought this, but I've never seen it mentioned here. I just want to be able to buy my tequila without feeling like a sneaky convict trying to do so. Any thoughts, young-uns out there? :)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I seriously doubt that at KTTW card meets the legal definition of an acceptable form of ID that can be used to purchase alcohol.

jmorri26

Original Poster
I seriously doubt that at KTTW card meets the legal definition of an acceptable form of ID that can be used to purchase alcohol.
That's what I wonder- it does on cruise ships. Maybe the whole "international waters" bit they say changes things? Besides, its not an id- you show proof of id to get the card, so you've already verified it, its just tying it to you.

jmorri26

Original Poster
They are not government issued id bearing your image, date of birth, and an expiration date.

Same as I said above, I know that, but it's not your credit card either, yet it has charging privileges. Your card is verified when you check in with a valid photo id saying yes I'm over 21, and within the confines of WDW, that if you're holding that card you're who you said you were when you received it. Same as a club or bar that checks and stamps you 21+ or not. You don't get carded after that once you've proven it once.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Around here some places check your id once and you get a wristband or hand stamp proving your 21 or older. Do they allow wrist bands or hand stamps at bars, night clubs or concerts in Florida? If so they 21 and older Magic Band would be possible legally.

LizC

I am with you @jmorri26 I would love to be able to leave my ID. The less I have to carry the better!

Maybe they don't want to promote the drinking aspect of the parks?

Bparso87

I hate getting carded. Every time time I think I am going to get carded I don't. And when I don't have my wallet ready bc I have not got carded yet they card me then I have to take it out my wallet and hold the line up. :banghead:

shuflemstr

The only problem I see with that is lets say a group of college kids go to WDW. All are over 21 with the exception of one person who is 20. Lets assume that the magic bands they were given were ones for people 21 and older, with the exception of the one 20 year old. What would stop one of their friends from giving the underage person their magic band and the other person just use their own driver's license for id? If they had something more permanent that couldn't be easily removed without destroying it, therefore making it obvious that someone took it off then put it back on, then maybe. I just can't get the thought of using something for id for alcohol that didn't include a picture and date of birth. Just my 2 cents.

WDWYankee15

Around here some places check your id once and you get a wristband or hand stamp proving your 21 or older. Do they allow wrist bands or hand stamps at bars, night clubs or concerts in Florida? If so they 21 and older Magic Band would be possible legally.

That happens in most places but tynically does not absolve anyone who serves alcohol. I'm from NY and while this practice is done all over, it is the ultimate responsiblity of the server to make sure who they serve is 21+. They put a lot of faith and trust in bouncers and doormen when it is they who are really on the line. most bartenders do not even realize it.

Of course what is legal and what is common practice are two seperate things. I wouold NEVER go anywhere without an ID regardless of how old you are. Simple fact is that without ID you have no proof who you are. If unfortunetly you are not conscience to tell someone then you could be in a real issue.

jmorri26

Original Poster
The only problem I see with that is lets say a group of college kids go to WDW. All are over 21 with the exception of one person who is 20. Lets assume that the magic bands they were given were ones for people 21 and older, with the exception of the one 20 year old. What would stop one of their friends from giving the underage person their magic band and the other person just use their own driver's license for id? If they had something more permanent that couldn't be easily removed without destroying it, therefore making it obvious that someone took it off then put it back on, then maybe. I just can't get the thought of using something for id for alcohol that didn't include a picture and date of birth. Just my 2 cents.

I'm with you here. That's why I was thinking it seems so easy to implement something like the DL ticket system that uses a photo they take of you first day. So if the bartender swiped your band or card, your face would pop up on their screen before they completed the purchase?

shuflemstr

I'm with you here. That's why I was thinking it seems so easy to implement something like the DL ticket system that uses a photo they take of you first day. So if the bartender swiped your band or card, your face would pop up on their screen before they completed the purchase?

If they were able to include a photo with the band or kttw card, then i could go along with that, but ONLY if they had the photo

shuflemstr

If they were able to include a photo with the band or kttw card, then i could go along with that, but ONLY if they had the photo

But I wonder how something like this would work at restaurants that don't have bars. Someone would have to walk around with a iPad or something to be able to check everyone's cards or bands. Imagine the extra cost to do that at the restaurants

jmorri26

Original Poster
But I wonder how something like this would work at restaurants that don't have bars. Someone would have to walk around with a iPad or something to be able to check everyone's cards or bands. Imagine the extra cost to do that at the restaurants

You mean like the handheld ones they use now for the MyMagic system at all the restaurants? ;)

shuflemstr

You mean like the handheld ones they use now for the MyMagic system at all the restaurants? ;)

I haven't seen the new handhelds. Didn't know they had them. When i went in July i didn't eat at any sit down restaurants to be able to see that. When I was there in May I didn't see anything like that so when I go in September it would be interesting to see it. I'm sorry I didn't know that they already had something

jmorri26

Original Poster
I haven't seen the new handhelds. Didn't know they had them. When i went in July i didn't eat at any sit down restaurants to be able to see that. When I was there in May I didn't see anything like that so when I go in September it would be interesting to see it. I'm sorry I didn't know that they already had something
No worries:) That's the only reason this seemed so off to me they haven't tried, at least a test, sooner for something like that. The tech is all there, they just need to use it.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
It can be a hassle to carry around the id, but be glad you look young. Hopefully it will last so that when all your friends your age are old and wrinkled you'll still look like a spring chicken!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom